Letting a laptop acclimatise?

Associate
I just bought a used MacBook on eBay and the seller has contacted me advising me not to turn it on for 24 hours once I've unpacked it as the courier will have stored it in cold temperatures and it would need to acclimatise before being turned on in case any damage is caused by condensation on the change of temperature.

Is there anything in this?

I've had laptops sent to me in the past and never given it a second thought to be honest and never noticed any ill effects.

Is he just being over protective or is it good advice? Obviously I'm keen to get my grubby mits on it the second it arrives!

Associate
According to Apple's Technical Specifications page for the Air:http://www.apple.com/macbook-air/specs.html
Quote:
Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
Storage temperature: -13° to 113° F (-25° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet
Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 feet

couple hours in a warm room with the lid open should suffice

Last edited:
Soldato
He could just be overprotective, though like yourself I have rarely given it much thought.

Is there a minimum amount of time it has to be in the cold before it is an issue? I commute most days with my MBP and it's bloody freezing most days. I don't think twice before turn it on upon reaching the office (the aluminium body is usually cold to the touch).

I have left it in the car overnight before now and turned it on with no ill-effects.

Associate
Sounds a bit over protective tbh, though I can see where he's coming from. Use your judgment. If it feels significantly colder than your walls or furniture cover it up and leave it in it's box near something warm for a couple of hours.

Associate
OP
It hasn't come yet, it's coming on Wednesday.

It's being shipped in its original retail packaging so I can't see it being too much of an issue myself but thought I'd get some more opinions.

I've never not turned any electronics I've had shipped to me on straight away to be honest!

Associate
OP
He could just be overprotective, though like yourself I have rarely given it much thought.

Is there a minimum amount of time it has to be in the cold before it is an issue? I commute most days with my MBP and it's bloody freezing most days. I don't think twice before turn it on upon reaching the office (the aluminium body is usually cold to the touch).

I have left it in the car overnight before now and turned it on with no ill-effects.

Yeah I had a MacBook a few years ago when I did photography and took it out and about with me on shoots and then into warm areas and never had any problems. Think he may just being extra cautious.

The aluminium body always makes it feel cold to be honest!

Soldato
I would let it warm up for 15 mins or so to be honest. I have brought my laptop in from the car when its been cold and its had condensation on the screen when it hit warm air in the house. There is probably nothing in it but I always let any electronic device I have bought/brought in that feels really cold and left it for a while. Its not often I can do anything with it straight away too always need to do something else first.

Not sure nowadays but I remember reading in my Amp Manuals it mention this about leaving the device to climatise when its been really cold but that was years ago.

Back
Top Bottom