LASEK Eye Surgery - My Log

Man of Honour
It is still one of the best things I've ever done to myself but with all things there are always risks.

As I said and I wish you speedy recovery and hope you get back to a comfortable situation and you enjoy perfect vision soon!

Soldato
Hang in there fella.

I had LASIK initially when I had my eyes done, but due to complications I had to have LASEK further down the line on my left eye - all I can remember is that the recovery was absolutely hellish and I only had one eye done. Nothing much that I can really say, just try and gut it out.

Even with all the ongoing problems with my left eye I think that it is still the best money that I've ever spent.

Man of Honour
I have a consultation next week and I am pretty much the same prescription as the OP. Reading your posts just gave me flashbacks to getting a load of CS in my eyes. I'm shuddering at the thought...

Oh no, not at all. Just making sure my intentions are clear. I expect, and damn well hope, that in a month of two I can confidentially report it was the right thing to do and I would do it all again.

People should also realise I have had LASEK. While it is considered a safer option for someone who is at risk of trauma associated with LASIK it is a much, much more uncomfortable procedure to recover from. LASIK produces a thicker 'flap' and interacts with the optical nerves at a deeper level. LASEK operates at the very fringe layers of the eye and disrupts nerve endings with a much higher chance of continued discomfort and longer recovery.

I suppose I'll probably be advised the same procedure for the same reasons then. Great :(

Soldato
OP
Burnsy - Honestly, LASEK is the right call.

A LASIK flap will never fully heal. LASEK offers a longer total recovery time and longer short term discomfort but is worth it.

Just think of the possible situations of flap trauma.

Airbag deployment, combative customers even some training gets a bit hands on!

Man of Honour
The lack of painkillers has probably made it a million times worse. Codeine based painkillers remove all pain for me.
Got to day hasn't put me off still want it done in the next few years.

hopefully once healed you will be happy.

Soldato
I had LASEK nearly 4 years ago. The results have been great for me but I had about two weeks of pain, watering eyes and my eye sight going from amazing to poor in the space of a day. The first couple days I had to sit in a totally dark room and the pain was horrific. I was convinced I'd made a bad decision and thought I'd never see again, after that the pain eased but my vision was still fluctuating wildly.

I had an eye test a few weeks back and my vision is now perfect and I don't need glasses at all. I was originally -8 in each eye so I'm pretty happy with the results! It did take a good few months for my sight to settle down totally and they discharged me after a year instead of 6 months. If you can put up with a few weeks of pain, I'd recommend it to anyone.. It's the best thing I've ever done!

Man of Honour
I'll definitely be going down this route at some point having worn glasses/contacts since I was 3 years old it'll be nice to finally be free of them although experiences like this definitely give you something else to think about it would be silly to just look at these sort of things through rose tinted everything is always fine glasses, it is basically eye surgery after all!

Caporegime
I know I always post doom and gloom in threads like this but its because of the stories I hear from my wife, the OPs scenario all to familiar to her.

Hope it gets better, and soon, Sin_Chase.

ADT

ADT

Associate
Unlucky about the experience dude. I have been wearing glasses since 10 and recently have been considering getting this done. My cousin had it done years ago and it was flawless for her. After the mixed experiences I hear about this operation I would rather stick with glasses to be honest

Soldato
I have had the same procedure and process as yourself with LASEK surgery but this was almost 5-6 years ago, pretty much the same experience you have got it spot on. I also had similar levels of eye prescription as yourself.

What I can tell you is it is still the best thing I have ever done in my life, the ability to walk out on a rainy day or wake up each morning with 20/20 is a gift to cherish. No more cleaning your lenses just complete depth of clear vision!

People may initially be put off with the burning smell of your eye balls and the thought of the laser but imo the actual surgery is relative pain free.

When I had lasek done it took about 10 minutes, less pain then a filling at the dentist.

The real pain comes afterwards like you describe ;) in the shape of stinging and jabbing pain from behind your eye ball, they would last seconds to a minute or 2 but the more you think about it the worse it gets. I just slept it off for 2-3 days in a dark room while listening to my music collection.

After 3 days was up and about, about a week later was about 17-18.... I use to look outside my window trying to read car licence plates from afar, it was so much fun lol !

I also had the ghosting effect as you described looking at LCD timers on clocks and vcrs were terrible. About 4-6 weeks was 19-19...... about 2-3 months perhaps it started to level itself ie reduce a bit in sharpness but this is quite normal so don't worry but it was now 20-20! It may settle a bit more after 6 months even but your eyes will be fully healed by then.

6 years later my recent last eye check and he said you still got 20/20, not bad considering my old boss told me I wasted 2k since my eyes would go back to normal after a year or 2 but then he was always a right ass ;)

For the sake of a few days pain, sod it you have to think of the end result more then the pain and given the option I would do it again in a heart beat. I have had food poisoning, really bad fevers and even 2 wisdom teeth plucked out at same time and tbh they were all far more painful and worse experiences, just like in life ride it out to the other side :)

Man of Honour
I'll be considering this in a few years. I hate wearing glasses and don't get on with contacts so avoid both unless driving. The short term pain would be worth it.

Good luck OP.

Man of Honour
, not bad considering my old boss told me I wasted 2k since my eyes would go back to normal after a year or 2 but then he was always a right ass ;)

I don't get why so many people think this, they don't go back. They still degenerate with age, but rather than degenerating at say -2.5 you are starting your downward slope now at 20/20 so you're still better off, and those with astigmatism are even better off as that doesn't come back.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty on my right eye in 2013 done by excellent professionals at the NHS as well as Corneal collagen crosslinking (CXL) on my left eye - this procedure was Private as it isn't NICE approved.

Suffice to say CXL was very very painful once the anesthetic wore off and at three years average recovery time DALK is the long haul.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I don't get why so many people think this, they don't go back. They still degenerate with age, but rather than degenerating at say -2.5 you are start your downward slope now starts at 20/20 so you're still better off, and those with astigmatism are even better off as that doesn't come back.

Indeed.

Age related macular degeneration is not yet cureable. But stem cells will soon put an end to that :).

Soldato
I have noticed that the pricing for this type of procedure seems to be like getting a car insurance quote, they seem to be pulling numbers out of their arse most of the time.

I was originally quoted £3k for mine but by waiting for a week and saying I was going for consultations elsewhere they dropped it to £2k!

Soldato
Yup obviously with old age your eyes do get worse but id rather be say 18-18 in 10 years then still wiping clean my glasses every 5 minutes, now I just blink and refresh my eyes.

I forgot to mention for anyone who has had laser surgery to do a few more regular blinks.... it keeps your eyes refreshed and moistened and healthy its probably why I am not minus 3 and still 20/20.

Look around for companies I went optimax and used a 50% off voucher so got it reduced from 4K to 2k, they had all the finance and plans open back then. Just checked here:

http://www.optimax.co.uk/treatment_costs/special_offers.aspx

800 quid per eye so £1,600 which is still cheaper then what I paid 6 years ago.

Soldato
Had eye surgery must be 10 years ago. Eyes are now slowly degrading with age but a) its been great not having to wear glasses (still don't), and b) I have saved 1000's of pounds not having to buy glasses :)

Exactly how I see it, I would end up getting good solid frames £100+ and then glazing and anti reflector glaze and what not and then a 2nd pair and £300 gone afterwards no way doing that every year or 2 lol

If you can get surgery for under 2K I reckon its worth it and plenty offers and deals about just gotta shop around.

Back
Top Bottom