• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

About to bite the bullet on a 970

Soldato
WHY are people still considering these when 290x's are available for cheaper? Nvidia fanboyism is hilarious.

Very true! i see it quite funny with certain people constantly recommending a higher priced 970 over a great card such as the lightning which will trade blows with a 970 and probably smack it about a bit tbh!

Id rather pay for a card that isn't gimped at pretty much the same performance or slightly better which good overclocking headroom that of such as the lightning and not worry about turning settings down incase you hit that 3.5GB vram wall where game performance is effected.

Associate
No it hasn't been ridiculous. What's been ridiculous is the amount of people that haven't noticed the problems for one reason or another, dismissing those that are genuinely having issues with their card.

If you're happy with your card then good for you, but don't dismiss those that have legitimate problems as that's just retarded.

Also congratulations on missing the problem completely, the issue isn't the fps it's the stuttering due to accessing the slower part of the vram.

Agreed, and lets not forget its not just the vram issue its also the other specs, the rops the cache that adds to the mix.
Bottom line you pay what you pay for.

By the way i used to have 970's

Soldato
I don't think the 970's issue is as bad as some have led people to believe. Just certain red people doing it as a way to fight back as a lot of green people jumped on the AMD 200 series cards when they had blackscreen issues and were running hot with reference issues.

Now there's this with the 970 the reds have something to use against the greens. Really annoying tbh because some one from a neutral point of view will get put off a certain series or brand because of this pathetic tit for tat.

Still i have to admit from my point of view i would still be put off the 970 at its price knowing now what nVidia have said and where they stand. However its still a cracking card and at 1080p is a beast of a card i just think it's lost a bit of value now and probably should be priced more accordingly.

Soldato
The whole red team vs green team is ridiculous. Grow up ffs. It's a graphics card manufacturer, not a political movement. Both have pretty much the same features and play the exact same games.

Soldato
I don't think the 970's issue is as bad as some have led people to believe. Just certain red people doing it as a way to fight back as a lot of green people jumped on the AMD 200 series cards when they had blackscreen issues and were running hot with reference issues.

Now there's this with the 970 the reds have something to use against the greens. Really annoying tbh because some one from a neutral point of view will get put off a certain series or brand because of this pathetic tit for tat.
Seriously you are sounding exactly like Greg. Blaming it on the "red people"...have you actually spent time on the 970 4GB thread? It consist of mainly of 970 owners that claims not having problem, and Nvidia users that don't even own the 970 arguing against 970 users that claims to have problems! Most of the "red people" you referring to were just commenting (and some people) making fun of aspect of Nvidia's false advertising/deceiving their customers and user base.

There's been reports by 970 users on stuttering and other issues by users even way before the whole false-advertising spec and vram scandal blown-up, and they were "helpfully" assured/put down by Nvidia users (many that don't even own the 970) that is just bad driver and Ubisoft's broken badly ported games...

Seriously...I cannot understand how anyone could still recommend the 970 at this moment, when people have to pay more money than a same performance AMD card, and to take a chance and hope for the best that no problem will occur?

And before you go take my comment as a "red guy" having a go at Nvidia, for your information after the launch of 970/980, I recommended the 970 over 290/290x EVERYTIME for other people...but that was before I knew the problem with the 970. On the 970 thread, someone who sent his 970 back and put his old 7950 back into his PC to tie him over reported that games felt smoother despite having lower frame rate...that's quite alarming! So it might not be just the amount of vram available on the 970 is the issue, but possibly something else (possibly the design of the memory accessing interface) are causing frame pacing issue.

Seriously, green vs red shouldn't belong in a thread where someone is seeking buying advice...if someone cannot say they are 100% certain the stuttering issue would not occur, then he shouldn't recommend the 970. I mean I wouldn't recommend the 970 even if there's just a 5% probability that the problems might arise.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia have lost a Fanboy and regular customer. I will not be buying from them ever Again. I'm going to the Dark side, AMD ftw.

I've had 780
780ti
Titan black

now time for 3XX series <3

Soldato
Soldato
Seriously you are sounding exactly like Greg. Blaming it on the "red people"...have you actually spent time on the 970 4GB thread? It consist of mainly of 970 owners that claims not having problem, and Nvidia users that don't even own the 970 arguing against 970 users that claims to have problems! Most of the "red people" you referring to were just commenting (and some people) making fun of aspect of Nvidia's false advertising/deceiving their customers and user base.

Nope, that thread was mostly made up of people not owning a 970 telling 970 owners their cards were broken. very few arguments against owners claiming to have problems were made in that thread. Very few people were interested in the truth or a resolution for the issues. i mean christ, when OCUK annouced they would begin accepting cards back, the op refused to edit the first post with a link to Gibbos post with all the details in it. Gibbo himself had to edit it:o

There was a LOT of BS in that thread, look how many times i was called a fanboy just because i was trying to get to the truth rather than whining and bitching about how nVidia screwed me over.

Last edited:
Associate
The GTX 970s are still good cards, I own one and am very impressed so far.

The vram issue is only going to be apparent running high resolutions, 1080p I doubt you will encounter it.

AMD release is just around the corner, might be worth waiting to see what happens...

Associate
I'm a 970 owner and have bought a 290x. I've been complaining about stutter for ages and not because of the vram. The little time I've gamed on the 290x the games are a lot smoother. Mine will be going back before the end of Feb.

Soldato
I have a 970 and its boxed up ready to go back.

here is my reason why.

now I don't get money often to replace my gpu (£250) every year or when a new card comes out so I need it to last as long as possible.

now my Radeon HD 5830 I have had since 2011 which my 970 was replacing and I have never had a issue with it or drivers.

As games use more vram and require the full speed 4GB at full speed to use it doesn't make the gpu very future proof to me as when this starts to happen I will need to turn down details to stop it going over the 3.5gb limit to prevent the stuttering and huge fps drop.

this is just my opinion and how I see it

Last edited:
Associate
I have SLI 970's @ 1440p, SOM, DO:I erm.... that's about all I have played that go over 3.5GB vRAM and they are silky smooth!!.. Obviously YMMV.

970@1080p is a beast. I personally trialled 290x xfire with a mate who took my 970's (He also runs 1440p), lets just say, I wanted to give them back and he didn't!! He never saw stuttering, and was in awe of the silence and temps in his case.

End of the day its up to you. the 780TI is a fantastic card, even better in SLI, it has 3GB VRAM. And many people are running it at 1440p. The 970 'issue' is more an nvidia problem than a performance problem IMO.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 970 and its boxed up ready to go back.

here is my reason why.

now I don't get money often to replace my gpu (£250) every year or when a new card comes out so I need it to last as long as possible.

now my Radeon HD 5830 I have had since 2011 which my 970 was replacing and I have never had a issue with it or drivers.

As games use more vram and require the full speed 4GB at full speed to use it doesn't make the gpu very future proof to me as when this starts to happen I will need to turn down details to stop it going over the 3.5gb limit to prevent the stuttering and huge fps drop.

this is just my opinion and how I see it

Sorry to make this 'that thread', but have you actually experienced any of these issues? if so what game, what res etc...??

I'm sorry, but the words bandwagon and jumping are all I seem to see at the moment. Oh, and also cutting off noses to spite faces... Maybe I'm just old.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry to make this 'that thread', but have you actually experienced any of these issues? if so what game, what res etc...??

I'm sorry, but the words bandwagon and jumping are all I seem to see at the moment. Oh, and also cutting off noses to spite faces... Maybe I'm just old.
You might want to have a look at sprite's post above his as well.

I don't know why, but so many posts of 970 users who are having problem are getting conveniently ignored or overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom