BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
Hi guys.

As this is the first Freesync monitor to be released and a direct competitor to the Asus G-Sync ROG Swift both sporting 1440p at 144hz, I believe it deserves its own thread.

It would be a great idea to share user experiences and picture settings to get the most out of this monitor.

As we know Freesync is due to be let loose in the next AMD driver update on the 19th March 2015 which was a bit disappointing to hear but hopefully it will be running flawless from the get go.

So far I have been very impressed with the monitor and more so with the colours considering I have come from a IPS monitor.

I will post my settings soon and will upload some pictures.

There does not seem to be any reviews currently released which is most likely held back because of the lack of Freesync at the moment but I will be sure to post them here.

Link to the monitor: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-113-BQ&groupid=17&catid=948

***144hz Screen flicker temporary fix***

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I wish my desk would fit the stand as it is lovely, for now I have it on one of my monitor arms.

I have had a play with the settings and finding some good results but I am rubbish at calibrating monitors so more than likely this could be much better.

The picture is very good, don't get me wrong it is no 1440p IPS picture but it is not far off it, with lovely 144hz (Well 120hz atm)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
At the moment I'm using the standard picture setting with gamma set to 5 and blur reduction enabled. This probably isn't anywhere near calibrated for good colour reproduction but it looks alright to me.

Standard user with gamma 5 looks nice.

I dont have a CD drive, is the drivers on the CD for the USB ports?

Picture of the screen now https://i.imgur.com/Qi7ApGV.jpg

The only way to currently fix the 144hz flicker is with ToasterX

Last edited:
Associate
Hi I don't have one yet but needs must and wondered what its like for gaming, and is anyone using a single R290X to drive this, just wondered what the frame rate would be like ?

Associate
OP
Hi I don't have one yet but needs must and wondered what its like for gaming, and is anyone using a single R290X to drive this, just wondered what the frame rate would be like ?

Depends on which games. I am rocking a single 290 and my frames are perfectly fine.

Soldato
If I was too get one of these monitors and as I assume my Gigabyte GV-R797TO-3GD isn't really capable of running freesync fully what gfx card would anyone suggest? I'm thinking a budget of up to around £500. Also, as I have a Dell U2913WM monitor, would I notice much of a difference moving away from IPS to TN?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The really difference will be moving to 1440p and 120-144hz.

I am not sure how much of a difference you will see going to 1440p from the Dell, there is will be difference but how much I am not sure but you will for sure see a difference with the 60hz to 144hz.

TBH coming from the Dell to this you may be underwhelmed by the picture quality as high res ISP looks better compared to high res TN because you are spending £500 but the TN still looks very good. The real advantage for you will be the extra res and double the hertz and freesync if you have a compatible GPU.

Your GPU does not support gaming with freesync but it support video play back with freesync. http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/219

Man of Honour
Fantastic picture quality on this now that I have dialled in the settings. Huge upgrade from my dell2408. AMD just need to sort out their drivers so that dying light doesn't flicker at 1440p on my 295x2 and 144hz on the desktop.

Associate
OP
Fantastic picture quality on this now that I have dialled in the settings. Huge upgrade from my dell2408. AMD just need to sort out their drivers so that dying light doesn't flicker at 1440p on my 295x2 and 144hz on the desktop.

Can you share your settings please.

Soldato
The really difference will be moving to 1440p and 120-144hz.

I am not sure how much of a difference you will see going to 1440p from the Dell, there is will be difference but how much I am not sure but you will for sure see a difference with the 60hz to 144hz.

TBH coming from the Dell to this you may be underwhelmed by the picture quality as high res ISP looks better compared to high res TN because you are spending £500 but the TN still looks very good. The real advantage for you will be the extra res and double the hertz and freesync if you have a compatible GPU.

Your GPU does not support gaming with freesync but it support video play back with freesync. http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/219

Thanks for your answer, I may well wait until the summer then I think I might have the choice of ips freesync monitors and purchase one of the new r9 300's to go with it...

Man of Honour
who built the panel?

I believe they are au optronics (part of the BenQ group). Either M270Q002 or a slightly newer revision.

(If the information I have is correct then unlike other 120/144Hz panels which basically worked off an existing TN design these started life as a spin off from AHVA development and started life closer to a HFFS design - the resulting panel however as used here is still very much a TN).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom