Building your own garden shed

Soldato
Anyone ever done it from scratch?

Thought that I want to have a go at this rather than just buy one. Been looking at a few plans/designs on the Net and it seems easy enough so.

Anyone ever done it?

Soldato
I helped my brother make a shed - he lives on a boat and boatyard let's them have a 8x6 shed (looking at it it might be 8x8) - they put down a slab base and we built the shed - We made a base using treated 3x3 fence posts then put 3/4 Ply on top as shed floor - we then used truss clips at corners and at any other upright then another 3x2 frame on top - we then built a pitch roof frame and put 1/2" ply on roof - the whole frame was then lined horizontally with roofing felt and then T&G board around outside - A window was also built in.

It was expensive but a very solid shed.

410950272.jpg

410950274.jpg

410950276.jpg

410950277.jpg

You can cut costs by using ship lap but would recommend lining with roofing felt to keep out draught's - The damp course you see on bottom of base is stapled uderneath then folded up before T&G is fitted to keep water from seeping up sides.

Dave

Soldato
I have built a few outdoor buildings for other people but bought a shed for myself as it worked out cheaper than buying the materials as I wanted it to be pressure treated. I erected it myself, but it wasn't as fun as building from scratch.

If it's a big shed i'd rent out a nailgun when you're ready to clad it. It'll make the job a lot faster and they are good fun to use :cool:. If the cladding is very dry then leave space for it to expand, If its damp then you can butt them up tight. If I was building one from scratch i'd take the opportunity to stain the cladding before fixing it to the shed so you can coat the tongues and grooves for extra protection.

Have you got a link to the plan you are going to use?

One thing I would suggest is to build it in sections, that way you can take it apart if you ever need to.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have oodles of time and prefer to have a go at building one. I have 4 carpenters working for me that can jump in to help if I get stuck but I doubt I will. I'm using old 2x4s for my frame that I got for free. I'll stick builders paper on the exterior side of the shuttering and treated ply on the inside. Not sure what I want to use for cladding yet.

Will link the plan when I get back home. Out and about right now.

Back
Top Bottom