Spare student loan money..

Soldato
Afternoon gents. I have found myself in a position where I have a lot of my student loan left over and I very rarely need to dip into it to avoid myself needing an overdraft. It's quite a lot of money (into the mid thousands) and I was wondering what best to do with it. Its currently sat in one of those online e savings accounts with 0.1% interest :p. What is the best thing to do with it? I know very little about these matters

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Safe high interest savings account for a house deposit in ~6 or so years
Medium risk high interest savings account & funds/shares for a house deposit in ~6years or so years
High risk funds/shares for a house deposit in ~6years or so years

And any extra money keep adding to it, and when you start work put a little money in every month.
You think it's not worth it, but so many people, myself included regret not doing it. Even £50 a month is better than nothing. It soon adds up by your late 20s.

Man of Honour
Chris [BEANS];27600797 said:
Pay back the loan! Future without debt is the way forward.....

Absolutely do not do this. Unless you own your house outright.
It is a very cheap and risk free loan.

Soldato
I think if you didn't pay it back now and don't need the cash at all then you'd look back in 5-10 years and wish you had paid it off. However, it's nice to have a bit of an emergency fund so perhaps consider paying back two thirds of what you have left.

Soldato
OP
Chris [BEANS];27600797 said:
Pay back the loan! Future without debt is the way forward.....

I have heard it is better to make use of the loan...
Absolutely do not do this. Unless you own your house outright.
It is a very cheap and risk free loan.

Indeed. Heard from several people that it is 'the best loan you will ever get'

Safe high interest savings account for a house deposit in ~6 or so years

Something like this is what I had in mind. Now to find the best one

Last edited:
Soldato
Put it in savings, use it towards a house deposit.

You would struggle to get the equivalent amount back as additional mortgage value in the future if you just paid it back so to speak.

Caporegime
Make it work for you. A student loan is the cheapest loan you will ever have. Putting it in some high interest savings to use as a house deposit later is a good call.

Paying a student loan off early is a foolish thing to do for the majority of people.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Make it work for you. A student loan is the cheapest loan you will ever have. Putting it in some high interest savings to use as a house deposit later is a good call.

Paying a student loan off early is a foolish thing to do for the majority of people.

+1

I've taken all the maintanence loan I can, I don't spend any of it so I've and chucked it into an stock options based investment plan that's currently returning 8% p.a (of course I could lose all of it at the drop of a hat but meh).

Back
Top Bottom