• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What is Best CPU , AMD FX-8??? versus INTEL i5 i7 range. For Gaming. Comparison's

Associate
DragonQ: I'd say that perceived performance is the key, not actual performance. Customers will pay for what they think they are getting, regardless of if it's true or not. So if either company can give an impression of being better (normally achieved through the halo effect or other brand building exercises) then they can charge more for an equivalent part.

Edit: Made much more complex by the already well observed and commented differences in performance depending on specific workload etc, just a general observation that applies to most items.

Last edited:
Associate
God Humbug and Martini are real childish; I thought this forum would naturally attract those above 18?

As stated before, both Intel and AMD have their merits, AMD generally is better pound for pound for gaming if you're willing to invest the savings into a more powerful GPU. If you're doing more than gaming and working on the PC than I would suggest going the Intel route. Simple as that folks, simple as that.

Caporegime
God Humbug and Martini are real childish; I thought this forum would naturally attract those above 18?

As stated before, both Intel and AMD have their merits, AMD generally is better pound for pound for gaming if you're willing to invest the savings into a more powerful GPU. If you're doing more than gaming and working on the PC than I would suggest going the Intel route. Simple as that folks, simple as that.

Why is debating childish?

Caporegime
To be fair if Humbug had just admitted he was wrong when Martini had him check mate over his claim that there are a lot of PCI-E 3.0 AM3 motherboards available the argument would have ended about 10 posts earlier. The majority of the argument was just Martini trying to get Humbug to admit that he was wrong and Humbug looking silly by not doing so.

The reason why AMD don't have native PCI-E 3.0 on AM3 is rather obvious, the last northbridge chipset (which contains all of the PCI-E logic) they released was 990FX back in early 2011. Asus added a pseudo PCI-E 3.0 bridge chip on that one motherboard Martini mentioned (maybe one or two other brands as well?) and then quickly realised people weren't silly enough to pay £50 more for it. The board is impossible to buy now (EOL like Martini said) and I can't remember any others and certainly can't find any to buy today. Either way, it wasn't native PCI-E 3.0 because that would need a new chipset from AMD.

Last edited:
Associate
i went from fx6300 oced to 4.3 to an 4670k

In benchmarks and graphs,the oc'ed fx seems pretty similar to the I5.But in reality when gaming the I5 at stock smashes an oc'ed FX cpu.The amount of frames with massively high frametime variance(stutter/jankyness) with the FX cpu's is massively noticable.Graphs and benchs dont show this,but it does detract from your experience.Thats why i switched,my average/max fps didnt change too much,but mimnimum frame rates and general smootgh this was noticably better with the I5.For gaming IPC is king

The Fx cpus are pretty good as all round cpu's for the price they cost,its not that they are bad.Gaming is just one of those applications where the FX cpus just get smashed by Intel with the I5/I7's.

Associate
OP
End of the Thread

Any chance a moderator could please close my thread now. Its had plenty information and debates. i was looking at the i5 or the fx-8???.

i had a look at motherboards and decided that i am better getting the intel I5 and using existing dvd/rw barricuda drive and asus gt640 1gb gddr5 for now and build it up over time progressing to a better cpu i7 and a better graphics card. also a ssd.

so i thank you all for your info and somehwat heated debates. lol

i will now shop around on MB's and cases that allow for future cooling forr some serious overclocking of cpu and gpu.

thanks.

sammy.

Soldato
Runs far hotter than Intel alternatives

AMD CPUs might dissipate more heat,but they have huge dies and their max allowed temperatures are much lower.

The Intel chips actually run hotter and have higher max temperatures,but produce less heat.

Any chance a moderator could please close my thread now. Its had plenty information and debates. i was looking at the i5 or the fx-8???.

i had a look at motherboards and decided that i am better getting the intel I5 and using existing dvd/rw barricuda drive and asus gt640 1gb gddr5 for now and build it up over time progressing to a better cpu i7 and a better graphics card. also a ssd.

i will now shop around on MB's and cases that allow for future cooling forr some serious overclocking of cpu and gpu.

thanks.

sammy.

Unless buying secondhand ,don't go and buy a NEW Core i5 and then a NEW Core i7 afterwards - its just wasting money.

Save up some more and get the Core i7 or alternatively a Xeon E3 1230 V3(or one of the similar models) if not overclocking.

But TBF if you are overclocking a K series Core i5 should suffice for most games anyway.

Last edited:
Caporegime

thanks.

sammy.

I honestly don't agree with going for an i5, then progressing to an i7.
And sticking with a GT640 now? It's not a great GPU.

We need a total budget.

Soldato
If he's going for a GT640 he has no interest in playing games. :o

Bejewelled 3 maybe.

Yeah, it makes no sense to build a gaming PC (thread title) and throw all your budget at a CPU whilst sticking with a GT640. Unless it's very short-term.

For a better gaming experience whilst waiting for cash to upgrade, get a cheap dual core socket 1150 CPU and a decent GPU.

Or, frankly, go the AMD CPU route.

Associate
OP
Yeah, it makes no sense to build a gaming PC (thread title) and throw all your budget at a CPU whilst sticking with a GT640. Unless it's very short-term.

For a better gaming experience whilst waiting for cash to upgrade, get a cheap dual core socket 1150 CPU and a decent GPU.

Or, frankly, go the AMD CPU route.

short term. building main pc using existing gpu while i save up more for a good gpu. that is all. so that i can get started on build now.

Back
Top Bottom