SUV Recommendations

Soldato
Morning all!

Looking for recommendations on an SUV type vehicle. Ideally 2010 onwards, have a budget of around £12k.

I'll probably be doing around 11-12k miles per year. Petrol/Diesel, I'm not really sure what's the "go to" at the moment

So far I've only driven the Mitsubishi Outlander, which was very nice, but have test drives booked for the Jeep Compass and the KIA Sportage on Saturday.

Wondering if there's anything else out there that's worth a test drive or looking into...? Or if there are any owners that can throw in their 2 pennys!

Cheers,

Soldato
Your budget and age requirements are likely to restrict you quite a bit.

Never driven a compass but that generation of Jeep are terrible. The sportage is less rough and ready than it used to be but still a decent car, the Hyundai equivalent would be worth checking too.

Can't honestly think of anything else - CRV?

Tea Drinker
Don
Your budget and age requirements are likely to restrict you quite a bit.

No they're not I just sold my fathers 2.5t Titanium X 2010 Kuga for £9k 2010 45k Full Ford SH, bargain

In my experience in the last month or so

No one wants petrol
No one wants something without nav
No one wants to pay £500 rfl
No one wants a 2.5t full time 4wd which does 20 mpg

Take advantage

Soldato
For some reason I was getting the sportage mixed up with the Sorrento and other full size 4x4 types rather than the kuga/ix35/squashsquash type class it sits in

Soldato
I'm pretty happy with my Volvo XC70. Mines the top trim level (SE Lux) with a nice few options, late 2007 (so one of the earliest of the 2008 onwards versions) and was within your budget when I bought it last summer.

Soldato
I didn't like the Sportage. thought it was too plastic inside. Looks fantastic from the outside.

We bought a Nissan murano 2.5 Diesel.
Fully specced up.

Soldato
My parents rented a Kia Sportage last time they visited. It was a pretty tidy car but, as mattyg said, it's quite plastic inside.

My wife used to have a 2004 Nissan Murano. I never drove it but it was a good car for her. We traded it in for an Infiniti QX60 in August last year. The Infiniti is great, although I'm not sure how the pre-2014 ones stack up. We got a 2013 loaner and the interior looked older than the Murano.

Soldato
Honestly, in the SUV/Cross over sector, you really want to trawl the garages and go and look at them all..

Despite some looking broadly similar, it was amazing how different they are to sit in/drive etc..

We wanted a Zafira replacement (only needed 5 seats), so looked at:
Freelander 2 (My favourite before I drove one, you felt like you where sat on it, rather then in it)
Honda CRV (Dullest thing ever, but drove OK)
RAV4 (Noisiest diesel and very numb driving experience)
Audi Q3 (rubbish spec and poorer material finish)
BMW X3 (old ones are dire inside/out)
Mazda CX5 (Surprisingly good to drive, liked the interior, very quiet diesel, loads of kit, but only came out in 2012)
Nissan Quashqai (really didn't like anything, interior was poor, exterior really bland)
Kia Sportage (only the newer shape was passable, but felt very cheap inside)
Hyundai ix35 (cheap leather interior and so-so exterior)

For us, the CX5 leapt out as being nice to drive, not bad looking (for my tastes) and well spec'd, and reviews exceptionally well, but I could see how any of the above might be better for anyone else..

Associate
Not a car class I particularly like however I have driven quite a number of them, and as Demon says - the CX5 really stands out above the others in terms of kit and driving experience. When you get moving they are great, also come with far more standard kit than the others and the diesel engine is very free revving and doesn't feel too 'diesely'. I believe the two turbos make it far more progressive than most. Only issue is you will struggle to get one under £12k, they seem to start around the £14k mark at the moment - but they are 2012 on.

Associate
Some other options, with no real requirement there are loads

Suzuki Grand Vitara or SX4 SCross
Yeti
Juke/Qashqai
Pug 2008 or 3008
Ssangyong Korando (don't laugh a mate bought one and its a decent bit of kit for its budget price)
Dacia Duster
Vaux Antara or its sister car the Chevrolet Captiva LTZ (Captiva is a 2 ton 4WD compared to 2wd antara so drinks fuel, been no bother for us in the time we have had it though)

Back
Top Bottom