• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 980 - Underwhelmed, is it just me?

Permabanned
Single EVGA SC 980 @stock
5960X 4.0

Crysis 3 maxed @4K

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
1287, 91422, 11, 20, 14.078

A bit short of 60fps here lol.

It is. :D The big guns are much needed for those who want as much performance they can get with one or two. Not many want to buy 4. ;)

Man of Honour
Kaap, out of all your various gpu setups, iirc its 290's, titans and 980's. Which would you decide to keep if it was only one choice of setup, (ie wife/gf says enough is enough):D.

It is difficult as I use them for different things.

If I was limited to gaming I would keep the Titans even though these days they are the slowest of the lot.

4 up they are smoother than the 980s or 290Xs, the best way to describe it is like running Mantle on NVidia cards. I think people sometimes get too wrapped up in specs and sometimes miss things. What I mean by that is I am pretty sure NVidia made tweaks and improvements on the Titans that don't show up in a spec list. Another example of this is with the GTX 690 which has hardware frame pacing even though you don't get to read about it in the specs list.

I think the next gen Maxwell Titan will be a very good card to have even if it comes off second best against the 390X, I think the Maxwell Titan will be very much in the same mould as the original with a very long life as a top level card.

Caporegime
Is the vram on the titans a big placeholder for you, as the 6gb is bound to help at 4k. Gotta say, the titan is looking like good value for money as they have been out for quite a while now yet still cope well with modern games. All the same, it's a nice choice you have whatever the scenario. Myself, I'm impressed with the low power use of the 900 series. But performance isn't enough to justify a switch from what I have.

Man of Honour
It is. :D The big guns are much needed for those who want as much performance they can get with one or two. Not many want to buy 4. ;)

Here is the whole gang @4K

4 x EVGA SC 980 @stock
5960X 4.0

Crysis 3 maxed @4K

3836, 88281, 23, 62, 43.452

It is quite playable at these fps and looks really nice, I could get a bit more if I started overclocking.

What is interesting is the performance in this game often changes by 4 or 5 fps depending on what drivers are used. 247.09 were used for this.

Man of Honour
Is the vram on the titans a big placeholder for you, as the 6gb is bound to help at 4k. Gotta say, the titan is looking like good value for money as they have been out for quite a while now yet still cope well with modern games. All the same, it's a nice choice you have whatever the scenario. Myself, I'm impressed with the low power use of the 900 series. But performance isn't enough to justify a switch from what I have.

6gb is nice yes.

I once ran BF4 maxed at some huge resolution (with res scaling) using something like the equivalent 21 million pixels and the Titans were still averaging 69 fps with minimums in the high 40s and it was still very smooth.

Caporegime
Tried bf4 on the 780's under DSR, wasn't great on max settings by any means. Looked nice even on my small monitor. But vram use was sky high, lowering settings a fair bit and no aa left it playable. Funnily enough now at native res I run it on the lowest settings and capped to 60 fps, just to keep temps down. Want to go 1440 gsync and looking forward to new NV cards.

Permabanned
Here is the whole gang @4K

4 x EVGA SC 980 @stock
5960X 4.0

Crysis 3 maxed @4K

3836, 88281, 23, 62, 43.452

It is quite playable at these fps and looks really nice, I could get a bit more if I started overclocking.

What is interesting is the performance in this game often changes by 4 or 5 fps depending on what drivers are used. 247.09 were used for this.

Wow. If big Maxwell or the 390x where twice the performance in this game at 4k they still would not do a constant min fps of 60 even with 4 cards.

4K must look good but I am waiting for 4K oled (at a reasonable price). :)

Man of Honour
Wow. If big Maxwell or the 390x where twice the performance in this game at 4k they still would not do a constant min fps of 60 even with 4 cards.

4K must look good but I am waiting for 4K oled (at a reasonable price). :)

Crysis 3 is very demanding @4K but even at those fps it is quite nice play as you don't get big swings from low to high and back.

I think the Maxwell Titan will be good on this as it will bring up the minimums quite nicely.

Permabanned
Crysis 3 is very demanding @4K but even at those fps it is quite nice play as you don't get big swings from low to high and back.

I think the Maxwell Titan will be good on this as it will bring up the minimums quite nicely.

I still think it's shocking that you would probably need 4 Maxwell Titans or £4000 to run a game that has been out quite a while at max settings and still not get 60fps constant. By the time 4 cards can do that Crysis 4 will bring them to their knees. :D

Back
Top Bottom