Convince me - tempted to buy gaming laptop

Associate
I have a gaming laptop, I hate it but it's useful when I'm away with business and I require my gaming fix.

This is the only reason to buy a gaming laptop (and my main reason to also be looking for one). Being stuck in a hotel room for weeks on end with only a poxy macbook is not fun (until Elite dangerous comes to the mac :))

Soldato
Laptops are no comparison to desktops. Only reason to have one is if you are away from home a lot and want to game (poorly).

You are paying a lot more for less with laptops.

Man of Honour
gaming and laptop should not appear in the same sentence. Hugely overpriced, you'll always need to run off mains when gaming, they get incredibly hot and performance is never that great.

I've got an £1500 Alienware in the spare room that collects dust...just dont waste your money on it. I just use it for work purposes now and my desktop for gaming. Only way to do it IMO

My Samsung 700G7C was pretty good at the time, runs cool, wasn't really over priced and at release the GPU was the equivalent of one down from the top desktop GPU. The CPU and RAM still holds its own against today's upper mid-range desktop hardware but GPU is more like 650ti/260/270 territory.

Soldato
Whilst a modern gaming laptop (IE 970/980m) might not match a desktop, it will still perform well, and for most peoples gaming needs it will be adequate. Only the hi res ultra 120hz OHHMAIIIIGAAAAD neckbeards will really care about the differences :)

But I suppose the neck bearded members of the PC master race can't help but look down from all the way up there on that pedestal! ;)

Soldato
Whilst a modern gaming laptop (IE 970/980m) might not match a desktop, it will still perform well, and for most peoples gaming needs it will be adequate. Only the hi res ultra 120hz OHHMAIIIIGAAAAD neckbeards will really care about the differences :)

But I suppose the neck bearded members of the PC master race can't help but look down from all the way up there on that pedestal! ;)

Unless you really need a laptop why pay far more than you need to for adequate.

Also do people really use the word neckbeards? I guess it's the cool thing to say these days.

Soldato

144Hz and no beard here. ;)

You do look small down there tho.. :D

@OP A laptop is a very expensive and uncomfortable way to get mediocre gaming performance. You may even find that for the price of a decent gaming laptop you can get a cheap laptop and a mid range gaming rig which is more powerful than the gaming laptop.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Reason for laptop is mainly preference, I have a desktop (not a gaming one) but it gathers dust, my laptop however gets frequent use. If it's capable of playing modern games to a decent standard then that's a bonus.

Associate
I have a Y50 UHD and whilst it is a good laptop and is quite capable for what it is, I am really missing my desktop hence I'm going to build another rig soon.

ps. The UHD has a pretty bad issue with displaying yellow - it turns out to be a mustard yellow instead. Avoid it if you want colour accuracy.

Soldato
Unless you really need a laptop why pay far more than you need to for adequate.

Also do people really use the word neckbeards? I guess it's the cool thing to say these days.

It is about choice and preference and needs. Desktop units, although better, may not suit everyone's needs or ideas on how they prefer gaming. I could do with a laptop because there is no room to move my desktop setup downstairs. I currently don't need a laptop myself but my setup takes up half of the spare room. It would be nice to have one though as it means I can spend time gaming downstairs when the wife is home, it means when I work away I can game and it means I can turn the spare bedroom back into a bedroom.

So simply saying PC > all, why bother having a laptop is missing the point.

I was being tongue in cheek with the neckbeards :p But yes it is a word and yes it tends to describe the elitist PC master race better than most other words ;)

Soldato
It is about choice and preference and needs. Desktop units, although better, may not suit everyone's needs or ideas on how they prefer gaming. I could do with a laptop because there is no room to move my desktop setup downstairs. I currently don't need a laptop myself but my setup takes up half of the spare room. It would be nice to have one though as it means I can spend time gaming downstairs when the wife is home, it means when I work away I can game and it means I can turn the spare bedroom back into a bedroom.

So simply saying PC > all, why bother having a laptop is missing the point.

I was being tongue in cheek with the neckbeards :p But yes it is a word and yes it tends to describe the elitist PC master race better than most other words ;)

I'm going have to get growing my patchy face fluff then. These neckbeard folk sound far superior to most.

I like them already.

Associate
To be honest this is the wrong place to ask this question. It's like going on a photography forum and asking them to convince you to use an iPhone for taking pictures. Regardless of your requirements the response will be negative.

