Am I being unreasonable to my employer?

Soldato
OP
He gives the OP a job though and also a wage that the OP uses to live off.

Doesn't sound like all take to me.

Don't forget its not a god given right to have employment

Totally agree Matty, and appreciate it isn't God given right. I was open and honest, I am sure in my position many people could just phone in sick. I made the effort to go in early and speaks to him face to face.

I could work from home but the way he has been I am just letting them get on with it.

I know this won't be the last time this is going to happen, also I am sick of knowing the bitching taking place every time you have time off for holiday. I think this is the push I needed to take the jump. I have been with the company 5 years, thinking things may get better but this is the final piece that proves it wont!

Caporegime
You clearly have no kids. The OP is saying there is no one else to look after his kids, what should he do leave them at home or take them into work?!

There are 2 things:
1) hire a babysitter or nanny to look after the child for the week
2) claim sick leave from work. At least in the US you can use your sick leave to help family who is sick.

Only downside to 2) is once you have used up your sick allowance with children if you then need sick leave you are pretty hosed. Easiest to lay for 1) IMO.

My baby has an ear infection and fever so can't go to child care, I had to take a sick day to look after yesterday but today we have a nanny over.

Soldato
Whilst I understand childcare issues.

I wouldn't class it as a good enough reason not to go to work.

Holidays. An employer CAN dictate when you take holidays. As they are not holidays they are paid annual leave.

General rule of thumb regarding notice is twice the time you want off

So if you want a week you should give at least two. This can and does still get rejected if the business needs dictate it.

I take it you're an employer?
OP, jump ship ASAP, life's too short to work for a company like that if you have a chance to leave.

Soldato
To me, headhunting is someone actually researching the work you have done and that you are an expert in your field and everyone in that area knows of you.

Someone flying out from Europe to wine and dine him either a rich grindr user or a headhunter.

Soldato
Whilst I understand childcare issues.

I wouldn't class it as a good enough reason not to go to work.

Holidays. An employer CAN dictate when you take holidays. As they are not holidays they are paid annual leave.

General rule of thumb regarding notice is twice the time you want off

So if you want a week you should give at least two. This can and does still get rejected if the business needs dictate it.

Are you a manager without kids by any chance?

Soldato
OP
Thats very last minute to if they truly are left in the **** if you disappear without much notice then its fair enough. Most people know if their job is business critical or the work will just need to be done at a later date.

P.s. What do you mean by headhunted. Having a profile on job sites or linkedIn and having people contact you about positions isn't being headhunted btw. I have heard a lot of people who say "I've been headhunted when some "recruitment consultant" has found their linkedIn profile and contacted them because they have the skills for a position.

To me, headhunting is someone actually researching the work you have done and that you are an expert in your field and everyone in that area knows of you.

Hi Fez,

I have ipad and iPhone so could have easily worked from home no problem, in this case he is making it clear his true thoughts so what's the point! I am still emailing some customers but only when I get chance to, he is clearly trying to put his points over the way he is reacting and lack of phone calls.

If you read up a couple of posts you will see how I have been head hunted, I think this may meet your head hunting criteria :)

Soldato
You're legally entitled to emergency time off for dependants.

Considering your mother in law is your main carer, this would be considered an emergency under:

"Disruption of care arrangements
You could get time off if:

a child minder or carer doesn’t turn up to look after a dependant"

Taken from: https://www.gov.uk/time-off-for-dependants/whats-an-emergency

If your MD doesn't like it, then tough!

Going in in the morning and then asking for a couple of days to sort something out isn't unreasonable.

Also, why are you working when you are on annual leave? He's told you to take the week off, and all you're doing is giving free work to a company that clearly doesn't value you.

Last edited:
Soldato
You clearly have no kids. The OP is saying there is no one else to look after his kids, what should he do leave them at home or take them into work?!

Clearly.

Actually I do have kids. I also run a nationwide business with staff all over the country. Which would be a ball ache to cover at short notice. Bearing in mind the time critical nature of what we do.

I have also in the past had childcare issues but I have also signed a contract of employment.

Whilst i empathise with the OP he's is the breadwinner and his mrs is at Uni. She wouldn't fail her masters because she missed a day whereas the OP may now have sullied his position with his employer.

