Lost my job, What now..

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Savings :/

That only applies to income based. You should still be able to get contributory based JSA, assuming you've paid enough N.I. conts.

Good luck searching for new employment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Savings :/
Having worked for the previous 2 years you'll be on contribution based JSA and savings aren't taken into consideration. Even if you weren't on contribution based congratulations on having more than 16k in the bank.

Who told you that you don't qualify for JSA?

Associate
Sorry for the highjack, but im interested in becoming an electrician, I'm 29 though, would apprenticeships still be a viable route? any ideas?

Sounds like they used the apprentiship schemes for cheap labour...as soon as you qualified they got rid and will now get some other young chap on board paid for by the government.

Don't be too down, I am sure there will be some companies out there looking for people!

I was on an apprentice scheme as well. Minimum wage, but it also included an NVQ level 3 qualification which was all govt-funded. Knowing that I probably wasn't going to be made permanent, I carried on applying for jobs. Eventually, it ended and because I had job applications in the pipeline, I was lucky enough to be offered a perma job elsewhere not long after. I was out of work for about 4 weeks in the end.

For the OP - I find that January / New Year and September are the 2 best times for the job market. Get applying right away!

Soldato
Unicorn said:
Curiosity were u worked? Looking for local ish firms now
Unfortunately Harry Carr Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Ltd went into receivership in 2007, I've been temping ever since.

Try Jacobs L E S, just down the road?

Also Blackrow Engineering are looking for 'Approved Electricians', I would give them a call also >> http://www.blackrow.com/vacancies.php?id=4

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm a mechanical engineer and I've had two calls from agencies today alone.

There's TONS of work out there, just get in touch with recruitment companies and let them do all the work.

If you were in London I'd be able to help you out, but you're not so meh :p

It'll be fine mate, don't stress it ;)

Soldato
OP
Unfortunately Harry Carr Electrical and Mechanical Engineers Ltd went into receivership in 2007, I've been temping ever since.

Try Jacobs L E S, just down the road?

Also Blackrow Engineering are looking for 'Approved Electricians', I would give them a call also >> http://www.blackrow.com/vacancies.php?id=4

Thanks for the link, Ill be sending blackrow a CV tomorrow. Ill be updating my cv tomorrow whilst am at work

Jacobs interviewed me years ago for an apprenticeship but i refused a mechanical apprenticeship from them as i have no interest in it, I prefer electrical and am still glad i took that path over mech.

Thanks all for the advice i know i shouldn't be out of work too long with my skillset but its whilst i wait for my ECS card my worry is no company will look at me whilst i don't have it in my possession as my apprenticeship paperwork is still going through

Total lack of motivation now to finish my month out. Ill obviously turn up for the money but im sure my workload will slip a lot as the loyalty to them for sorting my apprenticeship has now gone as theyve laid me off.

Last edited:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Not sure if serious :p

Why not? They can advise on all manner of work related issues - in and out of work.

When I used to volunteer at the CAB, I used to know more than nearly everyone there, including the paid managers.

Soldato
Friday 13th, unlucky for some. In all seriousness though, I hope you land on your feet. If at any point they start becoming awkward, I would revert to contact via email/post as at least you'll have a record.

Soldato
OP
Friday 13th, unlucky for some. In all seriousness though, I hope you land on your feet. If at any point they start becoming awkward, I would revert to contact via email/post as at least you'll have a record.

I ONLY contact HR through email as it is to keep a record of it all. Same with managers to inform them of important things so i can never have them backtrack. I only text/phone if its things that don't matter or i wouldn't want on record ;)

Back
Top Bottom