Winter Tyre Choice - Would You Change?

Associate
It's that time of year when all the Ducatis hide away in their warm garages, cuddled up next to the fire, waiting for the summer months.

All of us real bikers are still thrashing our bikes around in the cold and rain like madmen, which is admirable, but I'm beginning to wonder whether my tyres should be changed for the conditions?

My 2007 Street Triple R currently has a pair of Dunlop SportSmart2s on, but I'm contemplating swapping to something different for the cold winter months with all the grit and crap on the roads?

Dunlop RoadSmart? Bridgestone Battleax T30s? Michelin Pilot Road 3s? - Will these be significantly better than my current setup for cold and wet riding?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure what sort of tyre the SportSMart2's are - but for all year round/all weather/winter use: Pilot Road 3/4. To be honest I'd run these year round on a daily use bike, then leave the sport rubber for the weekend toy. Chances are if you commute on the Street you'll ride in the rain, the wet grip of pilot roads are meant to be hard to beat.

Soldato
I've had T30s and Pilot Road 3s previously and currently have Pirelli Angel GTs. If I'm honest I can't really tell the difference between them as they're all good in both dry and wet weather.

Caporegime
can only recommend one trye atm,best ive used so far

Pirelli angel

aint used the pilot 3/4 yet,cant remember if my bike came with them on tho? but was a little bit meh imo,angel #1 for me so far all year round riding

Soldato
Metzeler Racetec K3's for me... I don't ride much in winter anymore :p.

I used to ride my Bandit with BT016 or 021, can't remember which, all year round and I found them to be fine. That said, I didn't have much experience to compare them to, but I rode in the snow with them and I didn't bin it, so can't be too bad lol.

Associate
Just gone through the winter on Conti sport attacks. Best tyres i've had, even through all the cold weather. felt just as good as the pilot roads i had on last year.

Soldato
I definitely want to try different tyres after my slip. I like the looks of the Pilot Road 3/4, but how are they in the dry/sun?

They're great in the dry/summer for moderately fast riding, but are also one of the better (if not best) if the wet on the road.

Ish

Ish

Associate
I use PR3s on my Ninja and find them good for all types of road riding whether that be commuting in the rain or blasting round the A roads in summer.

Soldato
I went through the end of last winter with Bridgestone T30's, being the first tyres i have ever tried i felt they were good, handled well, did need to be a bit careful in the wet though or the cold until they were warm. Dunlops i hated, very slippery during summer so went back to my part worn T30's and i managed just under 9,000 miles legally on them. I did an extra 1000 and a lot of burn outs and the treads are almost shadows in the middle, but they are still very grippy in the dry. After the T30's i went for the PR4's the front went on first and currently has 8000ish on it and is almost 1mm of the wear indicators, probably wont last long into spring tbh, but through this winter these tyres have really inspired confidence in the wet, i am able to get leans in the wet that are simply stupid, they warm up very quickly even after just a few braking cycles. but at 3-4 in the morning they do go cold quickly if stuck at lights. But they warm up very quickly so its not a problem. Il probably buy one more PR4 for the front to last with the rear until summer and see how well they perform/last through the hot weather

Associate
OP
I felt the back end start to slip as I went around a corner last weekend (low speed, but from cold, so may have leaned it over a bit too far, but I certainly wasn't trying to get my knee down or anything, just pootling along!) so I've really had my confidence in my current rubber smashed. That's why I'm asking. :)

Caporegime
My bike has a BT021 rear and BT016 front. I fell off in slippy damp winter conditions with not that much braking, due to the front locking.

Hmm... :(

I had bt21 before I changed didn't like them at all they just felt oddly hard like they weren't gripping the road like riding with solid plastic wheels instead of rubber tyres

Back
Top Bottom