The younger generation.

Don
This happened to my 27 year old daughter last week who has got a Masters.
I then took her around the house showing her different light bulbs & fittings.

Whose fault is it that she didn't learn earlier :p I'm only 29 and my old man taught my sister and I things like wiring a plug decades ago

Associate
I'm just going to leave this here.

lovelyandskint.jpeg

Suspended
I mean the one that was so unaffordable that they closed it to the younger generation, the one the government is still borrowing more to fund, but the one that you believe is going to people who are willing to "do without" compared to the younger people.

Well that doesn't tell me much and I suspect you don't know either. If you listen to this government (which is what I suspect you do) or read the Daily Mail then all public sector pensions are unaffordable (except theirs of course).

I'm not aware they have closed any PS pensions to the younger generation. They have altered the way they are calculated but then the Tories hate the PS and it is their mission in life to get rid of PS workers wherever possible.

However, I'm sure you will agree the figures I provided you with are a far cry from the gold plated pensions you have been led to believe everyone gets.

Suspended
Not all of us, thank you! However, I do see plenty of that. Case in point, a friend of mine went to change a lightbulb, but it didn't fit and she only then learnt there is more than one type of lightbulb fitting. If you met her, you'd think she was an idiot, but she got 80% for her Criminology degree, go figure.

Probably multiple choice questions and a calculator. Can you imagine if today's kids were given problems without multiple choice and had to show their math working out in the margin. :eek: I think we would see pass rates fall dramatically.

Soldato
Most young people I know seem well adjusted to be honest. They seem to be more aware of the world and their impact on - certainly more so than my generation. When I am out and about I tend to find those who display a distinct lack of manners are the older generations.

This. Some elderly people are incredibly rude, the majority are friendly people. Some of them even lack basic manners! I have challenged some of them before about their rudeness, they generally shut up after that.

Some entitled elderly person on the bus once complained that the bus was two minutes late, giving the driver a torrent of abuse. Needless to say someone confronted her and she ****** off. She missed her connection apparently, which meant she was obviously allowed to give this poor driver hell! It was TWO MINUTES late for Christs sake! She would have had to wait a whole five minutes for another bus. :rolleyes: It made my blood BOIL.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
This. Some elderly people are incredibly rude, the majority are friendly people. Some of them even lack basic manners! I have challenged some of them before about their rudeness, they generally shut up after that.

Some entitled elderly person on the bus once complained that the bus was two minutes late, giving the driver a torrent of abuse. Needless to say someone confronted her and she ****** off. She missed her connection apparently, which meant she was obviously allowed to give this poor driver hell! It was TWO MINUTES late for Christs sake! She would have had to wait a whole five minutes for another bus. :rolleyes: It made my blood BOIL.

Whereas I suppose if you missed a connection which perhaps then meant you missed a flight or something similar you would be all sweetness and light? You don't really know the full details and yet it made your blood boil.

People of all ages can be rude or lack manners. I'm not sure it is fair to attribute such behaviour to a gender or age group.

Soldato
Whereas I suppose if you missed a connection which perhaps then meant you missed a flight or something similar you would be all sweetness and light? You don't really know the full details and yet it made your blood boil.

People of all ages can be rude or lack manners. I'm not sure it is fair to attribute such behaviour to a gender or age group.

Oh so it is fine to attribute it to the young but not the old. That's good to know you've changed your position in the thread.

And if I missed a connection because a bus was two minutes late I would be all sweetness and light because I am sensible enough to realise such things may occur and therefore allow myself a sufficient amount of time.

alx

alx

Soldato
Perhaps "all theory, no practice" would be a kinder way of putting it.

Should the government be looking into setting up a Re-Introduction To The Real World course for graduates?

But you don't learn stuff like basic DIY at university, that's not the point of it. That sort of thing should really be taught by your parents, or maybe at a push at school.

It seems like the learning that used to go on at home is (slowly) disappearing which is a shame.

Associate
Well that doesn't tell me much and I suspect you don't know either. If you listen to this government (which is what I suspect you do) or read the Daily Mail then all public sector pensions are unaffordable (except theirs of course).

I'm not aware they have closed any PS pensions to the younger generation. They have altered the way they are calculated but then the Tories hate the PS and it is their mission in life to get rid of PS workers wherever possible.

However, I'm sure you will agree the figures I provided you with are a far cry from the gold plated pensions you have been led to believe everyone gets.

How about you actually source some of the numbers or facts you are throwing around?

Given that you don't trust the government or the Daily Mail. Would you prefer the Guardian and the unions? They disagree with the numbers you gave, and give an example of the kind of pensions that are no longer available to the younger generation.

Suspended
How about you actually source some of the numbers or facts you are throwing around?

