Road Cycling Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I'll be there Thomas. Although I'll be nowhere near you on the bike as I'll be one of the last out of the water, if I finish at all.

Ah cool, may see you on the return leg where the courses cross over. Its a great race, and a really nice course so I'm sure you'll do fine.

I'm doing the Staffordshire 70.3 team relay. Bike course is 2940ft which is meant to be one of the flattest courses.

That sounds like it should be pretty fast then. Hopefully good roads too.

Soldato
That's insane, look how close he was in this still!

11025955_419801791517977_2131680862267415134_n.jpg

Soldato
And to think of the speed he is going... I hope they get some statements together and get this reported to the police. I think this is one of the most shocking videos I've seen.

Soldato
That video, big no no. Surprised they didn't lynch him when they caught up.

Just under 1100km for me for Feb.

Raced OK at the weekend, handicap race which all the fast guys were handicapped well out of winning. We were caught by three from the scratch group 1km from the line but were way way behind the limit riders.

We broke from our original group into a bunch of 4 after 10km or so and stayed that way to the finish with everyone more or less sharing the workload which was nice, nobody sitting on and taking it easy. I had hoped to feel a bit stronger but ah well, racing is the best training I guess!

Going to struggle to get a century in this month, but going to have to force it somewhere. Managed three in Feb and it definitely helped, I still had some legs after racing, handicaps used to totally empty the tank.

Soldato
^Managed to sneak my February century in too on Saturday, didn't want to break my resolution on month 2. Properly unenjoyable ride after a fairly boozy dinner (by my standards) the night before. Slogged through anyway.

https://www.strava.com/activities/260996504

Only got out three times in February but have been on the track and turbo a fair bit in lieu of that. Hopefully I get more time to go out in March...

Associate
Wow my legs hurt today. Enjoyed lots of riding over the weekend. 35km Friday night, another 35km Saturday, 48km Sunday. I increased my weekly mileage by another 30km this week.
Weather all weekend was pretty good, the wind was a little strong at times. Yesterday was beautiful, I had to take off my waterproofs on the first climb, and wished I'd worn shorts. Got dropped on a Cat4 climb yesterday, and no chance of catching him up. Pretty unusual occurrence for me, has definitely spurred me on to improve :)

In other news, I've been using a Mio Fuse wristband heart rate monitor for a week now. I wanted a backup monitor for when the chest strap goes in the wash, to my surprise a replacement strap was about £40-50, so I wanted to look at alternatives. A wristband made sense as it wouldn't need to be washed. I also had problems with the chest strap occasionally slipping, especially on low intensity rides.
Overall I'm fairly pleased with the device. However, it took a few days to find a good & comfortable position on my wrist. I've also noticed a few 'spikes' with the HR reading (210bpm at one point!), which is disappointing, but the spikes have been far and few between.

Associate
Has anyone had any dealings/encounters with Enigma Bikes?

I'm heading down there soon to have a look at their titanium bikes, with the probable intention of picking up the Etape Disc.

http://www.enigmabikes.com/collections/versatility/products/complete-bike-etape-disc

Replacing my winter hack, with the idea I can take the mudguards off and have a nice summer tourer too.

Not dealt with them directly but all the feed back I've read and from other club mates / commuters I've spoken to has been excellent.

Soldato
See if I can get anywhere near fastest bike split.

Now there's a challenge! Got any idea of the time you'll have to push?

I'll be there Thomas. Although I'll be nowhere near you on the bike as I'll be one of the last out of the water, if I finish at all.

Draft him ;)

That's insane, look how close he was in this still!

11025955_419801791517977_2131680862267415134_n.jpg

And to think of the speed he is going... I hope they get some statements together and get this reported to the police. I think this is one of the most shocking videos I've seen.

Totally shocking, all it would take is a couple of them to report it to the police and push for a dangerous driving offence and he'd get a raft of points and a fine. If enough of them reported it as dangerous driving the driver would probably even get arrested. No room on our roads for idiots like that! They're dangerous enough already!

EDIT: Just seen the Facebook bit, totally report him and push for prosecution! The Police will be glad to throw the book at him - photo and video evidence of his lack of consideration for others on the roads!

Reading the Facebook side of it most of them don't seem bothered by pushing the Police, when they really should! If enough of them feel they were put in danger (and they really were) they need to convey that to the Police.

I know I was knocked off but the Police really did try and push me towards prosecuting the guy, I had to be quite firm with them that I was convinced it was a genuine mistake and I didn't want to take it further. I'm guess they needed that verbally from me.

Full on winter kit this morning, even snow!!

Come on weather!!! It's March now!

Tell me about it, torrential rain and horrific winds here @6am when I woke up so left the house at 7:15 in thermals and wet weather gear. Overheated a little but the rain had blown over. Not sure if I'm fatigued but the brutal headwind totally sapped any strength I had and I even had to drop into the small chainring for the last part of my commute. Ouch! :(

eh? my bits from garmin base bundle + the superstar mount fit together no problems and work perfectly fine? What are you having problems with?

The mount side of the connection is threaded the one side (I didn't think it was) but the thread is loads bigger than the Garmin screws meaning they get no bite at all! :eek:

20150302_075829.jpg

Picture isn't great, but I can freely slide the screw in and out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom