The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Associate
Update:
Well, it's arrived and I have to say, 4K @ 40" seems bl@@dy perfect, hopefully no more eyestrain and I can sell on the itsy bitsy 28" 4k TN Sammy (thanks for the correction PCM2)

Blacks look brilliantly black, whites look brilliantly white compared to the TN and the angles are way more forgiving.

Having had 2 curved 34" the past couple of weeks while I was deciding if I could live with IPS Glow and/or BLB (I couldn't), the vast screen of the Philips almost looks convex!

It's huge!

Much better motion than the Sammy in ArmA3 too and Elite D... well I knew space was big, but now it's even bigger :)

Going to try a few driving sims later on, but my guess is it won't beat my current 84" wrap-around screen in any way bar resolution, but I'll stick my TrackIR on and see anyway :)

Corners are a bit dimmer than the rest of the screen, no dead or bright pixels out of the box.

The stand is awful and the screen tilts back by a few degrees, so I've propped it up at the rear.

I need to get it closer to the desk though, that's for sure... so any stand recommendations?... just types/models, I'll source it myself to save breaking the forum etiquette.

Initial thoughts are very good, once I sort the stand I'll be happy (until they bring a curved version out OFC).

Associate
Put it on a wall/desk arm. I think that's what most people have done.

I used my existing Ergotron LX (wall version but desk clamp version also available). It's well made and can hold the weight no problem.

You'll need a "vesa adaptor plate" as the monitor is vesa 200 and most arms are vesa 100 but it should only cost a few quid.

Soldato
Sorry, My bad... have the flu currently... it's a TN panel, the U28D590D... shoot me.

It's hardly a shooting offence. Hope you get better soon. :) And it's great to hear you're enjoying the Philips, which I somehow still haven't got around to testing myself (other than glimpsing it at IFA last year).

Soldato
Update:
Well, it's arrived and I have to say, 4K @ 40" seems bl@@dy perfect, hopefully no more eyestrain and I can sell on the itsy bitsy 28" 4k TN Sammy (thanks for the correction PCM2)

Glad you're enjoying it - anyone sitting on the fence about buying this is clinically insane (or just needs to save up a bit ;).

I've had mine for a month now and it is still seriously lovely. :D

Associate
Glad you're enjoying it - anyone sitting on the fence about buying this is clinically insane (or just needs to save up a bit ;).

I've had mine for a month now and it is still seriously lovely. :D

Must admit I was hesitant to buy a Philips screen having repaired many a Philips TV back in the 70's and 80's and not really heard of them in the monitor space (in mass adoption space at least) at all since and considered them to be a cheap and nasty brand when I have seen their TVs in the stores and a little behind the curve.

I'm stunned by the fluidity @4K compared to my Sammy 4K and picture quality considering the pixel size increase and also how easy it was to setup how I like the picture, no sweat at all.

The bezel is one of the smallest I have seen and the stand aside, the quality of the thing is spot on. The bundled SmartControl software makes the setup even easier and I'll be able to calibrate for photography (amateur not pro level) and switch between my desktop/gaming profile and the photo one at the click of a mouse.

This one's a keeper that's for sure... still have not managed to setup on a racing sim... got stuck in to ED and got lost in space!

Onwards and upwards!

I agree, don't sit on the fence, enhance you PC experience as soon as you can (as long as you have a GFX card to power it - I have a GTX 980 SC and it's doing just fine on full res / high (not ultra) settings in Elite, dropping to 55fps inside starports and 180+ in deep space.

Associate
I had got off the fence on this, I was going to wait. Today I hopped back on it and fell over the other side and bloody bought one!
Tomorrow I shall see if my tears are of joy or bitterness.

Soldato
I think the vast majority are immensely happy with the screen, so hope you have the same experience.

Looking forward to some elite on mine tonight.

Or maybe some FPS action.

Just so long as it doesn't involve looking at code, I'm happy!

Let us know how you get on :)

Associate
I wish rainforest would hurry up .it says 1-2 months but a expected delivery date of 11th March 6th April . Some are saying they get it after 2 weeks as rain forest just order it in on request even though it says 1-2 months .will wait a month and if not got it i will bite bullet and get from here .

Associate
Plugged mine in today. This monitor is off the charts...

Amazing colours, crisp, massive expansive display, you get used to the size increase in no time. Moved up from a Dell 30inch (which now feels tiny, unbelievably). Had to turn brightness down by 10%, this is one bright monitor. Detail and sharpness are awesome, semi gloss is perfect.

Awesome monitor, highly recommended.

Last edited:
Associate
I wish rainforest would hurry up .it says 1-2 months but a expected delivery date of 11th March 6th April . Some are saying they get it after 2 weeks as rain forest just order it in on request even though it says 1-2 months .will wait a month and if not got it i will bite bullet and get from here .

I contacted them about returning mine (1 dead pixel that I can't see at all when gaming but I know its there) and the Rep said 6-8 weeks as stock is just not available due to demand outstripping supply.

I was gutted but he offered me £50 as a partial refund I refused and we settled on £100 and a free wall mount so I am pretty happy all told.

Now if I can shift this Hazro 27 it will be a pretty good week lol

Associate
I contacted them about returning mine (1 dead pixel that I can't see at all when gaming but I know its there) and the Rep said 6-8 weeks as stock is just not available due to demand outstripping supply.

I was gutted but he offered me £50 as a partial refund I refused and we settled on £100 and a free wall mount so I am pretty happy all told.

Now if I can shift this Hazro 27 it will be a pretty good week lol

But as he's a Rep dont you think hes going to say that if he knew you liked the monitor that much he will say there is a long waiting period just so you keep the monitor instead of them having the hasle of you returning and then putting someone elses order on back order to send you a replacement ? as you have priority becuase you already own it and paid for it .

Good job in getting £100 and a wall mount .

Soldato
^ Make sure you change the monitor settings to use Display Port 1.2 through the OSD using the joystick.

Once I did that I also had to change the Screen Resolution -> Advanced Settings to ammend the refresh rate.

Associate
I've set the display port to 1.2 and installed the drivers but still no 60Hz :(
Gfx here is Quadro 4000
I rebooted after setting to 1.2 as I couldn't get the 60hz recognized until I did (in some apps/games)...

EDIT: Can you get 2560x1440 @60Hz on the 4000? If you can and only 3840x2160 @30Hz... maybe a limit with DP 1.1 on the card.

Last edited:
Associate
I do recall rebooting, when I get the monitor home it might work better there, unfortunately that won't be until tomorrow (I need to clear my home desk!)
2560 isn't listed either :(

Back
Top Bottom