The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
I returned my Philips after a week of usage.

Main issues were:
I had the backlight down, insta-migraine. Hadn't had one for about 2 years previously.
Tried with backlight on 100% as this dodges the flicker but too bright.

Too glossy coming from the Dell 3007.

Other than that it worked very well. I definitely liked the extra coding space but the 30" still gives me enough.

Last edited:
Caporegime
i currently have 3 of these monitors but not because i bought 3

2 of them are warranty replacements but they were all delivered with marks laminated into the screen.

because philips have replaced it twice they wont do it a third time i just have to return all 3 and get refunded for the original purchase.

i really dont want to go back to my dell 3011 so is there any alternatives due to be released anytime soon?

Stu

I think their's a couple of 3rd partys coming out with monitors soon based off this screen but I'm unsure when! Maybe someone else can enlighten...

Soldato
I returned my Philips after a week of usage.

Main issues were:
I had the backlight down, insta-migraine. Hadn't had one for about 2 years previously.
Tried with backlight on 100% as this dodges the flicker but too bright.

Too glossy coming from the Dell 3007.

Other than that it worked very well. I definitely liked the extra coding space but the 30" still gives me enough.

As a migraine sufferer myself, I was worried about this, but not noticed any migraines, headaches or fatigue I could attribute to using this monitor. Thankfully.

Soldato
As a migraine sufferer myself, I was worried about this, but not noticed any migraines, headaches or fatigue I could attribute to using this monitor. Thankfully.

Same here. If a flourescent strip light goes at work, I am hyper-sensitive to it. But I have this monitor at less than 100% brightness and it's fine.

Associate
Another question for people who play in 21: 9 on the Philips. Has anyone an idea, how to force games that have an internal downsampling system such as Ryse to use custom resolutions? Due to the interenal scaling system (you can only adjust percentages), custom (21:9) resolutions simply do not appear. The same goes for the Shadow of Mordor, which also has such an internal downsampling system with percentage setting. Is it possible to overturn this somehow? Does anyone have an idea? Thank you :)

Soldato
Im curious... how is this monitor for 21:9?
40 inches is just far too big for me and I only really want an ultrawide monitor at the moment but they all have issues and for the price aren't worth it after I sent 4 LG's back because of bleeding issues.

Soldato
Another question for people who play in 21: 9 on the Philips. Has anyone an idea, how to force games that have an internal downsampling system such as Ryse to use custom resolutions? Due to the interenal scaling system (you can only adjust percentages), custom (21:9) resolutions simply do not appear. The same goes for the Shadow of Mordor, which also has such an internal downsampling system with percentage setting. Is it possible to overturn this somehow? Does anyone have an idea? Thank you :)

You would mention games I don't have, so can't test without buying :)

Maybe will see if can pick either up for under a tenner, and have a look see.

After reading all the threads in this post, SO glad I didnt put money down on one.

Philips really don't seem to care either, helpful!!

What do you mean?

Associate
Im curious... how is this monitor for 21:9?
40 inches is just far too big for me and I only really want an ultrawide monitor at the moment but they all have issues and for the price aren't worth it after I sent 4 LG's back because of bleeding issues.

In my opinion, the Philips is the best "21:9 Monitor" at all, altough it is actually a 16:9 one. No grap! And I have testet the 34 inch wqhd 21:9 screens from Dell and LG, curved and flat. This one has by far the best contrast (due to magnificent black level), beautiful colours, NO clouding, bleeding or banding at all. It has higher resolution than the 34 inch wqhd screens even in 21:9 (3840x1620), and is even bigger, in 21:9 about 38 inches. I use it as a 21:9 screen whenever possible. A truely stunning gaming experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, this thing is massive! :D

Just took delivery a little while ago, still getting used to it. I can definitely see why a curve would be nice on screens as large as this. I do like it flat though.

In case anyone is wondering, excel displays from column A to BG and row 1 to 95 when fullscreen and you can view 143 lines of code at once in Sublime Text :p

Downloaded a few true 4K vids and the quality is immense!

Time to load up a few games for the first time in about a year.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm so tempted!, but i'm going to be getting my Dell 3007 monitor back and will use that for browsing/movies/sp games and use my 144hz monitor for online gaming.

Soldato
Is this actually wider Horizontally than the 34 inch ultrawide screens?
My 34inch ultrawide was as wide as I could possibly fit on my desk so im curious how wide these are compared to them.

Soldato
After reading all the threads in this post, SO glad I didnt put money down on one.

Philips really don't seem to care either, helpful!!

For your professional uses it would have been good but not perfect, so yeah you saved money not buying one considering how picky you seem to be. Having said that for gaming and normal windows use (browsing/office work/ and some photo editing etc) it is absolutely awesome and I have no issues whatsoever.

I have read only a handful of people post negatively in this thread and only one or two that actually owned one had to return and that was due to the PWM. I know the monitor isn't perfect but for the price I didn't expect it to be considering it's size. 32" 4K professional monitors come it at £2000-£3000. Anyone who thought a 40" monitor would surpass or match them at a fraction of those prices were being incredibly naïve.

As someone who did professional graphics work for flight sim developers I have zero issues with colour accuracy on this monitor. If you are into photo editing and demand the absolute best accuracy then good luck getting it for less then ~ £2000-£3000.

Soldato
Is this actually wider Horizontally than the 34 inch ultrawide screens?
My 34inch ultrawide was as wide as I could possibly fit on my desk so im curious how wide these are compared to them.

They would be physically bigger, so if space is an issue then the Philips is not an option.

Soldato
Another 100 landed guys, only about 23 left in stock and selling like crazy!

Wow, you weren't kidding. :eek:

I literally checked 10 minutes before posting this and there were 4 available. By the time I finished posting to Combat Squirrel there was one left in stock. A quick F5 to refresh and it was gone.

Back
Top Bottom