Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Associate
These are perfect for me, I will be buying 2. 1 will go in my NAS, the other as an offline backup. I don't use raid or a fancy filesystem, just standalone drives and Windows share.

Storing 1:1 Blu-ray rips

All well and good but it's not really about "you".
That article basically states these are next to useless for anything other than storage of large files that won't be modified and that's about it.
(low write, high read scenarios)
No NAS, which by defenition implies RAID/ZFS.
No Database
...Great, a 6 month delay for?
Not best pleased with Seagate especially after having already ordered an 8 bay nas enclosure.
Of course only have myself to blame as after actually researching this in more depth instead of taking the Seagate blurb data sheet as any indication of performance it's painfully obvious.
Oh well....more cost or more wait are the current option for people who have actually been waiting for consumer 8TB drives it seems.

Last edited:
Associate
That article basically states these are next to useless for anything other than storage of large files that won't be modified and that's about it.
No Database
Not best pleased with Seagate especially after having already ordered an 8 bay nas enclosure.
Of course only have myself to blame as after actually researching this in more depth instead of taking the Seagate blurb data sheet as any indication of performance it's painfully obvious.
Oh well....more cost or more wait are the current option for people who have actually been waiting for consumer 8TB drives it seems.

My post was in reply to your comment about not imagining people buying these drives in the scenario you given.

So it's not all about 'you' either.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
No Database

I'm rather surprised by your response! The clue is in the title... Seagate Archive HDD. Where have Seagate said that these drives are suitable for a RAID environment; so how is it not fit for purpose? You need to research Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) technology before buying.

archive
Definition of archive in English:
noun
A complete record of the data in part or all of a computer system, stored on an infrequently used medium.

verb
Computing Transfer (data) to a less frequently used storage medium such as magnetic tape

Caporegime
No Database

The issue seems to be that you've misunderstood what these drives are for. It was obvious and clear what they were for from the start, unfortunately some people thought they were getting a stunning bargain rather than a tool for a specific job.

Soldato
I could do with one of these for all my backups that I'm scared to delete.

Can just lock it in a safe with a date on and have done with it.

Associate
The issue seems to be that you've misunderstood what these drives are for. It was obvious and clear what they were for from the start, unfortunately some people thought they were getting a stunning bargain rather than a tool for a specific job.

Can't disagree with you there.
There is some discussion from people on the unRAID forum that the StorageReview review may be flawed.

At least one person has quoted figures much higher recreating parity using 8TB Seagates with around 100MB/s being quoted...

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36749.240

February 15, 2015, 04:03:50 AM
Estimated speed: 44 MB/sec

February 15, 2015, 05:02:28 PM
Total size: 8 TB
Current position: 2.03 TB (25%)
Estimated speed: 108.29 MB/sec
Estimated finish: 919 minutes

February 16, 2015, 02:20:58 AM
Current position: 5.81 TB (73%)
Estimated speed: 140.39 MB/sec
Estimated finish: 260 minutes

February 16, 2015, 07:47:08 AM
Current position: 7.95 TB (99%)
Estimated speed: 95.84 MB/sec
Estimated finish: 9 minutes

I'm guessing that the StorageReview times may have wrongly included the initialization time of the drive - as in it didn't have a zeroed file system to begin with, and thus ANY drive would give very low numbers if the drive was used from fresh.

Soldato
Can anyone predict how one of these might fair in a Drive Pool setup?

Could it be set up in such a way that the drive is never written to in the first instance but only 'balanced' to during inactive times?

Soldato
Can anyone predict how one of these might fair in a Drive Pool setup?

Could it be set up in such a way that the drive is never written to in the first instance but only 'balanced' to during inactive times?

Nothing to do with THESE drives per se... this is a general drive question... You might try a thread for this question or ask on a subject specific forum?

Associate
Nothing to do with THESE drives per se... this is a general drive question... You might try a thread for this question or ask on a subject specific forum?

Actually....it's everything to do with these drives, or SMR drives in general, of which this is the only one consumers are interested in and thus the only drive a question like that is 100% relevant to.

Soldato
8TB Seagate Archive

Are these decent? I want a big drive as a backup to my 8TB NAS (4*2TB). It'll mainly store media which will be streamed via my network. The price seems ok but I've seen a few negative reviews.

Associate
Are these decent? I want a big drive as a backup to my 8TB NAS (4*2TB). It'll mainly store media which will be streamed via my network. The price seems ok but I've seen a few negative reviews.

Only pro review around is the one from "StorageReview".
Most people discussing it in a negative light don't own it and are talking poop basing their opinion on hear-say and speculation.
:)
That's not saying it's a good though.
It certainly does have some quirks, unexplained drops in speed and so forth, as it says, it's for backup/archive, no way in hell would this be used for an OS drive obviously.

The "StorageReview" review isn't a fair test though as they are testing it under conditions that it wouldn't be used for (heavy live rebuild for example) - ridiculous for an SMR drive.

Rebuilds are actually completed at a reasonable speed but scrubs are not.

Soldato
I've been thinking about using one of these for the bulk of my media storage with plex server running on a separate drive.

I know these archive drives aren't really suited to a RAID environment, but with any important media already backed up, I'm wondering if redundancy is a luxury I don't really need.

Soldato
I've been thinking about using one of these for the bulk of my media storage with plex server running on a separate drive.

I know these archive drives aren't really suited to a RAID environment, but with any important media already backed up, I'm wondering if redundancy is a luxury I don't really need.

I've heard on a Tek Syndicate video that raid on these high density drives is bad idea due to high risk of data corruption and we should instead look to run drives like this in zfs instead to preserve data integrity..

Back
Top Bottom