• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Freezing Up For Short Periods -- AMD FX6300 Black Edition

Associate
Hi,

I am having a problem with my CPU and I do not know what steps to take to resolve the situation. When browsing the internet or using file explorer (small tasks), occasionally (once or twice per long use) my CPU usage will trickle down from say 10-20% to 5%, 4%, 3% .... all the way down to 0%, therefore freezing my system for around 30-60secs, its so frustrating, after that time delay, everything goes back to normal (10-20%). The strange thing is, this never happens when I am running my CPU at higher usages, playing games, streaming videos etc. I have noticed it happening whilst on Google Chrome, Internet Explorer and whilst using file explorer, both happening on Windows 7 and 8.

My current set up is:

--- AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (3.5/4.1GHz, 8MB Level 3 Cache, 6MB Level 2 Cache, Socket AM3+, 95W, Retail Boxed)
--- Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AMD 970 Motherboard (Socket AM3+, DDR3, S-ATA 600, ATX, PCI Express 2.0 x16, USB 3.0)
--- Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit, English, 1 Pack, DSP OEI (PC)
--- Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X WindForce 3X OC 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
--- BeQuiet Pure Power L8 500W '80 Plus Bronze' Power Supply - With 120mm Silent Wing Fan Built in
--- Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (PVI38G160C9K)
--- Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler
--- Seagate ST1000DM003 3.5 inch 1TB Barracuda Hard Drive
--- Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5 inch Basic SATA Solid State Drive

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rich.

Associate
I'm using the same board and processor and never had that problem. Is everything set to automatic in the BIOS? when I had a tinker with setting things manually I had a lot of strange problems with the CPU clocking down and not boosting correctly.

Associate
OP
I have tried updating the BIOS, I had the same problem within minutes of rebooting.

Nkata, disabling core parking seems to have stopped the problem, at the moment *touch wood* Although I feel this is masking an underlying problem somewhere, maybe in the BIOS settings?

Soldato
I have tried updating the BIOS, I had the same problem within minutes of rebooting.

Nkata, disabling core parking seems to have stopped the problem, at the moment *touch wood* Although I feel this is masking an underlying problem somewhere, maybe in the BIOS settings?

What browser are you using? What antivirus?
Have you run tests on the hdd/ssd and memory. Set the memory manually in the bios to suit the label. Up the memory voltage a touch to 1.6-1.65V
Monitor the memory usage while browsing.
It could be a bad setting in the bios, try changing the sleep mode settings. Or in the windows power settings.
Graphics card 2d mode settings, check.

Soldato
To be honest with you your CPU is never going to work properly in Windows 7 because Windows 7 simply does not support it.

Microsoft tried applying a couple of half arsed patches but they didn't work very well so they pulled them.

With Windows 8 however? AMD made sure they were fully and properly supported. You would not have the core parking issue if you were using 8 because it supports the structure of the FX series properly.

Try what's been suggested, and also run CPUZ and see what is happening to your clock speeds. Once you rule out any wrongdoings with the hardware then I'm afraid it will come down to software.

Soldato
I'd test things individually to try and pinpoint what's causing it. Remove any overclocks before testing.

CPU - Prime95 and OCCT
Ram - Memtest86
GPU - run a loop of heaven benchmark or OCCT gpu on error test mode using the max amount of vram.

Win7 might not be optimised for the fx architecture, but I never had random freezes using an 8350.

My money's on the Ram.

Back
Top Bottom