Koenigsegg Regera

Soldato
Then there's an Aston Martin Vulcan with a 7.0 litre V12.

Nothing new apart from that then, McClaren have decided to release a car that looks the same as their others (again) :p

Last edited:
Soldato
It must be variable in some way so the revs aren't directly related to road speed, it must be similar to a CVT in some way.

I do love how Koenigsegg are so out there and different, they really do come up with some great stuff. I'm still waiting for their pneumatic valves though, that will truly revolutionize ICE

Soldato
it looks awesome and sounds like an absolute monster.

Question - for normal driving how will it work with 1 gear? Im confused :S

It just revs really high. The engine is connected directly to the final drive, there's no transmission in the car at all.

Normally this would be a problem with a combustion engine because of the difficulty of getting a car moving with a relatively high gear ratio and lack of torque / power low down the rev range, but this is counteracted by the presence of the massively torquey electric motors.

Soldato
it looks awesome and sounds like an absolute monster.

Question - for normal driving how will it work with 1 gear? Im confused :S

Electric motors. You can run the coupling open and run the engine to drive the other motors if the battery is low aswell. The space and weight of the batteries is halfway cancelled by removing the gearbox aswell. CvK says the mass increase of the EV system is 88kg over a regular 7 speed dual clutch layout.

Caporegime
He owns a Tesla and loves the instant torque and seemless acceleration so wanted that aspect of electric cars but with a huge 1100hp on top.

The car peak power is 1500hp. Peak engine power and peak electric power are at different places.

Associate
So is this a concept? It just says that '80 will be built' but no mention if it has entered testing etc.

It seems like a massive jump for such a small volume manufacturer, but they don't seem to make promises they can't keep.

Re driving in one gear - on my Ampera it's really fantastic, smooth torque delivery with no gear interruptions really do add to the smoothness that an electric power-train can deliver.

Associate
On the subject of electric cars, I was behind a black Tesla Model S P85D yesterday morning, heading onto the Kingston Bridge (M8) in Glasgow. Now that's not something you see in Glasgow very often!

Last edited:
Soldato
I snapped an image of it on my phone - I've only ever seen these in California - the right-hand boot badge definitely has 4 characters (not very clear) - so I was assuming P85D?

Could have been an older P85+. Fair few of those around. Only just done mainland European launch for P85D, was near Lapland. Not sure if there are any in the UK yet but don't think there are.

Back
Top Bottom