Changing from 1st to 2nd

Soldato
Sometimes results in a little thump from the clutch/gearbox area (well, underneath the car at the front!)

I must admit, it does it more when the wife drives and hardly at all when I drive.

So...could this be an actual problem or is it more likely down to driving style? We've not had the car all that long so still getting used to it.

Car is a 57 Vectra 1.8i vvt with a new Borg & Beck clutch (fitted early October just before we bought it). We've done about 650 miles in the car since we've had it, and hence the clutch has done the same.

Soldato
Easy way to test engine mounts is with the engine running, put it in reverse with the handbrake hard on and with someone looking in the engine bay see how far the engine twists as you left up the clutch (part way).

You can do the same in first gear but don't drop the clutch with a dodgy handbrake !!

Soldato
assuming everything is OK with the car then 1st to 2nd can be a tricky gear change to complete smoothly.

Clutch should be going in before accelerator pedal is fully released. Need to blend both inputs so that there is an overlap.

Back
Top Bottom