MPS debate banning pavement parking totally..

Man of Honour
So you are utterly deluded, so no one will live in 100s of thousands of city houses. 99% of people are car users, you really make zero sense.

Cities were not built with cars in mind, even the newer estates were not built with cars in mind.

You have two options leave it as it is. Or spend 100s of billions re working all major cities. Removing footpaths from one side of road so cars can park, underground parking etc. That isn't going to happen die to cost.

And lol at your responsible nonsense.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Owning/driving a car is a privilege not a right, so I don't get why people are being so "omg I have to be able to park outside my house".

Also, cities/old residential areas weren't build for cars (or with cars in mind) as they didn't exist, so if there isn't space to park (on the road not on pavement) outside your house, you either shouldn't own a car or should move to somewhere you can park safely and legally.

Due to having a car I purposefully moved to a place where I can park safely and off the road, when I next move I will do the same.

Parking half on half off or fully on the pavement is really such a crappy thing to do. I often find it hard to pass parked vehicles on the pavement and I'm fully able bodied and walking, someone in a wheelchair or with a pushchair would find it even harder. I'm all for punishing people to be honest.

Years ago when there were barely any cars ( when the streets were built ) there were local shops, and people didnt have to walk far to work... and there were busses that actually turned up on time and were cheap.

All that has gone now... so to do the shopping you have to trek across or even out of town now, and the busses dont go there anyway! It is not a case of simply saying do not have a car... jobs are now much further away than they were in the past and many people simply cannot get to work with public transport... which sometimes does not even start running until 9!

As for only living somewhere that has allocated parking.... just lol... yes maybe in a city but out in the rest of the country that simply is not an option. I would say a good 80% of the houses in my town have no drive or garden... once you move OUT of the town then you get non terrace detached houses with drives etc.. but in the town its mainly terrace.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll park wherever the hell I deem to be safe and practical, they can do what they like, won't make a difference to me.

Parking to block a path so a wheelchair user can't get past isn't safe or practical.

Anyway, I walk to work these days. I'd hate to go back to driving to work, where I live has most things in walking distance.

Associate
That is my point though. Living in a street does not give you a right to park on it. If you decide to live in a house with no designated parking or a driveway, that is up to you. It is a choice you have made. I have had to turn down lovely houses in the past and have been unable to live in the area I really would have liked for that same reason. I am a car user and make life choices based on the fact that a car is essential to me. As such I have always lived in houses/flats with parking. Sometimes it has meant I am outside of where I want to be by a few miles, but I guess some people think more carefully about their car use than others.

No I agree to some extent, but it goes back to my point above. If you know a car is essential to your daily life, why choose to rent/buy a property where there is no allocated parking?Maybe I am just wrong in the head or something, but proper parking has always been high on my priority list when looking for a place to live. Maybe because half pavement parking is a pet hate of mine, but maybe also because I try to be a responsible person. Probably a bit of both to be honest! :p

You and a couple of others in this thread are completely delusional lol

The vast vast vast majority of people/ families in the UK require a car in order to live a normal, unresticted, cost effectice life. There is a major property crisis in this country - people are constantly being priced out of buying and getting on the ladder and therefore renting is on the increase which then drives rent prices up. Ultimately there is a huge housing shortage and people are struggling to find affordable places to live and putting a roof (any roof) over their head. Not everyone can afford to be so selective and only move into a property if it has a private garage or driveway. A huuuuuuuuge percentage of property in the UK is terraced housing with no allocated parking and or flats with little parking (1 bay per property whether its a 1,2 or 3 bed etc). I've just spent a £340k on a 2 bedroom new build apartment. It comes with a single garage to park your car....I guess I'll keep my car and my wife can get rid of hers and walk 20 miles to work. Maybe I should have been selective and chose a different property......oh wait, this is the most expensive place I can afford and no properties that are less than this in a 15 miles radius come with 2 'allocated' spaces. Your 'why don't people just do this....its easy' theory does not work in the real world.

Last edited:
Associate
Parking half on the pavement is already an offence as far as I know by virtue of the fact that driving on the pavement is illegal and you can't park on a pavement without driving onto it. There are also select councils that actually have clauses that make it illegal.

s72 Highways Act 1835 -
If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.

A car is considered a carriage. I'm sure that I read somewhere that people have successfully defended against prosecution by claiming that the car was not driven onto the pavement, but lifted...

