M25 South Speed Cameras

Soldato
Driving back from Colchester yesterday I overtook a car on the M25 and saw a camera flash. Pretty sure I was only doing 75mph.

Would this speed of triggered a speed trap? I was wondering if it was a camera on the other side and seeing as it was dark, the flash seemed brighter.

I've also read that they give 10%+2 but not sure how accurate this still is!

Last edited:
Associate
Possibly not, the gf has driven us from Romford South bound on the m25 a few times the last 6 months and been flashed at speeds lower than you'd expect to trigger them as in barely over 70 and nothings come of it but as always expect the unexpected until the time has passed, don't think of it to much as Sod all you can do chap.

Soldato
OP
Possibly not, the gf has driven us from Romford South bound on the m25 a few times the last 6 months and been flashed at speeds lower than you'd expect to trigger them as in barely over 70 and nothings come of it but as always expect the unexpected until the time has passed, don't think of it to much as Sod all you can do chap.

I know but considering the remainder of my journey on the M25 was done at 70 and others blasting past me at 80+ with no flashes past the cameras, seems strange and slightly annoying!

Soldato
Do you know what junction it was and did the flash come from overhead or from the side of the inside lane?

You are probably OK, I've gone past the cameras at the side of the road at just under 80 and not been flashed, it may have just been discharging the flash.

Soldato
OP
Do you know what junction it was and did the flash come from overhead or from the side of the inside lane?

You are probably OK, I've gone past the cameras at the side of the road at just under 80 and not been flashed, it may have just been discharging the flash.

Good questions!

I was on the inside lane and saw a flash in my mirror. It could well be on the inside instead of overhead. I was about 5 junctions away from leaving the M25 to join the M4 Westbound.

Soldato
Was it a flash from the camera or just the light coming from in between the overhead gantry.

I've panicked a couple of time because of this, Especially if not expecting it.

Did it flash twice or just once.

Caporegime
Lots of new cameras fitted to the side of the gantrys on the M25, I see them flashing - sometimes almost constantly- as I trundle around that over sized car park!

Associate
I maybe got flashed (double flash) on the 29th coming back from heathrow anti clockwise on the south west section doing 80 although I'm not 100% sure it was my side of the motorway as it was 6 in the morning and dark there was also another car on my right doing about 90. I googled it and couldn't find any one who had been done on my section of the m25 so it's just wait and see what the postie brings.

Associate
The gantry cameras are now issuing tickets in NSL, and I believe this incudes the ones In the West section. At an indicated 80 I doubt you were the one who activated it so I wouldn't worry, unless there was a variable limit displayed?

Man of Honour
They seem to be flashing a lot at the moment. Have seen them flash a few cars and lorries, but none of which have seemed to be going more than 75mph due to the traffic. Still, plenty of reports of them being active all the time now.

Soldato
I have never received a ticket for any of the countless times I have been flashed on the M25 when no speed restrictions have been in place.

Soldato
You should be fine, I've seen people drive past them at 80mph and not get flashed and looking at other forums (pistonheads) nobody has been caught yet.

Although once I did once see an RS6 change lanes very vigorously and then put his pedal to the metal and flew (never seen such brutal acceleration on the motorway) he got flashed.

Soldato
People have been caught by these as they've recently been switched on - plenty of people on fightback forums have received tickets even when the VSL isn't in use.

However, they do frequently flash when you're below 80MPH - I've been flashed many times and never received a ticket. So if you were doing 75 you'll be fine.

Associate
If you were doing 75 I'm almost 100% certain you will be fine. Don't worry about it.

If they actually issued fines for 5mph over it would be ridiculous and make the police/ highways agency look 'unfair' and unreasonable. As an example, the m25 changes elevation constantly, it's very easy for your speed to creep up to 75 just because the gradient in the road has changed. When it's a monotonous motorway journey it's easy to not realise unless you spend more time with your eyes on the speedo than the road.

Man of Honour
i think you deserve to be fined, not because of speed, but due to using m25 south from the a12 to the m4 when you should have gone north, its less miles and no bridge toll ;)

Soldato
I was returning to Reading from London (Stratford) on NYE and I'm sure I got flashed.. the motorway was reasonably quiet and I was doing 80 MPH (GPS on phone showed 77). There were no speed restrictions - I think this is junction 26/27 (just off the M11)

Positive something flashed and its not just be going crazy...
Hopefully nothing comes of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom