• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Thing is we are put in this situation by retailers such as OCUK saying you've only got FEB to return your card

DaringImmenseHellbender.gif

I believe what they actually said, was that Nvidia are not accepting returns, manufacturers are not accepting returns and no other retailers are either, however they will accept returns and they will give people until the end of next month to thing about it, because they are awesome as ****

(I know manufacturers and some other retailers have since jumped on the bandwagon, but it was OCUK that got it moving).

R3X

R3X

Soldato
GPU limbo is driving me nuts, be happy with anything concrete from AMD on the 390X - I never used to jump at new cards (before 970) but GTA V and Project CARS dropping very soon may force my hand even before the 390X arrives

Yup spotted 970s on members market for £225..... so getting 300 quid is nice however I think ill just keep it. AMD could release their next card in April, may, June but knowing them June.

I may wish to fire up a game by then !

I think by the time AMD release a new card Nvidia will start leaking their next gen card specs and then gets worse when they both decide to release 8gig cards, so by then hopefully an 8gig next gen monster card arrives lol

Soldato
Thing is we are put in this situation by retailers such as OCUK saying you've only got FEB to return your card

The other point is, the 980 GTX has a far higher resale value than the 970 GTX, imagine trying to sell your 970 and nobody wants to buy it because of what's going on

Even though it's still the 2nd best card you can buy for 1080p and one just went in the members market asking price? All this about VRam and everybody seems to forget that the 970 is still an absolutely brilliant card at a good price.

Associate
Being that I've just spotted this thread, and there are a few hundred pages, whats the deal in a very short summary?

Any response from Nvidia? I get the OcUK are allowing RMA but whats the answer looking forward.

I was quite literally about to blam my load on 2 x 970s and the 4k2k GSync Monitor.

Now i'll just be left with a rig and no GPU...

R3X

R3X

Soldato
The other point is, the 980 GTX has a far higher resale value than the 970 GTX, imagine trying to sell your 970 and nobody wants to buy it because of what's going on

Am gonna chance it tbh will see if Nvidia can fix this via a driver update like the claim they can and once that fails see what they offer or do, no way can Nvidia sweep this under the rug.

Free 980GTXs or fixed 970GTXs :D

Soldato
the issue being that in *some* games which *might* access all 4GB of ram (fast and slow) then frame hitching might occur when reading from the fast side to the slower side.

whilst this has been shown to be worse in sli @4k , *some* games might use a lot of ram @1440p or even 1080p

Associate
Yup spotted 970s on members market for £225..... so getting 300 quid is nice however I think ill just keep it. AMD could release their next card in April, may, June but knowing them June.

I may wish to fire up a game by then !

I think by the time AMD release a new card Nvidia will start leaking their next gen card specs and then gets worse when they both decide to release 8gig cards, so by then hopefully an 8gig next gen monster card arrives lol

If AMD have any sense at all they'll be pulling all the stops out to ensure a very early Q2 launch to try and regain some market share, but they lost it for a reason..

390X needs to be mind-blowingly good, cool, quiet, efficient and not need a second mortgage to get one. Bahahaa @ the prospect of these all happening

Slightly off-topic sorry, so:

Ahem, grrr Nvidia, liars, VRAM, grumble etc :p

Cheers

Associate
Surely this'll be an issue with pretty much all newer titles though?

So basically, to me it seems, if I'm going to go NVid, wait until cards with a higher VRam or wider memory bus are on the market to prevent the maxing out / bottlenecking?

I intended on playing a heavily modded skyrim along with pretty much everything new at high or max settings.

Soldato
BF4 has been fine for me but I tend to play that with medium/high settings for better FPS. Other games are also ok.

Anyone sitting on the fence really needs to think about this long and hard really.

The 970 is still a cracking card for the price and trades blows with the 290 and 290x quite easily, especially at 1080p providing the games you play don't use more than 3.5GB vram. If they do then simply drop the visual settings if you are happy to do so.

On the negative side 2nd hand prices of the 970 may not be fantastic with this negativity.

But if you do send the card back and get your money back what options do you have? Yes you could upgrade to the 980 seeing as it's the fastest card around currently but that's throwing more money at Nvidia.

AMD have the 290 and 290x which could be said offers better bang for buck but it all depends on your situation.

I'd rather not touch AMD again after the issues i've had in the past (driver and Mantle performance). The 8GB 290x would future proof your nicely but core for core, the 970 and 980 are generally seen as quicker. Plus they use less power, etc

it's a tough one.

Sadly it's not like there is a clear winner from this and it's all happened at a not so good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom