• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Radeon R9 295X2 Owners Thread

Associate
Yeah not being able to run from the card is something I'm not sure I'd want. I do have a fan controller with some spare outputs though, how do you use yours Matt? Stick them on high and just leave them alone or keep an eye on temps and up them as required?

The stats on the Noctuas do look good but then they are twice the price of the Corsairs and as I found when trying to choose case fans, the stats aren't the whole story and peoples experience seems to vary wildly with most fans.
Oh and of course they aren't red so don't look as good :D

Caporegime
Yeah not being able to run from the card is something I'm not sure I'd want. I do have a fan controller with some spare outputs though, how do you use yours Matt? Stick them on high and just leave them alone or keep an eye on temps and up them as required?

The stats on the Noctuas do look good but then they are twice the price of the Corsairs and as I found when trying to choose case fans, the stats aren't the whole story and peoples experience seems to vary wildly with most fans.
Oh and of course they aren't red so don't look as good :D

Good question. I tend to ramp them down to barely moving at idle and ramp them up about half way when gaming. It does allow me to control the temps i want to see, which i like.

Soldato
Good question. I tend to ramp them down to barely moving at idle and ramp them up about half way when gaming. It does allow me to control the temps i want to see, which i like.

Well for science we should ask corsair rep to send you some sp120 and if the temps/noise is good he will get nice few sales on from few of us...

I never thought I would actually say this but I am thinking of going 2 x 290x or a single 295x2 after reading this thread.

The 295x2 is a sick card...not happy with 970sli ?

Associate

Yeah maybe I will consider that approach, it is a bit annoying not being able to set a custom fan profile from the card. As an insider do you know the reason for that? Is it just to protect the card from people not running the fans high enough?

I never thought I would actually say this but I am thinking of going 2 x 290x or a single 295x2 after reading this thread.

Hell, after reading some of this thread I'm tempted to get a second 295x2 :) Don't think that'll go down to well with my wife though, ever since she found out I spent more on the 295x2 than I did on her engagement ring she's not been so keen on me getting any more upgrades until she gets more diamonds ;)

Soldato
I'm losing gsync too, but it's fine as I can sell the monitor and use the money to fund a freesync monitor.

From all the stuff I've seen on the net it should be much cheaper then Gsync which is good... you will loose a bit of money but should be able to get similar size / hz /resolution for the price.....

Soldato
Still not sure. If it was £499 I would snap it up. I have found two places on the net selling it for £549 with free delivery (3-4 days) or next day for £7 both in stock. Much cheaper than the lowest OCUK one.

Did a look round at some benchmarks and its more or less same as 970 SLI in benchmarks and games in some 295x2 wins slighty and in some 970 wins.

eg 3d Mark Firestrike online says 295x2 8300 Extreme and 18600 normal. When I look at my results online I get exact same, 8300 Extreme and 18600 ish normal albeit this with a 1500mhz overclock. When I had the 970's at stock it was 11000 in Firestrike normal.

Associate
You lost me on the gear box building but I know what you mean about the whining noise. I like that noise when some minis are going past but I suppose if your sitting on that noise all the time it can get annoying.

I've never dabbled with the engine apart from new fuel pump, stabilisers etc. I renew the suspension with new cones, hilos, agx shocks, ball joints etc. I don't normally dabble unless something breaks, I just love driving it.

Got a problem with it at the moment where it won't start unless I tip a little fuel straight into the carb. Getting plenty of fuel to the carb but it just won't start from Cold.

Nice mate.

Never come across that issue before with the car not starting, as it's also getting fuel in the carb.
You Sure the float and needle is ok. Or ask the mini forum.

I will post my car on car thread when I'm home next week, as we already been warned :D

Associate
Hi all.

First off

24npao5.jpg

now, my system specs;

Mobo ASUS X99-S

GPU
1x R9 295x2 (MSI) @ 1055/1500
1x R9 295x2 (XFX) @ 1055/1500

CPU
i7 5930k @ 4.5GHz (and NB @ 4.5)
NZXT Kraken X60 AIO

PSU
Leadex Super Flower 2000W PSU

RAM
16Gb (4x4) Avexir Platinum 2400 DDR4 RAM @ 2400 12/12/12/24 1T

Screen
Samsung 27D850D LED 2560x1440 (Game @ AMD VSR 3200x1800)

SSD
2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB SATA 6Gb/s (RAID-0)

Case
NZXT 810 black

I purchased my whole system from here prior to Xmas but at the time, with only one GPU (MSI 295x2 and an Antec 1000W PSU). Within a couple of weeks, the GPU failed. The AIO stopped working at the pumps though the radiator fan and card fan ran, the pumps didn’t = massive overheat and shutdown within minutes of boot. OcUK RMA’d back to MSI in about 4-5 weeks which I filled the slot with a Sapphire R9 290X 4Gb Vapor-X in the meantime.

When I received my 295x2 back, I popped it in and x-fired with my 290X but the system began to random hard reset, no blue screens or error messages, just click, off! I assumed the PSU was not up to running this set-up.

