• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
It's either Direct Courier Solutions or Royal Mail tracked and traced.

Avoid parcelfarce and Hermes, definitely.

To quickly chime in on using one 970 at 1440p, I really haven't been disappointed. Everything I've tried runs great. I've had to pull back the anti-aliasing and shadows slightly in GTAIV, but I am using an ENB and quite a few texture mods. Coupled with it being a pretty naff port anyway, that's understandable I guess.

It's a great card. Can't speak for the AMD alternative. Haven't had one of their cards since 2009, but the 970 is great value for money in my opinion, and many others. I think if there are only 200 units returned to Overclockers out of how many sold? Surely thousands. It can't be that bad of a card, or big of a deal. ;)

I'll be sticking with mine for as long as I can. I hope to get at least a couple of years out of it, and then I'll likely grab whatever the best priced equivalent at the time is.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Can you tell me what what your running temps are on the gtx970?

Amd really need to get a decent reference cooler fitted on there next top end release as the amount of people that think the 290/x runs hot and loud is daft. The 290/x with a good cooler does not run hot and loud. I repeat with a decent cooler there is not a problem with the core running hot and the cooler being loud.

'

There is nothing hot and noisy about my 4GB Msi Gaming R9 290, has great temps and I cant hear it, wait, nope cant hear it. Quite sick of hearing this quoted by clueless.......enough, have a coffee......ok calm now. :D

No idea on temps was just going by whats been said on here, my Asus strix 970 the fan does not even rotate thanks to the zero db feature, only in games is spins up a little.

What about the power usage of 290s thought they were much higher then 970s? peace and silence is a firm factor for me especially since I run all my fans in a fanless mode so heat build up is important to me.

Soldato
Would it be an idea to change the product listings for 970 cards now so that it is clear they have a different memory architecture to 980s?

That way people purchasing them now can make a more informed choice?

P.S. Very impressed with the way OcUK are handling this. There have been times in the past when OcUK has got a bum rap over customer service. However I think this clearly demonstrates the reality.

Soldato
No idea on temps was just going by whats been said on here, my Asus strix 970 the fan does not even rotate thanks to the zero db feature, only in games is spins up a little.

What about the power usage of 290s thought they were much higher then 970s? peace and silence is a firm factor for me especially since I run all my fans in a fanless mode so heat build up is important to me.

Power usage on the 290's is a good bit higher on average so more heat will be dumped into the case. At load my card never goes past 65oc. I don't know how loud the card actually is as my cpu fan is louder yet not overly loud. I reckon my PC would be pretty quiet if i changed out the fan on my cpu cooler.

I am not saying people should change over to a 290/x as we all have different needs and some may be better of sticking to Nvidia. It's just to many people seem to think the 290's run hot and loud which is not the case apart from the reference cooler and maybe the odd cooler that's not seated properly. Amd really shot themselves in the foot with the reference cooler which has tarred the cards with a bad rep.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most are already on weekly offer, so tomorrow those on offer will go up.

the g1/windforce looks good but have really been put off by gigabyte and how they h ave dealt with things lately. It doesn't exactly make you feel confident knowing that they might possibly be difficult for any other potential problems in the future.

Associate
I'm expecting my 1440 Benq to turn some time tomorrow to go with my existing 970. Be interesting to see how it does.

I have SLI 970's and love them, but you will need 2 if you intend to go full pelt on all current games @ 1440p. The same would be said for a single 980.

The 970 is a great card, but not a miracle worker.

I went from SLI 770's to a single 970 @ 1440p, and lets just say I wouldn't play any games until I had another 970. Now I am in love with them :)

tMghheu.jpg

EDIT>> No I am not returning my cards.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've got a couple of 970s, and have asked for an RMA, but now I'm slightly hesitant. I mainly play BF4 at 1440p and going back to a single 290X isn't all that great in comparison as the 970s do me proud in this game. I'd ideally go for a couple of 8GB 290s, but my PSU won't be able to cope so I'd have to take a new PSU into account if I were to go that route.

Waiting for 3xx series for an xfire setup will leave me needing a new psu as well (I expect) so that extra cost is there as well.

What to do....

OcUK Staff
Would it be an idea to change the product listings for 970 cards now so that it is clear they have a different memory architecture to 980s?

That way people purchasing them now can make a more informed choice?

P.S. Very impressed with the way OcUK are handling this. There have been times in the past when OcUK has got a bum rap over customer service. However I think this clearly demonstrates the reality.

I was there during some of OcUK's darker times where admittedly service was a bit hit or miss, amazing or terrible. In the last three years tremendous effort and plans were implemented to ensure all customers get top notch service and things have improved vastly without a doubt. :)

Are we perfect? No company is but I'd like to think were the best now and should things go wrong what OcUK does better than any rival is you can come on these forums and seek help as staff and moderators man the forums 24/7 and are very pro-active, we even have staff patrolling review sites to just in case a customer does get badly treated it can be quickly investigated and dealt with to customers satisfaction. :)

We've come a long way and we only continue to keep on further improving our service levels.

Associate
How many 970 owners will ACTUALLY notice the difference? My guess is not many, yes it's a derp on nvidias part but I think it's been blown out of proportion massively and a lot of people jump on the band wagon.

Associate
Well I've changed to 2 KFA2 HOF 980s from 2 G1 970s and there is a real difference in performance and the stuttering / hitching is non existent anymore.

Can now play Arma 3 MP at 4k with no problems :D

Dying light which wasn't too bad on 970s till you got attacked or looked around fast which made it stutter/hitch is no longer there for me :D

Edit: Thanks Overclockers for the fast delivery and accepting my Gigabyte cards even though they won't refund you guys, I will seriously think twice before buying another Gigabyte product.
Excellent service as always.

Once i send these cards back ill fill in the trust pilot form.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom