Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Associate
Is there any useful information on this regarding 24x7 usage? Would be great in a Plex box...

No official data apart from what ive found based on early adopters usage. They say they are fine for 24/7, as long as you do large writes/reads, as they seem to be slower than normal hdd's based on random seek/write times. A few have commented that the speed seems to be reduced greatly in hot environments. Again nothing backed up with evidence so take lightly.

People report around a good 150 write speed. I am hoping to Raid 0 two up as a recording drive for 21:9 game captures at 60fps with 5.1 sound for editing later. If I find any real statistics I will link them over as I am still debating if they will truly suit my needs, or if I should invest in smaller, but proven faster drives for raid.

Associate
Wow 3-4 Weeks!? What is going on with these? I just dived on it and willing to pay extra to acquire it earlier. I also realised the craziness of my 2x 8TB Raid 0 for recording. So instead grabbed me 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB with the Seagate Archive Nearline 8.0TB being what it was designed to be, archiving.

In all honesty once I do some testing and benchmarks I might be tempted to purchase a few more. Will upload data here to help others once it arrives.
I love diving into the deep end with new, unproven technology. The fun and games that might accrue :(

Associate
This is whats stated from the date sheet so looking at it then maybe but with less performance.

Captureb70f8.png

Taken from here

Stu

Stu

Soldato
The only problem is that you have to buy at least 2 and RAID them, otherwise how much data are you going to lose if it dies?

Why does this question come up all the time, and why do people assume to know what the plans of others are? I'm getting one of these to use as a backup drive in my microserver, and don't feel the need for a second drive to backup my backup (let's ignore the fact that RAID1 is not a backup solution).

Associate
Nice review at Storage Review, which also highlights that these drives are NOT suitable for RAID redundancy setups, including RAID1.

Crikey....if that lots true, this is going to to nuclear.

I can't imagine many people NOT buying these for a RAID/NAS/ZFS setup!

If those test results turn out to be correct, I'll be returning mine as not fit for purpose and suing the retailer in small claims if I get any bs.

If true, how utterly disappointing.

In a simple RAID1 group of two drives, the Archive took over 57 hours to rebuild while the NAS was idle. An 8TB PMR drive took a bit under 20 hours.

57 hours for a straight RAID1 2 drive rebuild!!!!!? :confused:
I think they've made a collection of mistakes or got a bad drive personally.

EDIT - Actually reading their forum discussing this, sounds like they know what they're talking about...

Oh dear.

Last edited:
Associate
Crikey....if that lots true, this is going to to nuclear.

I can't imagine many people NOT buying these for a RAID/NAS/ZFS setup!

These are perfect for me, I will be buying 2. 1 will go in my NAS, the other as an offline backup. I don't use raid or a fancy filesystem, just standalone drives and Windows share.

Storing 1:1 Blu-ray rips

Associate
As promised here are my benchmarks using HD Tune Pro

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bqn5f9a5n8gaqoo/09-March-2015_00-08.png?dl=0

&

https://www.dropbox.com/s/np56b4l9k6v32bv/09-March-2015_00-12.png?dl=0

Speed wise they ain't that bad, though they do seem to spike as I just filled the full 8tb moving around my other drives to re partition them. Sometimes it just bottoms during transfer almost making it look like the transfer crashed.

I got another one arriving tomorrow from another supplier to remove a older 2tb so will be interesting to compare the two if they have the same issues.

Back
Top Bottom