Tyre Blowout, need advice..

Man of Honour
I've got a rear that loses about 8 psi a week. Given that I only drive it about twice a week, I just pump it up before I drive it.

This thread has given me a kick up the arse, I'll go get it sorted on Monday.

I had the same kind of thing on my front driver side. Had to get out the cig lighter pump every saturday. I eventually just got it replaced, as I knew I would kick myself quite hard if it blew at 70.

It's nicer driving without it always in the back of my mind now.

Soldato
I had the same kind of thing on my front driver side. Had to get out the cig lighter pump every saturday. I eventually just got it replaced, as I knew I would kick myself quite hard if it blew at 70.

It's nicer driving without it always in the back of my mind now.

Yeah, there's always the nagging feeling "does it feel at bit soft?" when nipping to the supermarket for something a couple of days after pumping it up.

Soldato
Vreds are pretty god I have got them all round on the Cupra. Running them on low pressure wont do them any good.

The downside of the tyre is I can only get them online unless I drive 30 miles and even then he has to order them in.

Soldato
OP
Sorry for the late reply, been busy with work life.

Anyway, the PSI used to drop by 5psi a week. I had the tyre re-sealed and was told there was no buckle in the wheel. Tyre fitter did say ST alloys are known to corrode so maybe that's why but couldn't see a fault in the tyre it's self.

This is what's left of the tyre.

28l46x.jpg
1zqetf7.jpg
htvdeh.jpg

I had Conti SC5's fitted and what a difference they've made. The steering is much better, everything feels better then then Vreds. I had my alignment checked 3 months ago, and everything was adjusted.

Soldato
Let's hope the new tyres wear better than the old. cos that sure as hell was running too much camber/not enough toe in.
The fact you've "driven" it through the whole tread depth and casing suggests it was quite out!
Do you have a copy of the alignment before and after setting?
But the reason it blew is the sidewall failure, you can see its wafer thin. This only happens when you've driven on it deflated or partially inflated.
The trouble with those low profile tyres, you dont notice they are flat quite so easily as a "fat" tyre!

So yea, before you wreck another set of tyres, check the front cambers and/ or front toe was pulled in on that last alignment and double check you haven't got a porous rim because as you say, they are prone for it.
Could also be a crack in the rim. If the new tyre starts going down, get it off that rim!

Last edited:
Soldato
Let's hope the new tyres wear better than the old. cos that sure as hell was running too much camber/not enough toe in.
The fact you've "driven" it through the whole tread depth and casing suggests it was quite out!

Er tyres wear on the edges due to low inflation pressure, FWD cars run a small amount of toe out anyway as under driving the wheels pull themselves straight. RWD cars generally run toe in at the front.

If only the one edge is worn then you might be right but you cannot tell that from the pics shown.

That tyre looks like classic under inflation failure.

Soldato
I had Conti SC5's fitted and what a difference they've made. The steering is much better, everything feels better then then Vreds. I had my alignment checked 3 months ago, and everything was adjusted.

No wonder it drives better, that inside edge has gone plus it looks like its been under inflated for awhile.

Soldato
Er tyres wear on the edges due to low inflation pressure, FWD cars run a small amount of toe out anyway as under driving the wheels pull themselves straight. RWD cars generally run toe in at the front.

If only the one edge is worn then you might be right but you cannot tell that from the pics shown.

That tyre looks like classic under inflation failure.

Tyre wear on THE edges.. This is on one edge, therefore not solely down to low inflation pressure.

and I said pull the toe in, i.e from where it was, it needed pulling in, not necessarilly toe in but just in.
Not that I would generally ever set the front of a fwd road car toe out anyway but that's not for this topic.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry, coming to this thread late.

If you had a slow leak, and then subsequent blowout, then it could be that you had a screw/nail in the tyre causing a slow leak. As you kept on driving, the screw compromised and cut the wires inside the tyre. This deformed the tyre and you had an an inevitable blowout.

I nearly had that years ago. I kept refilling air into a tyre and did not get it repaired when I noticed that that it developed a small fist-sized bubble. Tyre had to be replaced.

Vredestein's are good - you also have the option to buy part worn (+5mm tread) off ebay which can save you some money.

Soldato
Mondeo ST's need 40PSI in the front tyres or you get that wear pattern.

They always wear the inside edges most, but with higher pressures the rest of the tyre will be done before it becomes a problem.

The leaking will be the metal valves if they're still fitted. Bin them and fit rubber ones.

Back
Top Bottom