Backing up Videos

Associate
I have built a plex server and i am currently converting my DVD library to digital .

i was looking a at back up options as to make sure i don't loose it ?

can anyone recommend a online back up service i could upload them to ?

I have already mirrored the the files to a 2nd hdd but want to have that extra safety net .

Regards

Associate
Is it really worth it? As mrbell says it's going to be pretty expensive to keep a lot of films in the cloud.

If you have them all on DVD still (which you should, else keeping the ripped versions would be illegal*) then you aren't losing anything should a HDD fail. Well, you'd be losing the time it takes to rip them all again.

*don't quote me on that, might not be true.

Don
With mine, I just keep 3x copies on hard drives.

Yes, it's costly, but I don't want to lose them.

The two copies spend 99% of their time offline.

Also, it's a great idea to give yourself read-only access to your media files. Either have a second machine with elevated permissions or another user account on that PC to add media to the server.

Associate
OP
Yes i am Keeping the Originals the cases are getting thrown away and the DVDS are going on a spindle .

Ok i wont bother with the cloud back up then . surely other people have done this ?

It was the time taken to re rip them i was trying to avoid

As for how big the collection is i am still ripping so i dont know .

Associate
OP
With mine, I just keep 3x copies on hard drives.

Yes, it's costly, but I don't want to lose them.

The two copies spend 99% of their time offline.

Also, it's a great idea to give yourself read-only access to your media files. Either have a second machine with elevated permissions or another user account on that PC to add media to the server.

What size Hdd you using ? and how big is your collection ?

Soldato
are we not crossing the legal boundaries here ?

Ripping DVDs you own for self veiwing vs illegal torrenting ?

Are torrents Illegal? (ok ignoring the uploading part)

I know Piracy is illegal.

But if he owns the Original then all he is doing is downloading a backup.

If thats illegal then surely copying his original disk is also illegal

Last edited:

Deleted member 94233

D

Deleted member 94233

Re. Cloud backup, CrashPlan offers unlimited cloud storage for around $60 a year ***HOWEVER*** cloud storage is only practical at the lower end of the data size spectrum IMHO.

I use CrashPlan for off site back up of absolutely irreplaceable data and am currently using around 110GB. Having tested the restore speed though that alone would take almost 4 days to download and initial upload is even longer; It certainly won't max my 100Mb connection like say Steam will, seems to restore at around 2.5Mbps (can't complain for the cost). Once my data gets much bigger I'll probably have to start cycling physical copies off site.

If your library ends up around this size (say <200GB) it could be just about practical to use the cloud but remember upload and restore is days to weeks or more not hours like a local copy. CrashPlan also allows automated local backup too for free to allow quick restore though. The main reason I have CrashPlan is purely for the 'what if my house burns down' type scenario and if that is the case your DVDs are probably the least of your worries as they are replaceable.

It's hard to recommend a solution as we don't know the size of the data you will end up with but a local backup is probably best for your needs and given the data is unlikely to change you could easily keep an offsite copy maintained without too much bother if that was a concern.

Any rough idea of the data size were talking about from what you've done so far? Do you wan't off site backup, redundancy to allow high uptime etc?

Soldato
get a 3rd drive and backup the videos to another HDD.

should be enough backups with the mirror and another HDD then if anything does happen you have a few copies of the data

Soldato
Re. Cloud backup, CrashPlan offers unlimited cloud storage for around $60 a year ***HOWEVER*** cloud storage is only practical at the lower end of the data size spectrum IMHO.

I use CrashPlan for off site back up of absolutely irreplaceable data and am currently using around 110GB. Having tested the restore speed though that alone would take almost 4 days to download and initial upload is even longer; It certainly won't max my 100Mb connection like say Steam will, seems to restore at around 2.5Mbps (can't complain for the cost). Once my data gets much bigger I'll probably have to start cycling physical copies off site.

If your library ends up around this size (say <200GB) it could be just about practical to use the cloud but remember upload and restore is days to weeks or more not hours like a local copy. CrashPlan also allows automated local backup too for free to allow quick restore though. The main reason I have CrashPlan is purely for the 'what if my house burns down' type scenario and if that is the case your DVDs are probably the least of your worries as they are replaceable.

It's hard to recommend a solution as we don't know the size of the data you will end up with but a local backup is probably best for your needs and given the data is unlikely to change you could easily keep an offsite copy maintained without too much bother if that was a concern.

Any rough idea of the data size were talking about from what you've done so far? Do you wan't off site backup, redundancy to allow high uptime etc?

I use Crashplan and have around 400Gb of stuff on it, mostly photographs and videos from holidays on it. My video collection of ripped dvds etc is all on local drives as it's not that massively important to me. I'd also recommend just getting a couple of USB DVD drives and shoving it on them. If the house burning down is a worry then simply leave one at a family members house and occasionally swap them.

Back
Top Bottom