Storage Drive Letters.

Associate
Hey guys my friend is currently having problems with his drive letters on his mini-ITX Windows 8 gaming rig. He uses external hard drives to store an play his games off of but every time he turns on his computer all the drive letters change causing loading problems with his games. We've searched the Internet for help but can't seem to find anything that causes it or how to fix it from doing it again?

jkb

jkb

Associate
I haven't tried to do this but it looks like you can do it from : administrative tools>computer management>disk management, Right click on the drive and then select change drive letter and paths

Associate
OP
Yeah we have tried that already but it doesn't keep the same drive letter when you turn the PC on later if you've turned it off. So he has to change it every time? Was looking for something that stops it from changing

Associate
I'm guessing it's related to the ports they are being connected to. Are you reconnecting back to the same ports with the same drives every time? And is there any BIOS option to have specific ports loaded first? That might solve the issue you have as it sounds like all the ports are being reloaded at different times and subsequently the drive letters move about as they are assigned to the port (USB, Firewire, etc) rather than the drive itself.

Don
Set it to S drive or something else higher than the normal auto assignment

Also, are they usb3 or esata? If not there's a huge bottleneck there for him.

I'd just get an SSD and have it inside the case

Soldato
You could probably set a script to run on startup that will assign the drives as you wish? (I assume they are being assigned by how quickly they are detected, and they are always in the same order)

Back
Top Bottom