Newish Octavia & the 1.6 tdi...

Soldato
I've got my first "new" Octavia this week, which I was quite pleased about as I've not driven one yet.

Overall I quite like the car, they still feel like a good sized car with a very useful boot and what I imagine to be perfectly acceptable rear legroom for most with a young family. Style wise I quite like it too

Interior is ok, even on what I assume is quite a low level model (crap diesel, no cruise etc) it's got decent infotainment type stuff and seems to have the maxi dot display, can only assume this is now standard? The actual trim is mainly ok but the steering wheel looks and feels incredibly cheap. Annoyingly this has no arm rest either

Actual fit and finish inside is a world away from my Civic, which on one hand I'd expect given my car has its roots in 2005 but is also a bit disappointing from a Honda point of view as it just reminds me how much of a better attempt can be made with little real effort or I assume cost given the Skoda price point - particularly thinking about the 9th Gen civic which imo is not much better than my own.

It lets itself down a bit in the handling department, whilst being reasonably tidy in most situations it's quite softly sprung so wallows about a bit, something I don't remember finding with the last model. I can only assume the vrs resolves this. The steering is also fairly terrible, the usual new car level of (over) assistance and lightness. This one has a 5 speed box, which I find a bit odd on such a new car and it feels like it could do with another ratio.

Last but not least the engine. My favourite ever diesel, the vag 1.6 tdi. They've given it a bit more power I think but still how can anyone find this engine acceptable? It's got absolutely nothing to give anywhere in the rev range, even less low down than most tdi's and is just generally completely gutless even for its indicated output. It's a bit laggy and I can just never find an acceptable rev range to try and aim for in any situation. The psa units of equivalent output are still much, much better than this even though they've had a while to try and sort it out now. Given that the same unit is used throughout the vag range I can't understand how they think it's an acceptable unit to use in the likes of an A3, where even the entry level 1 series unit is a significant improvement.

It's also gruff and annoying on the move - It was quite noticable even when just rumbling along the M3's section of 50 limits which I find totally unnaceptable given how new the model is. I know it's easy to criticise and not the same having a car for a few days compared with actually owning it - but i still cannot understand why anyone would want this engine

Soldato
I know what you mean with the gruff noise at a constant speed. I've had a few new diesel hire cars of late and there's always an annoying "GERRRRRRR" background din which is such an annoying trait. The Mitsubishi ASX I had recently was the worst. It's supposed to be a quiet, comfortable, spacious SUV thing but it was very noisy at speed.

Soldato
I'd be quiet interested to drive something with the VAG 1.6 tdi in it to see what it's like as i've never heard anything good about it. I had a PSA 1.6 110ps in my old mk2 focus and it was alright but had very annoying valley of nothing before the turbo came on which really sucked at junctions. The 1.4D4D in my Yaris however is far far better as it just pulls from idle with no valley of death.

Soldato
I had that 1.6tdi in an ibiza last year and I can echo all those statements, its terrible. Noisy, unrefined and slow. They do seem to fit a 5 speed box with it as well so motorway travel was especially noisy. It wasn't very economical either.

Soldato
The gearbox is because the completely terrible EU emissions test actually gives lower CO2 figures with a 5 speed. I think the 1.6 TDI exists for people who only care about getting from A to B, if you actually like cars and driving you shouldn't be anywhere near one :p

1.6tdi in an Ibiza is not the same as the 1.6 in the Octavia btw

Soldato
I think the 1.6 TDi is aimed at the massive company fleet market where <100g/km is more important than anything else. Is this the same engine as you can find in the new Passat or has it been heavily beefed up for that application?

I had a look round a few new Skoda's the other day as they had the local delaership displaying a few in the town centre and while I like the new Octavia I thought the VRS was quite tacky. Nasty touches like the silly exhaust trims on the diesel which actually cover half of one of the pipes and OTT wheels didn't help.

Soldato
OP
The gearbox is because the completely terrible EU emissions test actually gives lower CO2 figures with a 5 speed. I think the 1.6 TDI exists for people who only care about getting from A to B, if you actually like cars and driving you shouldn't be anywhere near one :p

1.6tdi in an Ibiza is not the same as the 1.6 in the Octavia btw

I get that, but t what bugs me about it is even other 1.6 diesels are notably better imo yet you rarely see this picked up on. Just as an overall package I think it's crap. Done 40mpg average too which is pretty pathetic. I''d prefer even a na 1.6 petrol and to wring the life out of it

Associate
You are mistaken in thinking that the worst diesel engine around at the moment is the 1.6 VAG TDI. It is a really poor engine but the 1.6's smaller sibling, the 1.2 TDI, is worse.

Associate
I had the 1.6TDi in a Jetta DSG as a courtesy car and it was quite pleasant to drive. I think that was mainly due to the DSG keeping it in its power band though. It certainly wasn't fast though although didn't feel much slower than my 2.0TDi CR140 manual golf. The MPG on the 1.6 was disappointing though, I only managed about 48mpg.

Had the 1.2TSi in a polo and really liked it, even pushing it quite hard it was averaging 45mpg on my drive to work.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I've had a Leon 1.2tsi that I found perfectly acceptable. In fact I've had what I assume is a 140 tdi Leon that I also found perfectly acceptable, it was a world away from this or any other vag 1.6 TDI I've driven
Maybe the gearbox makes a difference right enough, but the dsg isn't all that clever as an auto in my experience.

