Orlando Florida

Soldato
Hey all, I know it isn't until next year (March 5th-19th), but we are going to Orlando Florida for 2 weeks and just wondered if anyone can recommend things we should do. Preferably would like to do a week of theme parks / water parks, then just chill out for a week. It just seems like there are so many parks and options available that I don't know what tickets to buy. We are in a villa which is 5/10 minutes away from most parks and around 15 from international drive. Would definitely like to go to the Harry Potter world as both big fans, but if anyone can share any input would be most appreciated.

Associate
As said, so much to do it's not really a chill out kinda place. Having said that, there a plenty of beaches just a short drive away. Miami is nice, but a bit rough. Still recommend it though.

I am going this May (4th time) and we are doing Tampa/Busch Gardens for the first time. We stay on I-Drive as it caters to all things you want on an evening. Food, Bars, Entertainment, etc.

Obviously you should do Disney. You said you are already doing Universal. Best thing for us are the waterparks. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon at Disney are great fun. Aquatica waterpark (Seaworld) is brilliant. We're not a massive fan of seaworld itself though.

We went to Key Largo a few years ago to swim with dolphins. It cost around £150 each for the transport, 1 night hotel, swim (1 hour in a river just down from the sea) and a stop in Miami on the way home. Much better value than swimming with them at Discovery Cove which is around the same price for a 10 minute swim. But that depends if you wanna do that. Key Largo was beautiful.

Have fun.

For tickets, the best prices we usually see are;

Disney - £255 (14 days for price of 7)
3 Park ticket - Busch Gardens/Seaworld/Aquatica - £92 (14 days)
Universal we paid for on the day and was around $60

Last edited:
Associate
When we went for the 3rd time we did 1 week in Orlando and 1 week at clear water to chill out. Recommend this, both in a villa.

Associate
I went to the epcot centre which was amazing, universal studios and sea world were also brilliant. I wasn't a massive fan of the Disney theme park.

Epcot is Disney. I found that to be the most boring, alright to walk around but nothing that exciting. The fireworks there were good.

Magic Kingdom is ok if you haven't done it before, but Paris is way better.
Animal Kingdom is pretty good, probably the best rides.
Hollywood Studios has a few good rides.

All about the waterparks with Disney.

Man of Honour
The highlight for me was the Kennedy Space Centre which was excellent. The girlfriend really enjoyed Discovery Cove which whilst pricey was fairly unique, its basically an aquarium you swim around in.

Soldato
Busch Gardens is worth the trip if you can be bothered, it has some great coasters.
Be prepared to queue for a loooong time at Harry Potter World.
Agree that Sea World is meh. Although Aquatica is also the 3rd best water park IMO.
Have breakfast at Denny's or somewhere like that. They're huge and really cheap and you'll do a lot of walking.
Remember where you parked.
A lot of prices don't include tax.

Cramming everything into a week will be quite tiring. Unless you've got little kids then Magical Kingdom isn't worth more than an hour or two of your time.

There's also a pretty cool arcade if you're into that at Downtown Disney.

In terms of tickets, have a watch on HUKD, some really outstanding deals on ticket prices at the minute.
http://www.hotukdeals.com/travel/deals/hot

Soldato
Epcot is Disney. I found that to be the most boring, alright to walk around but nothing that exciting. The fireworks there were good.

Magic Kingdom is ok if you haven't done it before, but Paris is way better.
Animal Kingdom is pretty good, probably the best rides.
Hollywood Studios has a few good rides.

All about the waterparks with Disney.

Sorry, meant the main Disney park I wasn't a big fan of, the one with space mountain.

I loved epcot, may have changed since I went there though, but was all Sci-fi geeky and nerdy stuff.

Soldato
Epcot has great novelty value but other than that it's pretty awful.
Very dated now and Soarin' is the biggest waste of time I experienced in Florida.

Soldato
I'm more of a fan of Busch Gardens (down the road from me) and Sea World, was at Sea World last week but you can't spend an entire day there. Universal really needs two days to do both parks (islands of adventure is part of it, harry potter land/world thing is split between both of them).

Animal Kingdom is good fun, MGM has a few rides, Epcot as above is very sciency.

Downtown Disney if you want to go somewhere for free. Also Old Town which is in Orlando can be great, it has some rides and lots of shops that are based on old America, they have old car shows there every weekend, good atmosphere.

Soldato
Park wise I'd do Universal, Islands of Adventure, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Seaworld if you're into animals, there's 2 very good coasters at Seaworld, the Kraken is probably my favourite coaster out of all of the Orlando parks. If you're into coasters, head to Busch Gardens for a day.

Associate
I'm more of a fan of Busch Gardens (down the road from me)

Sorry to hijack the thread, but it might also help the OP :D

acemastr, Im looking for a hotel in Tampa at the moment. We are going to Busch for a day, maybe 2 but looking to stay in Tampa for 2 nights.

What's the best area to stay in? Would like to be near or a short way from Cigar City Brewing (main reason for me visiting Tampa)

Cheers

Soldato
When I went to Orlando I loved it appart from getting a stonking cold. I was playing golf at the time as well. Not a massive fan of the parks and particularly hated Epcot. You will certainly put some weight on as its a great place for food and I found people were very friendly unlike the west coast.

Associate
We went for the 2nd time last year and the best thing for me was Manta at Sea World, that ride was awesome. If the park is quiet then you can ride, run back round and get on again. I went on it 4 times in a row :D

Mute the sound though as the people in the vid are annoying as hell.

Back
Top Bottom