After a couple of weeks of being bored of the hard resets (even though everything was tried at STOCK!!!) which was only a couple of weeks ago now, I thought, sod it, and swapped out my 290X (now sitting on the shelf in its box) with another 295x2 (XFX) and the Super Flower 2000W PSU :) (The Antec also back in its box and on the shelf)

From my following screenshots, you can see these cards run very well OC at 1055c/1500m with an under-volt of 25mV from stock and temps hovering around 62degC over the 4 cores and my CPU at around the same temp. This is running 12 “CPU’s” worth of BOINC, 10 threads dedicated to POGS and 2 to SETI (with the GPU’s running 4 tasks ea, 16 in all.) (team OcUK). No system resets or reboots, my system now runs SWEET.

So I just wanted to pop into the 295x2 thread and say hi :) ty.

*Just to note, the myth about radiator and tubing orientation imo can be busted as my cards run the same temp in the orientations seen below :) (bottom card just a smidgen cooler on core 1, but obvious why! And that’s the one set 90deg out from the consensus)

Question: GPU’s, no matter what voltage or power limit increase I set in AB, above 1055MHz core, during gaming/BOINC crunching, the 3D clocks will jump up and down even falling below 1000MHz quite erratically, yet when I set them to 1055, they stay there solid – no fluctuation..???? Core temps are good as you can see below, wuhyyyyy?

hss6tg.jpg

(driver std, no tweaks) (VRAM 3072????):
Sleeping Dogs 3200x1800 EXTREME
avrel1.jpg
Sleeping Dogs 1920x1080 HIGH
awp6iw.jpg

Caporegime
Hi all.

First off

24npao5.jpg

now, my system specs;

Mobo ASUS X99-S

GPU
1x R9 295x2 (MSI) @ 1055/1500
1x R9 295x2 (XFX) @ 1055/1500

CPU
i7 5930k @ 4.5GHz (and NB @ 4.5)
NZXT Kraken X60 AIO

PSU
Leadex Super Flower 2000W PSU

RAM
16Gb (4x4) Avexir Platinum 2400 DDR4 RAM @ 2400 12/12/12/24 1T

Screen
Samsung 27D850D LED 2560x1440 (Game @ AMD VSR 3200x1800)

SSD
2x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB SATA 6Gb/s (RAID-0)

Case
NZXT 810 black

I purchased my whole system from here prior to Xmas but at the time, with only one GPU (MSI 295x2 and an Antec 1000W PSU). Within a couple of weeks, the GPU failed. The AIO stopped working at the pumps though the radiator fan and card fan ran, the pumps didn’t = massive overheat and shutdown within minutes of boot. OcUK RMA’d back to MSI in about 4-5 weeks which I filled the slot with a Sapphire R9 290X 4Gb Vapor-X in the meantime.

When I received my 295x2 back, I popped it in and x-fired with my 290X but the system began to random hard reset, no blue screens or error messages, just click, off! I assumed the PSU was not up to running this set-up.

After a couple of weeks of being bored of the hard resets (even though everything was tried at STOCK!!!) which was only a couple of weeks ago now, I thought, sod it, and swapped out my 290X (now sitting on the shelf in its box) with another 295x2 (XFX) and the Super Flower 2000W PSU :) (The Antec also back in its box and on the shelf)

From my following screenshots, you can see these cards run very well OC at 1055c/1500m with an under-volt of 25mV from stock and temps hovering around 62degC over the 4 cores and my CPU at around the same temp. This is running 12 “CPU’s” worth of BOINC, 10 threads dedicated to POGS and 2 to SETI (with the GPU’s running 4 tasks ea, 16 in all.) (team OcUK). No system resets or reboots, my system now runs SWEET.

So I just wanted to pop into the 295x2 thread and say hi :) ty.

*Just to note, the myth about radiator and tubing orientation imo can be busted as my cards run the same temp in the orientations seen below :) (bottom card just a smidgen cooler on core 1, but obvious why! And that’s the one set 90deg out from the consensus)

Question: GPU’s, no matter what voltage or power limit increase I set in AB, above 1055MHz core, during gaming/BOINC crunching, the 3D clocks will jump up and down even falling below 1000MHz quite erratically, yet when I set them to 1055, they stay there solid – no fluctuation..???? Core temps are good as you can see below, wuhyyyyy?

hss6tg.jpg

(driver std, no tweaks) (VRAM 3072????):
Sleeping Dogs 3200x1800 EXTREME
avrel1.jpg
Sleeping Dogs 1920x1080 HIGH
awp6iw.jpg

Welcome to the owners club. Great to see a fellow 295x2 QuadFire user out there! :cool:

I'd recommend setting the power limit at +50%, that might resolve the clock switching issue.

I'm unfamiliar with Bionic, does it put the cards under 99% load? If not powertune could be kicking in and lowering the clocks.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey Matt

I have tried 1056 on the core upto max V and max power limit, BOINC will run the cores at 100% (shown in my screen shot) and even at a relatively cool 62-65 degC, the clocks will bounce around something crazy. 1055 is kinda fine anyhoo :)

Associate
I expect so, not worth my time chasing it. I would be more annoyed if it did it to 1 core only (then likely silicon-lotto as they say), but over 4 cores at the exact same settings.. software!!

I'm happy with my whole system OC as it is ;)

Back
Top Bottom