It probably doesn't help that the only other diesel I ever drive is an old 6 cylinder e39 530d which even a modern low powered 4 banger isn't comparing to - but then again it's done proper moon miles and likes a smoke!

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have a 1.6TDi probably the most hated car on here (Skoda, Estate and a POV spec 1.6TDi) but to me its a brilliant tool, perfect for a child and huge boot space for plenty of equipment, its very safe and does its job perfectly.

I agree 6th gear is a must, you get a lot of engine noise in the cabin past 75, 65-70 is a nice medium its ideal speed IMO for motorway refinement, its no German executive saloon but its neither a Ford Transit, Its more than good enough.

The steering and ride are well suited to this car, its not a 911 you feel connected to the road and the ride is comfortable, your not exactly Nigel Mansel in a F1 car, its a Skoda it corners good and the breaks are sharp and you get good pedal feel.

MPG is very good, the image below is heavy traffic and it achieved good MPG given the conditions. I regularly see 60+ over a full tank on the M62 and A1M.

Anyway IMO a better drive than the current Focus and Astra :)

2015_03_09_21_44_36.jpg

2015_03_09_21_42_17.jpg

20140619_110438.jpg

Don't hate :)

Soldato
OP
You have maybe picked me up wrong -I like most things about the Octavia, but hate that engine. I'm afraid nothing will change my mind about it as I drive this type of car every couple of weeks and I can absutely guarantee you the engine is awful even in similar company.

The ride and handling are perfectly acceptable, but it pitches and wallows where even its own stablemates don't without any noticeable drop in ride quality. Just because you're driving a family car doesn't mean you don't ever want to attempt to carry speed through some corners. It's far from terrible though

I do agree though that the Octavia in general is a preferable place to be compared to the astra or (pre facelift at least) focus. This one has a bit more of that perceptive feeling of solidness you get from most German (or derivative of) marques.

Taking the engine out of the equation (I don't really find 50mpg impressive almost every 2.0tdi will do that) I think the only similarly priced car (assuming no golf or the like) I'd want over it in the class is the Leon, and given it's the same car that's more a style thing.

Last edited:
Permabanned
It was 9hrs sat in very slow moving traffic, I thought it was quite good :) but yeah a 1.6 is never going to be impressive. Makes sense for co2 and tax reasons. Would have been nice to get the 2.0.

It does feel like a quality product, the LOL plastictastic Mk3 Focus was a mess inside.

Soldato
Taking the engine out of the equation (I don't really find 50mpg impressive almost every 2.0tdi will do that) I think the only similarly priced car (assuming no golf or the like) I'd want over it in the class is the Leon, and given it's the same car that's more a style thing.

I get 51mpg out of my Mk3 vRS diesel as well

Associate
Interested to see a few folks make reference to the TSi petrol engines. I have a 2012MY Skoda Superb, with the 125hp 1.4TSi, and a six speed manual gearbox. It just seems so wrong for such a small capacity engine in a car of this size, but it works for me. It is not the highly stressed higher output 1.4 which gave problems in a variety of VAG products , but instead has a turbo engineered to enhance low rev torque rather than out and out power. It suits my driving style (reasonably laid back), and averages 43-45mpg.

At my typical 12K miles per year, and those consumption figures, I haven't regretted going back to petrol after 20 years a diesel fan. And I still smile when I pull up at a set of lights and someone in the car says "Oh, has this got that 'stop-start' system?" With a smile, I reply "no, the engine is just so quiet at idle that you can barely hear it running"

Soldato
I've got a 1.6 TDI in my A3 Sport and it's fine?

I had to choose between the 1.2 TFSI and the 1.6 TDI and as I do high mileage it was an easy choice. Yes it isn't fast, it's a small diesel, however I've never had any issue with lag or noise. If I wasn't choosing from a list I'd have gone for a 1.4 TFSI or the 2.0 TDI without a doubt but that wasn't an option. I didn't get an Octavia or a Passat for the fact that a 110PS 1.6 TDI must be dreadful in a saloon?

Last edited:
Associate
I've got a 1.6 TDI in my A3 Sport and it's fine?

I had to choose between the 1.2 TFSI and the 1.6 TDI and as I do high mileage it was an easy choice. Yes it isn't fast, it's a small diesel, however I've never had any issue with lag or noise. If I wasn't choosing from a list I'd have gone for a 1.4 TFSI or the 2.0 TDI without a doubt but that wasn't an option. I didn't get an Octavia or a Passat for the fact that a 110PS 1.6 TDI must be dreadful in a saloon?

This sums up my experience doing 60k with that engine is a VW Golf too. In fact people where often quick to comment how quiet it was.

Soldato
This sums up my experience doing 60k with that engine is a VW Golf too. In fact people where often quick to comment how quiet it was.

I came from a 1.3 CDTI Corsa, I stalled loads before I got used to how quiet the engine was in comparison.

Yeah, the 1.6TDI isn't as fast as the 2.0 Turbo TFSI and blah blah, it's not a bad engine in a small car though, just don't expect to be racing around with it.

Back
Top Bottom