Lizard squad -why do they do it?

Associate
That's usually the public response to "hacking". The truth is, there was no hacking. It was just a DDOS attack and calling for the "hackers" to actually do something of any merit is giving far too much credit to kids that run off the shelf scripts and more than likely rented a botnet from some far more competent hackers with some bitcoins for the attack.

This. The general public have no way to differentiate between a SK using low orbit ion cannon or the such and someone who's spent a month writing and perfecting a polymorphic 0-day.

Soldato
Best day to do it if you ask me. I know not everyone is lucky enough to have family, but those that do shouldn't be sat in front of a console.

Is this not like saying to your kids you can have a bike for Christmas. Then if someone vandalises it say, its ok you shouldn't be out on it as its family time??????

Odd as hell, not every one is glued to the games console 24/7..

Soldato
http://www.winbeta.org/news/exclusi...squad-why-they-brought-down-xbox-live-and-psn

Taking down Microsoft and Sony networks shows the companies’ inability to protect their consumers and instead shows their true vulnerability. Lizard Squad claims that their actions are simple, take down gaming networks for a short while, and forcing companies to upgrade their security as a result.

I fail to see how a DDOS is anything short of an annoyance. They're not proving anything other than a single point of failure is flawed but everyone knew that already. Theres no security that can protect from this style of attack and its not hurting any users only annoying them.

Caporegime
forcing people to interact on a social level in the real world.

many parents rejoiced

I'm not keen on all this hacking though as you know the governments will start to use them as excuses to control the internet even more

Soldato
You guys should hear the interview with 2 apparent members of Lizard Squad on BBC Radio 5 Live.

One of them was saying that kids should be spending time with families. It was one of you! :p (Please don't take that comment seriously).

They were spouting rubbish about security, etc

Caporegime
Funnily enough I've just read a Facebook thread about this and all the upset children who couldn't play on their new toys.
I suppose I can understand adult gamers needing to 'get a life' on Christmas Day but having a go at children is not on when they have been looking forward to their big present and it ends up being a pile of junk. It's a bit like giving a child a new bike but taking the wheels off.

I remember this too well. When I was ten my father bought me a Tamiya Nissan Skyline RC car. Only for the rear gearing to be missing from the set when we went to build it. That was my main Christmas present that year and it was horrible not being able to play with it Christmas day.

Soldato
Congrats to all the people making a false dilemma. Apparently the only options during christmas are to spend 100 percent of your time playing with your gifts or 100 percent of your time with family.

MAYBE, just MAYBE you could do both?

What about the people who work all those overtime hours, who work really hard all year round and then during christmas want to put all those hours to use by getting a present that will put a smile on their child's face?

For anyone to justify what they do is absurd and just plain ignorant.

Plenty of people will happily say do what makes you happy. But when it's christmas you have to do it how I do it or you're doing it wrong. Who are you to tell people how they should or shouldn't spend their christmas. If someone wants to spend their christmas playing PS4 all day who are you to tell them they can't? Christmas is a made up day, it is no different to any day of the year except you have some sentiments to it. The keyword in that sentence is YOU. People treat christmas day however they want to.

And for people to disrupt the way other people spend their time by enforcing their opinion on others is disgsusting.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Imho, they do it because they can do it, im no net security expert. Perhaps it's their idea of a fun night in the house, (more of a film/book person myself). Must be something they get off on because lets face it, theres sod all on tv.:D

Man of Honour
And for people to disrupt the way other people spend their time by enforcing their opinion on others is disgsusting.

That goes on a lot on here but here is my favourite one from the mid 80s.
I'd bought a new toy and a fellow worker started to verbally tear into me about me always being the first on the block to have a new gadget and all the money I'd wasted.
After a while a fellow worker started laughing and said "but Gordon you smoke 40 a day, spend virtually all your wages on cider & beer and you've got £1000s of fishing gear" when Gordon replied "but that's different" :D
There's a life story in there somewhere.

Soldato
Really annoys me when the media use the word hacking

This is not hacking!!!

Its also quite frequent these things happen, I see ddos attacks quite a lot although sometimes there saturate 9mbps, sometimes 20mbps and do absolutely nothing, sometimes 220mbps +

Motives were probably nothing else that they just wanted to cause a little disruption on Xmas day, and have the news talk about it

Back
Top Bottom