What exactly do you want to do? What games do you want to play? My Dell handles CS:GO, SC2, Fallout NV, TF2 and a bunch of other games well enough for my needs. It does get hot so i bought a lapboard which is really good as it has a slide-out surface for the mouse.

If you're not fussed about running games at high settings and you won't be using it primarily for gaming then i would certainly say a laptop is capable of doing what you want.

Associate
I myself go to LAN's and do a lot of house sitting. So I got myself a Medion Erazer via Outlet. sure its pretty big but it packs an i7 and nvidia geforce 680M. Its got plenty of cooling but I expect in a year or so (I've had it almost a year) I'll need to open it up, clean it out and re-apply some thermal paste. Its still a lot easier than lugging around a 22" screen and tower unit. I've run a variety of old and new games and its been impressive. I am looking after it as much as I can. It maybe German but I still fear for the hinges.

Its a 15.6" with 1080p screen. I didn't want another 17" after lugging one around Europe. My last 15" dell studio killed so many fans and didnt even have much power. The new generation of gaming laptops are far better than the old ones. But the development they've done comes at a huge price. I find its the same with the gaming Brix. I'd love to just take one of those around and plug it into peoples TV's but I'd still be buggered for LAN's. One company is actually putting desktop CPU's inside laptops.....

Are you going to be playing multiplayer online or just single player offline? if its just single player dont bother with a laptop. soon you'll be streaming everything anyway so powerful laptops will be for the working people and hardcore online gamers who dont want the 100ms delay.

Associate
All depends on circumstance. I went to a laptop from a desktop as i was getting too much grief from the mrs from spending all my time on my PC upstairs. It cost £1100 total, with ssd, i7, 770 or 780, shed loads of ram, 17.3" 1080p screen (I'm at work can't remember full specs). Runs everything I play flawlessly, including shadow of mordor (the last game of that type i bought).

I don't plan to play on the move, I carry it from upstairs to the dining room and back again. My desktop was great before my son was born, his bedroom was the study - had perfect surround sound set up, massive desk, loads of space - perfect for gaming. Then when i had to move it out it was shoehorned into a corner and it lost the comfort and convenience. If i had the space I'm make myself a den and use a desktop, as it is I'm more than pleased with my laptop and it means i can continue my hobby with a bit less grief.Win win.

Soldato
All depends on circumstance. I went to a laptop from a desktop as i was getting too much grief from the mrs from spending all my time on my PC upstairs. It cost £1100 total, with ssd, i7, 770 or 780, shed loads of ram, 17.3" 1080p screen (I'm at work can't remember full specs). Runs everything I play flawlessly, including shadow of mordor (the last game of that type i bought).

I don't plan to play on the move, I carry it from upstairs to the dining room and back again. My desktop was great before my son was born, his bedroom was the study - had perfect surround sound set up, massive desk, loads of space - perfect for gaming. Then when i had to move it out it was shoehorned into a corner and it lost the comfort and convenience. If i had the space I'm make myself a den and use a desktop, as it is I'm more than pleased with my laptop and it means i can continue my hobby with a bit less grief.Win win.

Which is a perfectly fair comment, well said. :)

You've justified *why* a laptop is more suited to your requirements than a desktop, and in my opinion that's fine and you're happy with it.

The OP's post sounded quite frivolous and he could easily end up spending lots on the wrong kind of machine - I know people do sound a bit 'master-racey' when advising a PC purchase, but it is the better bet for *most* gaming needs.

Personally, I have a decent PC at home, and a now pretty ageing 16" 1st gen i7 Toshiba with a GT330M GPU, which is really starting to show its' age, but I use that for LANning with friends or when I'm away for a few days. At some point I will have to replace it, but it doesn't get enough use to really justify it - I'll just play older stuff when I'm away. :p

Why not get something like this rather than a reconditioned laptop?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-125-MS&groupid=959&catid=1828

Yes I'm aware it's the 870M GPU and it's slightly older generation, but the 9xx series ones command a higher price point and the rest of the spec is pretty nice.

Caporegime
Bought an ASUS G751 with 980m and would never go back to a desktop now. It's so convenient to be able to take it on trips with me, or to a mates for an impromptu LAN session, and the 3-4 hour battery life is fine for browsing and productivity away from the mains.

Desktops may be faster, but they're basically stuck in one place, and that for me is a complete no-no.

It's all down to your individual requirements and what works for you... there is no right or wrong despite what some would have you think.

Back
Top Bottom