Soldato
OP

fez

fez

Caporegime
Someone flying out from Europe to wine and dine him either a rich grindr user or a headhunter.

Does he have a pretty mouth?

If you read up a couple of posts you will see how I have been head hunted, I think this may meet your head hunting criteria :)

I saw that and yes, you fulfil my stringent headhunting criteria! Kudos.

From what you have said since your first post, he is just an end piece and you should take the other job. My other question is why didn't you when first offered. I assume it is on more money and the benefits sound great. The company also seems committed.

I have realised that most companies have very little loyalty to employees when it really counts so I wouldn't think twice about moving to further your career.

Soldato
Totally agree Matty, and appreciate it isn't God given right. I was open and honest, I am sure in my position many people could just phone in sick. I made the effort to go in early and speaks to him face to face.

I could work from home but the way he has been I am just letting them get on with it.

I know this won't be the last time this is going to happen, also I am sick of knowing the bitching taking place every time you have time off for holiday. I think this is the push I needed to take the jump. I have been with the company 5 years, thinking things may get better but this is the final piece that proves it wont!

Without knowing the nature of what you do. And my position is from what we do.
If your able to work from home and still contribute the your MD is clearly an ass.

Soldato
My place is nothing like the OP's (thank God). As long as you don't take the mick, my boss is pretty laid back and knows the hardest time of year is just before the new holiday year kicks in and loads of people have lots of days left to take. So he welcomes people taking their days (especially me as I am notorious for having lots left at the end of the year).

The day after Boxing Day (27th) a pal of mine invited me to his uncle's house on the Sunday Night before I was to return to work (29th). His uncle is famous and so has a big house with fine wine and I really wanted to go.

So I e-mailed my boss, told him the truth and he replied later that day saying it was fine to have the Monday off.

As long as I don;t book all my holidays via e-mail and with only a couple of days' notice our boss is lenient and fair.

Soldato
OP
Clearly.

Actually I do have kids. I also run a nationwide business with staff all over the country. Which would be a ball ache to cover at short notice. Bearing in mind the time critical nature of what we do.

I have also in the past had childcare issues but I have also signed a contract of employment.

Whilst i empathise with the OP he's is the breadwinner and his mrs is at Uni. She wouldn't fail her masters because she missed a day whereas the OP may now have sullied his position with his employer.

To be honest my wife also works and not badly paid (mid £20k's for 30 hours per week) she is doing this in her own time, however the course she is just starting is beneficial to her employer (NHS) however due to the nature of course she needs to attend every single class this week or she can not continue further.

As stated I can do work from home and pick up emails, he decides to be a noob and therefore I'm not!

Soldato
I have realised that most companies have very little loyalty to employees when it really counts so I wouldn't think twice about moving to further your career.

Works both ways though.

Most employees don't have any loyalty either.

Could you imagine the uproar if the MD rang everyone and said shop shut today boys I'm looking after the kids whilst the wife goes to Uni.

Soldato
2nd, why can't you pay for childcare for the days you need?

If you don't have an existing relationship with a childminder/carer, then it's not necessarily that easy to find someone at very short notice, since if you actually cared about your kids you'd want to meet the person first, check references etc, rather than just dump them with a stranger for the day and hope for the best ;)

Soldato
OP
Does he have a pretty mouth?

I saw that and yes, you fulfil my stringent headhunting criteria! Kudos.

From what you have said since your first post, he is just an end piece and you should take the other job. My other question is why didn't you when first offered. I assume it is on more money and the benefits sound great. The company also seems committed.

My loyalty to the company is what stopped me from taking the initial offer! Glad to see my loyaly is appreciated! I also got offered a job double the wage and benefits as currently but that would almost go into your criteria A of head hunting as it was via linked in, forgot about this! However again loyalty stopped me from perusing any further information.

Soldato
MD sounds like a right penis.

I can't believe you even come in early or stay late, I never work a second over, think you're mad to give the company any of your precious free time.

Unless you're super bloody slow and never get any work done, always leaving masses of work at the end of the day, I see no problem with having a day and a half off at short notice. Soon as you can stick your fingers up at him and jump ship.

The best policy in work is "As long as it gets done"

Back
Top Bottom