Any BT Openreach Engineers in the house?

Associate
Their 2015 recruitment campaign is taking expressions of interest and I was wondering if anyone had any experience of getting a job with them?

Associate
It seems a damn good job. I have missed the local recruitment drive twice. Really gutted. The lads i know who have got on are chuffed to bits. They are laying fibre and with the hours/shifts they work they only work half the year.

The pays good and so are all the other benefits.

I'm hoping there will be another drive for my area. Go for it if i where you.

Soldato
It is a great company to work for... however I believe the newer intakes (last year or so) are on completely different job terms and conditions than those before them so it may not be the job for life that most in BT have.

I wouldn't change a thing about joining BT as an apprentice in 2009 thought, saying that I am, and always have been office based.

Soldato
I've applied, need a complete change of career and thought this was a very well payed "entry level" job. It looks interesting to me, be nice to get out and about, and not be stuck in a room by myself staring at the computer screen all day.

Soldato
Most of the Openreach guys who come into our place arrive in pairs, but only one does any work. I wouldn't think twice about this if they're paired up for the day and some of their jobs really on require one person. What I don't understand is when two guys arrive in two separate vans... and one doesn't do anything!

Soldato
Most of the Openreach guys who come into our place arrive in pairs, but only one does any work. I wouldn't think twice about this if they're paired up for the day and some of their jobs really on require one person. What I don't understand is when two guys arrive in two separate vans... and one doesn't do anything!

From experience it's because they pair of to do the work unofficially, their bosses if they twigged would be furious. Had a few do this too, usually just before/after lunch time as they're going for lunch together and want to make sure the job is quick.

Soldato
Ex-Openreach here, worked there 2010-2012 but left to go travelling.

Everything in my post is based on working for them then, however I believe new recruits now have a very different contract and it isn't as easy.

There is a few different sides to Openreach, ideally you want to be installing and fixing faults on residential/business lines, rather than pulling in cable, working away from home in the cold :p

Everything is stat based, and in the eyes of the engineers it doesn't work, but as long as you know how to "play the game" it can be a great job, which can earn you decent money (Nothing spectacular unless you move up through the management chain) and when I was there the hours were great.

In the winter I worked Monday-Friday (With the odd Saturday, with a day off during the week) 8am-3:40pm, and in the summer, 4 days a week, 8am-5:40pm.

You'll have to pass a "logical reasoning" test before the interview stage, and the interview is pretty standard and should end with a colour blind test.

If you get the job normally you'll go away all expenses paid for a week or two to a training centre to learn the basics, but best advice would be to befriend older and more experience engineers as there is so many tricks and little things to make your life a lot easier :)

Any questions send me a trust message :)

Associate
OP
Just a quick reply to say thanks for the helpful (and not-so helpful, but amusing) replies.

I've been working on my CV for the last week or so and after getting some feedback from the National Careers Service (NCS), I think I'm ready to submit it via the BT recruitment portal.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Dunno.

As I understand it, there's a lot of job-shadowing during the start of someone's employment.

Slightly different question here relating to CVs - the guy/gal at the NCS suggested I refer to my Engineering Degree and science A-Levels a little bit more, perhaps in my profile (the very first paragraph). At the moment they're in the very last section on qualifications and somewhat hidden. He/She thinks it might make it stand out a little bit more. Also, as this will be a career change, add a section on career goals/aims.

Does that sound sensible?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom