Advice on Ice/Snow Driving

Soldato
Keep the car parked at the bottom of the hill?

Winters tyres would help, but they don't do miracles.

Try getting to a car park or somewhere safe, and learn how to drive on snow and ice now. You don't want to leave it until it's too late. Although I can't believe in 7 years, in Scotland, you have never experienced this before?

Soldato
Aahh 2010, I remember.. I remember.

I started driving in September 2010 and 2 months later had to tackle snow and ice but I was okay, the immediate roads around me are flat and I took alternate routes to avoid steep roads. I did get a bit buried after leaving the car but I remembered the rocking technique I saw on Top Gear.

Soldato
It's technique, experience and dependent on the car and tyres. If you are trying to get up hill on spinning wheels with no momentum then you'll never get up - it won't happen.

I'm on AWD on winter tyres this year and I think this thing would get up the north face. The difference is immeasurable.

Soldato
As above it's all about momentum and knowing when you're just not going to progress anymore when keeping doing the same thing.

Last night I had to drive round several cars on the road into our estate as it sits on a hill. One even in the exact same car, sitting hammering the accelerator wheels spinning away.

I don't tend to give it any kind of welly unless it's a complete last resort as I find it rarely gets you any actual traction, best bet is to try and crawl away, if you find the wheels are just completely spinning then rock it back and forward to free them off. Generally speaking once I'm moving I won't get stuck.

Going down hill just don't use the brakes unless you absolutely have to, if it's compacted ice then the car will move around a bit but you'll be going slowly so just keep calm. I've honestly never found a need to turn off esp or the likes, though it'll do little for you when it's so slippy

Winter tyres as mentioned would probably get you going, but my experience of them is that they can't do too much on compacted, icy tracks (still better though).

When it's like this I only really drive the 107 if possible, as it's tiny, light and has tiny tyres - all of which help it get about. In saying that the fn2 was OK but still a big difference between the two

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ultimately it is down to physics too - even if you have the right gear and skill, if you cannot overcome the low friction of ice/snow then you're not going to get anywhere.

Have you tried the trick of letting air out of your tyres? Driving over fresh rather than compacted snow?

Winter tyres can help, snow tyres on the other hand do make a massive difference - but are they worth it? I think even living in Scotland probably not. Perhaps snow chain may help - but how deep are we talking about?

Soldato
Get some snow chains they help a lot

Aren't they a bit overkill in suburban England though? Great if you live somewhere where all of the roads are always covered in some snow and ice, but in the UK, most main routes are clear even in heavy snow. You'd be constantly stopping to remove/fit the chains every time you came across clear road.

Soldato
If you have an old car, careful use of the handbrake will allow you to apply some braking effort while leaving the front wheels free to steer.

ABS is supposed to do this for you but IME ABS systems dont seem to cope very well with snow/ice conditions.

Of course, if you have an EPB you dont have this option.

Soldato
The problem with snow socks is that it is always the few hundred yards of un gritted roads that cause you grief. That means you will be constantly fitting and removing them and once they hit the road they will be soaking wet and filthy.

I use winter tyres on my wifes punto and would have them on my car if I had the choice.

Soldato
snow socks

So: snow socks - verdict? Anyone even used them?

Yes - and they are fantastic
I work in the middle of the North York Moors, and half my journey is along untreated roads.
When everything was stalled in 2010, I was able to drive through snow and ice (even up a 1 in 3) in a Clio with summer tyres, when even the farmers were getting stuck in their 4x4s (was fun driving round a whole queue of vehicles trying to get uphill, and the only other moving was a Jimny!)

You do have to take them off if you encounter a long stretch of clear tarmac, but for the odd 100-300 yards you are fine.
I found keeping speeds below 50 and not taking the pee meant they are still sat in the boot of the car ready for the next bad winter

Police in our area also started using them that year, so I think that gives a reasonably positive spin on the matter :)

Associate
Aren't they a bit overkill in suburban England though? Great if you live somewhere where all of the roads are always covered in some snow and ice, but in the UK, most main routes are clear even in heavy snow. You'd be constantly stopping to remove/fit the chains every time you came across clear road.
You can drive with them even if road is clear

Man of Honour
Sometimes the terrain is just impassable.

I have years of experience driving in snow and ice, but in Wales over Christmas I came to a steep incline on an ungritted single track mountain road. The wind had frozen the snow on the road into a mirror like finish and even with momentum there was no way I was getting past. I decided on one attempt, after running out of momentum I came to a stop and the car just slid backwards down the road, which was interesting to say the least.

Winter or snow tyres would have certainly helped but without chains for that 200m stretch I don't think anyone would have got through. A guy in a Jeep Cherokee couldn't get through either.

Man of Honour
The brakes won't do anything if the car just slides on the ice. When we had the last bad winter I nearly ended up down a slope and into a building when doing only a 3 point turn...fortunately the curb stopped me. It is surprising sometimes how much momentum you can pick up.

Having lived in Michigan for a while I am used to driving in the snow and ice, but of course there we had winter tyres and roads that were properly cleared. Even then you generally see one car every mile or so that has gone off the interstate and has been abandoned...usually 4x4s that think they are invincible. The slush and 'wet' snow were always the worst, hit that and you have pretty much zero grip with any setup.

Back
Top Bottom