Given that you don't trust the government or the Daily Mail. Would you prefer the Guardian and the unions? They disagree with the numbers you gave, and give an example of the kind of pensions that are no longer available to the younger generation.

Try this ONE not newspapers and the like - they go for sensationalism. See how it worked on you. When you look at the figures the Median ones are the most accurate - it does tell you this. You will note I was pretty near the mark.

I hope when you have read the figures you will re-evaluate your position and campaign for greater PS pensions.

Associate
I find that article confirms basically everything I have said.

Older generations have more generous pensions which are then denied to the younger generations. This is one of the first points that the article makes.

As a wider point: to me, everything points to the older generations in this country climbing up a rope ladder and then pulling the ladder up behind them. Selling off national assets, closing pension schemes to younger people, building up large public debts, nimbyism preventing new infrastructure projects and social housing.

All the while telling the younger generation that they're suffering from "envy", they're ****less, they're living off benefits, they're not going out and getting theirs like the older generations did, that they don't take responsibility for themselves, and that they're only interested in iPhones and selfies.

Edit: why did that get starred out?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have to agree but I feel like it's not just the youth, people in general are more insular, self obsessed and motivated by greed. There's minimal social interaction, no one seems to care about anything passionately and no real sense of community in many places.

We've basically become a crap version of America.

Soldato
OP
I find that article confirms basically everything I have said.

Older generations have more generous pensions which are then denied to the younger generations. This is one of the first points that the article makes.

As a wider point: to me, everything points to the older generations in this country climbing up a rope ladder and then pulling the ladder up behind them. Selling off national assets, closing pension schemes to younger people, building up large public debts, nimbyism preventing new infrastructure projects and social housing.

All the while telling the younger generation that they're suffering from "envy", they're ****less, they're living off benefits, they're not going out and getting theirs like the older generations did, that they don't take responsibility for themselves, and that they're only interested in iPhones and selfies.

Edit: why did that get starred out?

Have you been reading what Billie posted through beer goggles then? I have read the figures he provided for the average PS pension (he's talking about your ordinary worker down the job centre etc. not Whitehall bigwigs) the figure is very close to the Median figure in the article.

Trouble is you appear to be one of those people where if you haven't got something you want everyone to be without rather than you putting the effort in to get the same.

The previous generations spent hundreds of years getting improved rights and working conditions but your generation just appears to whine and claim entitlement. Your posts reek of it - what a depressing outlook you have.

Soldato

This ^ is entirely right.

The baby boomer generation benefited from the biggest upsurge in social mobility the country has ever seen. Priavte quality education delivered through the state (Grammar schools), Jobs for life, final salary pensions, Low house prices coupled with massive house price inflation and interest rate collapse, a surging domestic demand fueling economic growth coupled with the country leaving behind its crutches as the economic sick man of europe.....

This generation were able to provide a lifestyle to their children off the back of relatively little effort and talent, that the younger generation cannot hope to match (but were brought up to expect). The boomers (and early Generation X-ers) continue to out-compete their children in the housing markets, buying up buy-to-let and 2nd homes, whilst holding on to the majority of the higher paid employment positions (a large demographic group), and wielding the greatest voting power in the country's ballot to ensure their position is protected.

Worth also remembering the respective state pension burdens these two generations are facing/faced. The boomers had a tiny retirement demographic to support, whereas their retirement, in all of its magnitude and longevity, with be a massive cross to bear for the coming workforce.

On top of all this, they have the downright arrogance to criticise the "youth of today" for failing to make the same strides as they did, without acknowledging the disadvantages of the legacy they themselves have passed down.

Caporegime
This ^ is entirely right.

The baby boomer generation benefited from the biggest upsurge in social mobility the country has ever seen. Priavte quality education delivered through the state (Grammar schools), Jobs for life, final salary pensions, Low house prices coupled with massive house price inflation and interest rate collapse, a surging domestic demand fueling economic growth coupled with the country leaving behind its crutches as the economic sick man of europe.....

This generation were able to provide a lifestyle to their children off the back of relatively little effort and talent, that the younger generation cannot hope to match (but were brought up to expect). The boomers (and early Generation X-ers) continue to out-compete their children in the housing markets, buying up buy-to-let and 2nd homes, whilst holding on to the majority of the higher paid employment positions (a large demographic group), and wielding the greatest voting power in the country's ballot to ensure their position is protected.

Worth also remembering the respective state pension burdens these two generations are facing/faced. The boomers had a tiny retirement demographic to support, whereas their retirement, in all of its magnitude and longevity, with be a massive cross to bear for the coming workforce.

On top of all this, they have the downright arrogance to criticise the "youth of today" for failing to make the same strides as they did, without acknowledging the disadvantages of the legacy they themselves have passed down.

Pretty much what I've been trying to say all along but better put. Good post.

Back
Top Bottom