Last edited:
Don
This is my main grip round where I live. The roads are wide enough, yet douche bags insist on parking on the pavements making it impossible to pass whilst I am walking my baby in her pram/buggy. It basically forces me to have to walk in the road, on which one of them is used as a cut through where people blatantly go over 30 mph down it. This puts myself and my child at risk. I also feel sorry for the lady who lives round the corner who is wheel chair bound. She is totally screwed over by these idiots.

I'm all for the ban.

/controversial

This is the crux of the problem really, people parking on the pavements is forcing pedestrians to walk on the road. There isn't an easy solution though

Soldato
Pavements are for people, tarmac is for tyres.

However, it's not just vehicles that cause problems for pedestrians, there are some areas near me that have quite narrow pavements where rubbish bin day causes chaos! Bins left on pavement by householders/bin staff, people (with say a pram) have to walk on the road to get by.

Associate
The theory is nice, but in reality it's completely impractical in most non-London residential areas.

Ironically, if this law was passed, it would cause a huge amount of problems for one of the local bus routes as the bus already wider than half the road width, so there would be no way it would be able to take a large section of it's current route and so would have to either be changed or cut.

Soldato
Most people I have found park reasonably considerately. However, when I used to push the kid's buggies around I did find the culprits tended to share the same taste in cars. Their loss no way I was going around them and into the road so if they got their car scratched then that really wasn't my concern.

Soldato
The theory is nice, but in reality it's completely impractical in most non-London residential areas.

Ironically, if this law was passed, it would cause a huge amount of problems for one of the local bus routes as the bus already wider than half the road width, so there would be no way it would be able to take a large section of it's current route and so would have to either be changed or cut.

Well, I'm pretty sure this would be coupled with covering the majority of residential roads in double yellow lines...

Soldato
About time. With a pushchair and numbnuts parking on the pavement makes me have to go into the road. Ironically, my neighbour is a childminder - and 90% of the parents who drop their kids off block the pavement when they do it (and sometimes even block my drive...).

There would be exceptions if the pavement is wide enough and the road too narrow - mark bays on the pavement with white lines like they do already.

Soldato
You and a couple of others in this thread are completely delusional lol

The vast vast vast majority of people/ families in the UK require a car in order to live a normal, unresticted, cost effectice life. There is a major property crisis in this country - people are constantly being priced out of buying and getting on the ladder and therefore renting is on the increase which then drives rent prices up. Ultimately there is a huge housing shortage and people are struggling to find affordable places to live and putting a roof (any roof) over their head. Not everyone can afford to be so selective and only move into a property if it has a private garage or driveway. A huuuuuuuuge percentage of property in the UK is terraced housing with no allocated parking and or flats with little parking (1 bay per property whether its a 1,2 or 3 bed etc). I've just spent a £340k on a 2 bedroom new build apartment. It comes with a single garage to park your car....I guess I'll keep my car and my wife can get rid of hers and walk 20 miles to work. Maybe I should have been selective and chose a different property......oh wait, this is the most expensive place I can afford and no properties that are less than this in a 15 miles radius come with 2 'allocated' spaces. Your 'why don't people just do this....its easy' theory does not work in the real world.

I had the same issue when it came to buying, we couldn't afford to buy in the area we were renting so we moved to a smaller town about 15 miles away (funnily enough). It isn't where we wanted to live, but it ticked the right boxes in almost everything esle.

I agree it won't be feasable for everyone, but I think a lot more people in this country could do it, and a lot more again could park more responsibly, but for reasons of conveneience (lazyness?) choose not to.

Just out of interest, was there any particular reason you couldn't move more than 15 miles away?

Soldato
s72 Highways Act 1835 -
If any person shall wilfully ride upon any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers; or shall wilfully lead or drive any horse, ass, sheep, mule, swine, or cattle or carriage of any description, or any truck or sledge, upon any such footpath or causeway; or shall tether any horse, ass, mule, swine, or cattle, on any highway, so as to suffer or permit the tethered animal to be thereon;. every person so offending in any of the cases aforesaid shall for each and every such offence forfeit and pay any sum not exceeding [level 2 on the standard scale], over and above the damages occasioned thereby.

A car is considered a carriage. I'm sure that I read somewhere that people have successfully defended against prosecution by claiming that the car was not driven onto the pavement, but lifted...

I tethered a swine to a causeway once. Didn't even get fined.

Soldato
It's not practical as there is not enough space to ban pavement parking. I understand it's inconvenient to walk around these cars though. There's a bloke around the corner from me who parks so far up on the curb he must be able to open his car door and step straight into his house.

Back
Top Bottom