Afraid of the dark?

Soldato
Anxious about being a wimp probably!

What like the grown men here who wet their pants when-ever someone posts a picture of a little spider :confused:

As other sensible people have said, chucking them in the deep end can cause more damage than good.

Probably best ask a decent psychologist rather than a bunch of alpha hypocrites who will no doubt bang on about 'manning up!' :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Ask them why they are scared of the dark, could well be a simple reason, they've seen something they didn't like, something happened when they were younger.
Could even be something like sleep paralysis.

Soldato
If it's something that he needs to do, such as school, then be a little more lenient, if it's going to see a mate down the road then tell him to suck it up and go alone or not go.

Associate
Parents! If your (very, very nearly) secondary school age child would not go outside in the dark, because he was scared, what would you do?

We are not talking about a "bad" neighbourhood or dangerous part of the country. Not darkest Birmingham ;) Street lighting is present all along his route home. Some journeys he will not make are literally two or three doors down the road to his friends.

1) Pick him up from school, etc, ferry him everywhere he needs to go in the car. Assume he will get over it in his own time. Continue to do this for as long as it takes.

2) Tell him he has to make some journeys on foot in the dark on his own. He's becoming a big boy and this needs to stop.

Parents have decided to with (1). I said it was time for (2), but it's not my child. My child would be very traumatised, so it's probably a good thing I'm not a parent ;)

But I wanted to see what you guys thought.

I'm with you on number 2. The wee chap needs to man up.

Permabanned
Difficult situation as there could be various reasons for his fears and how you address them could have serious consequences on his state of mind.

Personally I would attempt a multi faceted approach where you expose him in small stages to situations that mean he faces these fears but with support and consideration.

I don't think it is an either/or answer, but one of progressive exposure and direct and indirect support.

Associate
For a 10 year old child, I would go with 1. 10 years old is still very very young.
Around age 12+ would be appropriate to go with option 2, in my opinion.

Associate
It could be either laziness or some anxiety kicking in. I am sure my son (14) has social anxiety of some description as he always wants to play with friends online rather than go outside and do things like I used to when I was a kid. Maybe it's just society today, but I am thankful he is not out causing havoc and hanging round in a gang.

I would say option 1 until they are at secondary school and then option 2 when they start.

Associate
It could be a response to anxiety, maybe he's anxious about something

Have you tried and asked the question if he is being bullied or has something happened to him that is causing him to be this way? I say this, as my son when he was still at school got into abit of bother with some other lads and we only found out about it after his sister had seen them with him. ;)

Soldato
I'll reiterate my point, walk with the kid.

If it is close enough for him to walk if he wasn't scared, then its close enough for the parents to walk to and from school with him as well.

Option 1 - Drive everywhere
Pros:Won't get wet
Fast

Cons: Highest chance of death
Petrol costs
School rush hour driving
Instils a sense of dependance in the child

Option 2 - Get him to walk by himself
Pros: Very independant
Healthy for child
Free
Cons: Child is scared of the dark, or more likely, being alone

Option 3 - Walk with him
Pros: Healthy for all
Free
Least stress
Stepping stone to option 2

Cons: Might miss the start of home and away.
Could get wet.

Back
Top Bottom