A decent ratchet screwdriver

Associate
Hey guys

I'm trying to decide on what ratchet screwdriver to get I want something to last I've had quite a few most of them rubbish and break with about a month.

I've researched and here are a few but can't decide on what's best,

• Bahco 808050 Ratchet Screwdriver and 6 Bits
  • Bahco 808050L Ratchet Screwdriver and Bits with LED Lights
  • Wera 05073660001 Kraftform Kompakt Bit Set KK27 RA 1 SB

£35 pounds is my absolute max for a ratchet screwdriver, unless there's one better for +/-£5.

I also want the screwdriver to be able to hold screws magnetically as some I've had cannot do this.

Tea Drinker
Don
I love my snap on one however are a bit more expensive.

Although mine was part of a set of 9 screwdrivers and a free ratchet screwdriver for circa £120 which may be worth considering.

Soldato
I think it's a case of you get what you pay for - I have been buying Wera screwdrivers over the last few months and they are certainly worth the money - so the Wera one on your list is my choice.

I have had a Megapro one now for 25 yrs and it's still going well - If you can find a UK stockist then these are also worth a punt. It is not ratchet though but if you hold yellow bits it will turn in your hand while yellow bits stay still.

http://www.amazon.com/Megapro-151NAS-15-In-1-Original-Driver/dp/B004VJY0ZM

Dave

Associate
The ratchet snap on drivers are usually on offer, and still the best you can buy. Well worth the investment.

Fish

Tea Drinker
Don
It's all about the same. Most snap on stuff is sold on credit accounts that make cash 4 gold look angelic.

I think the only thing you'd miss out on is a deal or offering the bloke cash no receipt which makes it cheaper.

Associate
I have the Bahco 808050L Ratchet Screwdriver and Bits with LED Lights.
It’s very good & I am very happy with it but the bits can be a little fiddly to get out of the holder in the handle but the light makes up for this inconvenience.
Another very good ratchet screw driver is the Facom FCMACL1A ACL.1APB Ratcheting Bit Holder Screwdriver.
This is used a lot & comes with a set of 8 bits.
If you Google it, you can get them for £25 including p&p
I also have a selection if Wera drivers which are very good (have a ratchet screwdriver by them also but don't have the version with the bits in the handle) Wera WER051461

Soldato
The "fuss" about Snap-On comes down to 2 things:

1. They're the Apple of hand tools: beautifully made from the finest materials, but eye-wateringly expensive.

2. If you break their stuff during normal use, they replace it FoC.

Honestly, if you don't rely on your tools for your livelihood, anything from Snap-On's Blue Point "hobbyist" range is probably going to last you a lifetime.

Tea Drinker
Don
The "fuss" about Snap-On comes down to 2 things:

1. They're the Apple of hand tools: beautifully made from the finest materials, but eye-wateringly expensive.

2. If you break their stuff during normal use, they replace it FoC.

Honestly, if you don't rely on your tools for your livelihood, anything from Snap-On's Blue Point "hobbyist" range is probably going to last you a lifetime.

You forget the convenience and credit account the Snap On Vans allow new mechanics and apprentices in the industry. Plus most are hand tools, just as the knife thread in La Cuisine if you're using a set of spanners all day, picking them up and having a play is worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom