Unreal Tournament news on the horizon!

Associate
Just played a few rounds offline, like what I'm seeing so far even if most maps dont have textures yet. Movement & aim felt pretty good once I'd tweaked my mouse sens down a bit, & turned off view bob, dont think theres that horrible in game acceleration that put me off the last ut.

Associate
I used to play a LOT of UT99. nwctf, ictf, spam. but since clanbase died its a few pug channels that are almost dead. so I'm hoping UT4 will be the next main game i play. I did try 2004 and played ictf with friends. I played 1 game of UT3 and gamespy booted us out after 10mins so that went in the "never playing again pile". The Pre-alpha is pretty good I think. Server wise its a dog to setup a server (mostly as it was done via 3rd party) but the game itself has moved a long very quickly. I've not tried the wall sliding bits yet. But when I've been playing iDM i've seen a lot of bunny hoppers. I'm glad its community driven. I just hope it doesn't end up going in 100 different directions at once. and the best part is the freeness of it all!

Associate
Really enjoying this , gotta say it's taking me back a fair few years . Not tryed any of the more tactical bunny bouncy approaches .it seems very well modernised whilst providing all the right nostalgia I expected even at such an earlie stage . A few things I'm noticing is that the levels such as deck 16 are feeling abit more cramped or small . skill base seems vastly improved , or I have gotten far slower . I enjoyed the custom maps most of all ... So gonna be a fair load of bedroom and bathroom maps for me to buy I hipe

Associate
Had my 1st online matches tonight, a few insta ctf & dm, good fun, really enjoyed it, expected to get my backside handed to me but didnt do too bad, averaged about 5th on 20 man dm, stat fps command showed constantly over 70 fps even on a 20 player server with that promo map they showed, so pretty good performance for this stage of development.

A few things I hope they will sort out:

A way to join a game from spectator mode in the menu.

Spawn protection ( there was a lot of spawn camping from one of the "top" players )

I would like the servers to not refresh from scratch every time you go back to the menu.
Also would like a manual refresh button in browser to go with above suggestion.

It would possibly be better also if it was clearer where to go for the proper server list in the menu (its the 2nd button on top left if anyone doesnt know) as I'm not keen on the lobby menu ( joined a lobby with 33 ping, it put me in a game with 200+ ping)

There were a couple of other things but I've forgotten now. As I said though its very good for this stage of development.

Associate
Downloading this to give it a shot now, how I used to play these games on 56k I do not know :D

Can you make games with friends? My screen name is Mada

Last edited:
Soldato
Lucid flashbacks of moving towards a lift, saying why the hell the lift taking so long to go up then turning round and turning into a pile of giblets, or was that just my own lost youth speaking out ?

Associate
Is it just my imagination or is nearly everyone one shotting the last few days?, I've gone from my usual 2:1 k:d to 1:1 or 1:2 insta or nw, even on nw with 150 health & armour i'm getting one shot all the time, idk if some cheats have turned up or something changed with the patch the other day, if it was patch then I should be finding it easier to kill too I would have thought.

Associate
Lost track of this game for a while. Was a huge UT99 player for most of my early gaming life. Tried 2K3 and 2K4 and never quite found the same love for them as I had for UT99. With UT4 I really hope it comes back to the UT99 feel.

For me personally its always been about CTF. How they handle the translocator in the game will be a big factor for me. Have they made any decisions yet in regards to the good ol tele?

Permabanned
I downloaded this and it couldn't even find a server.

As for UT99...It'll never be as good. UT99 had Wireplay forums to flame on :D
Sad the forum archives are gone for good ;(
Doubt the ts will be in it. People will cry that they can't hit anyone.

Associate
Is it just my imagination or is nearly everyone one shotting the last few days?, I've gone from my usual 2:1 k:d to 1:1 or 1:2 insta or nw, even on nw with 150 health & armour i'm getting one shot all the time, idk if some cheats have turned up or something changed with the patch the other day, if it was patch then I should be finding it easier to kill too I would have thought.

The weapons are powerful, but then they were in UT1 as well. If all you're playing is FFA, it can be a bit of a spamfest right now, particularly as some of the servers are allowing player counts way above what many of the maps can really support.

I've played a lot so far and haven't run into any cheating.

Associate
For me personally its always been about CTF. How they handle the translocator in the game will be a big factor for me. Have they made any decisions yet in regards to the good ol tele?

Doubt the ts will be in it. People will cry that they can't hit anyone.

Translocator is in. I'm not a big fan of NW CTF so haven't tried it, but there should be plenty of videos of it on youtube. Or just download the game :D

I downloaded this and it couldn't even find a server.

Weird, there are plenty of them :( If you want to just get a bit of a feel for the game/run around the maps, you can try offline mode against bots.

Back
Top Bottom