• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Associate
Managed to bend mine back ok can see how it could be a lottery though and I only had one bad pin.

I'm stable at 200x21 for 4.2ghz now at 1.33v in BIOS. Wondering whether to try for 4.4 but suspect the voltage will need eeking a bit closer to 1.4 for that.

Temps in IBT max out at 70 on one core and mid 60s on the others on a D14. Pleased with that :D Feels like it has more to give... the other option of course is to 5v all my fans and enjoy the silence :)

Go for 4.5ghz

Associate
When you say you can't use 4/6 do you mean slots 4 and 6 or 4 of the 6 slots? Can you still get it working in dual channel?

Thanks, four out of six broken, so I have only 8GB (2x4GB dual channel) working of a total 16GB. It's a deal breaker because I do a lot of productivity tasks and of course the RAM wasn't cheap.

Anyone know the equivalent X99 chips?

Ste

Ste

Soldato
I have 4.4ghz (200x22) running at 1.375 VCore and 1.355 QPI with 1.84 CPU PLL. Although CPUZ declares 1.344v. Seems a good chip.

Have had to run level 1 LLC to get vdroop under control.

What do people think? Acceptable? Safe-ish? Or go back to 4.2ghz at 1.33v

Temps under prime95 are 72c on hottest core and 63-68 on the other five.

Associate
I have 4.4ghz (200x22) running at 1.375 VCore and 1.355 QPI with 1.84 CPU PLL. Although CPUZ declares 1.344v. Seems a good chip.

Push it higher.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Can't go any higher without messing with bclk and pulling RAM speeds up etc.

Not really up for the faff of it, 4.4 is a good number :)

Soldato

Been running her at 4.4ghz with 1.375v since I installed it. It is a good example as the volts needed are pretty low.

My chip goes to 4.5ghz but it needs 1.4v which is a bit much I think. Ok for benching if you feel the need I guess.

Just for kicks I tried it at 4.2ghz the other day and it does this with only 1.3v (could tweak it with even lower volts I reckon) Runs so much cooler! Means my rad fans don't spin up so fast when gaming etc (I've 2x 7970's in the loop as well)

To be honest I cant even notice the missing 200hz. Just feels the same as my everyday 4.4ghz profile. But the temps are about 9c lower at load, that's a big difference especially when you have 2x hot gfx cards to cool as well (waiting for amd's next big offering)

I'd say run ya chip at 4.2ghz with sensible temps.

;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Can't go any higher without messing with bclk and pulling RAM speeds up etc.

Not really up for the faff of it, 4.4 is a good number :)

I've been running mine at 4.4ghz (fully stable ;)) with 1.375v since I installed it.

I know my chip goes to 4.5ghz (might even do 4.6) but it needs just under 1.4v which is a bit much I think for everyday use. Ok for benching if you feel the need I guess.

Just for kicks I tried it at 4.2ghz the other day with 1.31v. Runs so much cooler! Means my rad fans don't spin up so fast when gaming etc (I've 2x 7970's in the loop as well)

To be honest I cant even notice the missing 200hz. Just feels the same as my everyday 4.4ghz profile. But the temps are about 9c lower at load, that's a big difference!

I'd say run ya chip at 4.2ghz with sensible temps.

;)

Last edited:

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Most of my cores are 67-68 (one at 64 one at 72) on air at 4.4ghz in IBT or prime95. Which I think is pretty reasonable on air. At 4.2 I think it was only about 5c lower oddly.

I have overclocked SLI 970s so think I'll probably benefit from as much CPU speed as I can muster...

Merry Christmas :)

Soldato
Most of my cores are 67-68 (one at 64 one at 72) on air at 4.4ghz in IBT or prime95. Which I think is pretty reasonable on air. At 4.2 I think it was only about 5c lower oddly.

I have overclocked SLI 970s so think I'll probably benefit from as much CPU speed as I can muster...

Merry Christmas :)

If it's on a separate cooler then why not if its all good.

I think I noticed it more as combined with my power hungry cards (overclocked) it its a fair amount of heat to dump. Still works fine running at 4.4, just the rad fans spin slower running at 4.2. Your 970's are far more efficient, fancy swapping them for my 7970's? :D

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Massively impressed with the 970s, overclocked 200 on core and 500 on memory with an hours effort :) yet to prove them on a several hour session though but signs are good so far.

The CPU is being cooled by my 6 year old Noctua D14 which was also a solid buy... had no idea the whole setup would still be viable so far down the line!

Soldato
Thanks, four out of six broken, so I have only 8GB (2x4GB dual channel) working of a total 16GB. It's a deal breaker because I do a lot of productivity tasks and of course the RAM wasn't cheap.

When you say you do a lot of productivity tasks, are you actually using stuff that would bottleneck on dual-channel? because 99.9% of software doesn't actually need more than dual hence why modern and future mainstream i7's use dual, it was mostly a marketing thing for X58, just like quad on X79 when practically nothing could utilize it (and quad DDR4 on X99 when the is nothing that comes close to needing it).

