Spec me....mosquito repellant

Associate
Hi, I'm due to go to Malaysia in a weeks time. To Penang and Sibu. The mosquitoes in Penang are no problem for me. If I recall correctly, they are about the same as the ones in the UK in the summer, but all year round there obviously.
However, the ones in Sibu are about an inch in length, the size of my thumb. And when I get bit by them I get a ring of redness/itchiness about an inch in diameter and it gets so bad that about half the time I get the swelling of puss where the bite mark was a day after.
So, I had a look in my pharmacy today and saw some "Jungle Formula." On the ingredients it stated "50% DEET."
Anyone know of anything more potent/effective? I will use it at night and when I go out during the day.
At night also I am temped to try the leaving a bowl of animal blood in the room for a kind of sacrifice/don't bite me, take the blood instead tactic. Anyone know if this is effective?

Caporegime
I'd recommend Lifesystems expedition 100 plus but any very high deet repellent will be just as good.

Use it sparingly though as its really not nice stuff. Does the trick more than anything else when you need the strong stuff though... Don't get it in cuts or clothes and be caeeful around plastic and paint, it'll melt it...

Man of Honour
What ever happened to the kite patches on indiegogo. They looked promising if it wasn't vapour ware.

Deet doesn't work. I must be tasty, I'm always worst affected.

Associate
OP
I'm going to buy the 100% and also 55% (in case I can't hack the 100%) pyramid deet stuff.
I found a customer review on a website:

-------
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
The daddy of all repellents
By RonBurgundy on 17 July 2014
Size Name: AItem Package Quantity: 1 Verified Purchase
Living next to a forest we do suffer the odd (well a lot) midgie storm. I have tried loads of things from normal repellents to Avon skin so soft, to eating lots of garlic and Marmite....... all of which I am told help to deter midgies. Well none of them worked, but this 100% deet spray is the absolute daddy of all repellents.

Yes it makes your lips go numb and stings parts of your face for a while, but you can walk through a cloud of midgies and they will actively avoid you. Those renegade hardcore midgies that brave a landing on your skin, soon buckle under the pressure and leave your skin untouched.

If you are a bit of a lightweight go for the 50% Deet, but real men go for the 100% and start enjoying the outdoors again.
--------
So yeh can't wait to test it out in Sibu. Now all I have to worry about is my plane not crashing! Cheers guys.

Caporegime
Avon Skin So Soft "unscented" works great

I've tried that after the "recommendations" by he military in Afghan and it really did nothing in the areas I tried it. Perhaps the afghani muzzies don't like the smell but the ones in Central America and Africa aren't put off...:p

Back
Top Bottom