I need to quit my job

Permabanned
Yes, it's the dreaded letter - the one that says 'I want to leave your employ' for pastures greener.
I have never had to do this before because I have either been made redundant or it was just an informal chat. This time is different and requires me to put it in writing. I have no idea if there is a protocol that is usually followed and my main concern is that I don't want to burn any bridges.

I'm sure some of you have done this before, I'd like to know what you wrote to convey the message in a proper and formal manner.

Regards
Scott

Man of Honour
I wou'd always keep it simple and to the facts. I am very much of the opinion that in life most things are better served by simple facts and no over the top explanations.

Dear xxxxx

I am giving notice of my resignation. I understand that I have a xxxxx day notice period and therefore my last day will be xxxxx.

Yours faithfully,
xxxxxx

Mr Ex Employee

Unfortunately when I did it for the first time I printed it on a public printer and someone beat me to it. The look on their face as I took the letter out of their hand was priceless :)

Permabanned
I'd suggest you write a very basic letter and if you'd like to smooth things over (if you suspect it could burn bridges) then have a chat with your employer when you drop it off.

Associate
When I left my job I wrote what everyone else has said + thanked them for all the support/training I had and said I had enjoyed my time there which I really had, I only left because we had to move. Then handed it to my boss when no one else was around and we had a good chat and she wished me luck for the future and that was it. Next day everyone knew I was leaving which is why I kept it until I had handed my letter in :D

Caporegime
Dear ****,

I'm giving you notice that I am leaving my employment with you on - date - the reason being you are an inept incompetent **** and frankly I'd rather do anything that did not involve working for you any longer.

I would especially be grateful if you can roll this letter tightly in order to shove it and your job right where the sun won't shine.

Yours Sincerely,

Mr Ex Employee.

.i..

Word for word resignation letter of a former colleague of mine, despite this letter, he still worked his weeks notice! :p

Soldato
I wou'd always keep it simple and to the facts. I am very much of the opinion that in life most things are better served by simple facts and no over the top explanations.

Dear xxxxx

I am giving notice of my resignation. I understand that I have a xxxxx day notice period and therefore my last day will be xxxxx.

Yours faithfully,
xxxxxx

Mr Ex Employee

Unfortunately when I did it for the first time I printed it on a public printer and someone beat me to it. The look on their face as I took the letter out of their hand was priceless :)

Short and to the point.

One copy for your immediate boss and one copy to HR.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Mine.

Mr xxxxxxxx

This notice serves to inform you that I shall be terminating my employment with you effective from dd mm yyyy.

If you require further contact with me after this date, please approach through my solicitors, xxxx xxxxx, in the first instance.

Regards.

Mr xxxxx

But I did do them for constructive dismissal ;)

Caporegime
At a previous job I saw a work mate write his resignation letter on the side of a box of cheese in black marker, and drop it at the feet of his boss and walk out! Lol

Caporegime
Just keep it basic, statement that you are giving notice that you're resigning from your position effective today then throw in a couple of lines of waffle stating that you've enjoyed your time there, time to move on etc.. & thanking them for the opportunity.

Man of Honour
I handed mine in the other day.

Stuck to the basics, said I'll be leaving gave them my last working day thanked them for their employment.

Job done.

Man of Honour
Why do people feel the need to thank their soon to be ex-employers?

In my case no matter how much I'd grown to hate the job and environment without them taking me on fresh from uni with no experience there's no way I'd have been in a position to get my new job so I'm still grateful for them for taking that chance.

Permabanned
It is with regret that I write to you to tender my resignation from my role as XXXXX with [Company]

I have very much enjoyed my time with the company and the people I have interacted with. However, the prospect of a fresh start and new challenge at this point in my life is simply too great to turn down.

My resignation is effective from today. As per my contract, I am providing X weeks of notice period.

I wish everyone at [Company] all the best and hope that the future can be equally rewarding to us.

Yours sincerely

Your name

Soldato
As someone who has received these on occasions. Having the "formal" letter along with and "informal" chat does wonders.

I had a driver who wanted to pursue his own ideas. Who can blame him he wanted to be his own boss.

However it didn't work out and he was taken back on.

One of the most important things is thanking them and NOT burning bridges.

You never know when/where you may meet again.

I lost a big chunk of work to a company (they bought my customer and moved inhouse) about 10 yrs ago. Fast forward 8 yrs and that company gives me enough work to have 30 drivers now.

Do NOT burn bridges

Back
Top Bottom