If your two working slots are on separate channels you can work around the problem by selling the 4x4GB kit and buying a 2x8GB one, in fact doing so may actually give equal performance to tri channel anyway (two 2133MHz sticks is better than three 1333MHz sticks, two 2400MHz sticks is better than three 1600MHz sticks, etc).

Anyone know the equivalent X99 chips?

The isn't really an equivalence thing for X99 as they dropped the quad cores and moved to hex and octo, but I will try and sum it up:

5820K: Hex core with HT, 15MB L3, 3.3-3.6GHz, at stock this will beat any X58 CPU even if it's over clocked (within reason) the reason it's the budget of the X99 line is due to its reduced PCI-E lanes, limiting you to two graphics cards.

5930K: As above but with enough PCI-E lanes for four graphics cards, and runs at 3.5-3.7GHz.

5960X: Octo core with HT, 20MB L3, 3.0-3.5GHz, the daddy of X99.

Associate
Thanks for the detailrd reply but it wasnt the lanes im worried about, was simply not havin the ram available to the system. I did think of selling up the 4x4gb sticks and buying 2x8GB but i'm already in a huff with myself for not buying 2x8gb originally, heh.

I looked at the 5820k and asus mobo bundle here on OcUK but remembered it uses DDR4 so a would still have to shell out on more ram anyways. Thanks for the info though :)

Associate
Just installed a couple of these in my UD5 and UD3R boards and both running perfectly so far. Only oveclocked to 3.4Ghz and suspect I wont go any further as I really have no need to. They already give me about double the previous Cinebench score so thats good enough for me.

Excellent upgrade :)

Ste

Ste

Soldato
Been reading the massive x58 xeon thread over at [H].

Seems the consensus there is that there is a bit of headroom in the VID to 1.4v - 1.45v before things get dangerous but that pushing VTT (QPI) about 1.35v is an absolute no. Interpreting the intel spec sheets seems to be a bit subjective though but I'm no longer quite as concerned at pumping 1.375v / 1.35v to get 4.4ghz. Will try dropping the QPI and seeing if it's still stable and may go for 4.5 if its stable < 1.4v. Still plenty of headroom on the temps.

All quite interesting, over on H and ExtremeOC they have quite a few people running 4.6ghz (210x22) at 1.35v VTT with 1.45v on the CPU as long as the RAM is suitably slack (running >1600mhz with tight timings starts to demand a lot of the QPI link, i.e. needs voltage over 1.35 at the extreme frequencies we're talking about here).

Not sure I'd go that high but will have a go at 4.5ghz at 1.38-1.39v BIOS. Going to see how low I can get the QPI without failing IBT first and then go up on VCore / bclk from there...

bru

bru

Soldato
Well I finally got my 5650 installed, (even though I want to do a new install of win7 to tidy things up) and with all voltages except Vcore on auto (Vcore of 1.375v) I've got it running at 22*200. I will look into other voltages later to see what can be tweaked, but it survived 10 runs of IBT at maximum. :D Temps seem ok, not bad for only a 240 radiator. I might upgrade to a 360 to try to bring the temps down a bit, but in general use it wont get that hot, so maybe I wont bother.

So far very happy.

6core1.jpg

Caporegime
Still need an X58 board if you guys have any spare. People I contact via my wanted thread keep going quiet, disappearing, changing their minds, or offering me bundles which they don't want to split. Very frustrating. :(

Post in my thread if you have one, to keep in line with the rules. :p

Soldato
Well I finally got my 5650 installed, (even though I want to do a new install of win7 to tidy things up) and with all voltages except Vcore on auto (Vcore of 1.375v) I've got it running at 22*200. I will look into other voltages later to see what can be tweaked, but it survived 10 runs of IBT at maximum. :D Temps seem ok, not bad for only a 240 radiator. I might upgrade to a 360 to try to bring the temps down a bit, but in general use it wont get that hot, so maybe I wont bother.

So far very happy.

6core1.jpg

how have you got a 22x multi ?

bru

bru

Soldato
how have you got a 22x multi ?

It may drop to 21 when more than two cores are loaded...

Some boards have the ability to lock in the turbo multiplier on all cores.

My Asus P6X58D-E for example can lock x22 on my x5650. It'll run 220MHz x 20 for 4.4GHz though so I use that as its slightly faster with the increased RAM speed.

No idea Ive just installed it, changed the bus speed to 200, selected the highest multiplier, wacked up the voltage and bobs your uncle.

Another screen shot under load but this time with prime rather than IBT just in case it was IBT not putting the machine under load correctly.
Updated CPUz to the latest version just in case it is not reporting things properly.

4400GHz.jpg

Also a set of Bios shots so you can see if I have set anything wrong.
I still have no idea about all these voltages..lol ( any help would be great)

bios1.jpg

bios2.jpg

bios3.jpg

bios4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom