• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Serious advice

Associate
Hello again good people, still tearing myself apart by what to get my grandson. Please, please do not turn this into a war i beg you. I wil get him the Matrix GTX 980 but he wants someting better. I am not going to spend 1k on him and I would rather stick with overclockers such great people. Now I noticed an XFX 295x2. Please your advice is sorely needed here. Thanking you in advance

Associate
yep; screen resolution; what's the system that's powering it.

Right now not much better than 980X.......most don't think its worth the price as its only 10% over the 290X...and hard to recommend 970 with its memory issue.

If its 1080p; then 970 still isn't a bad choice and 290X is cheaper about the same speed.

More details to help........:)

Soldato
Don't get a 295x2 for a clueless brat, there are many games that have issues when played on systems with more than one card. The 980 is the fastest card on the market in most scenarios, it should be enough..

Associate
OP
Thank you so much for your answers. His system is top of the line X99 with an Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00GHz (Haswell-E) and a brand new 4K monitor. Tried to get my son to buy a second GTX 980 but, his card is maxed out, he tells me, it also has got an RM 1200i psu. Plus if anyone notices this is not a repeat post I am seriously begging for you help, Thanks again

Soldato
Associate
For 4K I'd try and be patient, the current cards aren't great for 4K and new cards aren't far off which should in theory be better.

Edit:
Also if you'd like to adopt me as a grandson and buy me a 980 or 295X2 then that would be great.

Sui

Sui

Soldato
His son has a top of the line PC and his card is maxed out, the initial reaction is 'ugh' but I don't know all the facts!

If he's not happy with a 980, maybe he should have a book teaching him the value of things.

Associate
Strange story. Put your foot down with him. I think you've spent more than enough and the boy comes across as spoilt and ungrateful. Change that monitor to 1080p and it'll be more than fast enough. :p

Associate
Yeah the brand new 4k monitor was probably a bad idea because not much cards will really run it well with high settings apart from at least 2 8GB 290x cards or multiple Titans.

Other than that tell him he must "scrape by" with another Matrix Platinum 980 in SLI because there is no other option (apart from a couple of Titans) until the new NVIDIA cards come out with 6GB+ ram. Or downgrade the monitor :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
To clarify OP's situation base on his previous thread and this:

Grandson's system spec: Intel x99 platform with 5960X CPU with Corsair AX1200i PSU.

Grandson's gaming resolution: 4K

OP's position: Thinking of getting him a 980, but his grandson want better graphic grunt that than, so OP's hoping he could buy one 980, and his son will buy the 2nd 980. So he's asking for advice that if his plan of his son getting the 2nd 980 doesn't work out, which would be the alternative more powerful option over a single 980 that doesn't cost as much as two 980- which is why he's asking about 295x2 and for suggestion for other possible alternatives.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom