The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Soldato
The Philips, like pretty much any VA panel, does have some pixel transitions that are considerably slower than others. This usually occurs where some dark and lighter shades intertwine. With your mud on rocks example in Skyrim, for example, it's quite probable that some of those slower pixel transitions are coming into play, which causes the textures to smear over each other a bit.

Soldato
How about the £1,000 LG monitor I bought from here that keeps cutting out, and LG haven't done anything about it.

if it keeps cutting out then continue to keep contacting LG they will give in sooner or later. or even take it higher. don't just let them wake over u. you've spent a lot of money on something thats faulty.

Associate
yes i get that ghosting too, its a very small thing that i didnt notice until pointed out, so not a big problem for me personally. and besides i only paid £605 for my monitor.

Associate
Hey, i just got this monitor and i found the same thing with the plastic around the bezel next to the philips logo, it is a nightmare to remove and it looks terrible !! How did you manage to get rid of it??? Mines all frayed and all over the place around it, looks so tacky ;( I literally cannot get rid of it, impossible to grip and very hard to get anything that can get it out to be honest !

Yes this had me seething. Does anyone at Philips think about the product??

Re: colours and dark / light fading issue, I turned smart contrast off. It's too weird the way it auto adapts the brightness. Makes the monitor feel like it's faulty. At least that's my personal preference on settings, this is a cracking monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey, i just got this monitor and i found the same thing with the plastic around the bezel next to the philips logo, it is a nightmare to remove and it looks terrible !! How did you manage to get rid of it???

Just unscrew the nameplate that holds the Philips logo and the power LED, then remove plastic film and reattach.

Not ideal, but much cleaner.

Soldato
Can people please post the settings they're using? I've been playing with mine for a month now and have settled on the following. I feel these give the best balance of light & dark contrast, rich shadows, and good RGB colour balance. But I haven't done proper testing with calibration tools.

Picture Format : 1:1
Brightness: 100%
Contrast: 100%
Sharpness: 50%
Smart Response: Off
Smart Contrast: Off
Gamma 2.6
Pixel Orbiting: On
Overscan: Off
PIP/PBP Mode: Off
Color: User Define
- Red: 100
- Green: 94
- Blue: 84
DisplayPort 1.2 (to run at 60Hz)

Soldato
Can people please post the settings they're using? I've been playing with mine for a month now and have settled on the following. I feel these give the best balance of light & dark contrast, rich shadows, and good RGB colour balance. But I haven't done proper testing with calibration tools.

Gamma 2.6

Contrast and brightness at 100% will totally eliminate off whites and even light to light/medium greys. I would suggest that you use no more than 60% contrast with 100% brightness.

To see what I mean respond to this post and see if you can see the scrollbar at the right side of the text box with your current settings. It should be fairly contrasted with various light greys on show.

Soldato

Gamma 2.6

My god, 100% brightnes and contrast?

Your rgb is same/similar to mine, but contrast left in default with brightness 100 during day, but 40 at night, gamma on 2.2, then calibrated with spider 4. I keep meaning to share profile.

Associate
Brightness: 75%
Contrast: 55%
Gamma 2.6

Color: 6500K

Elite looks fantastic... space is black!

Soldato
Picture Format : wide screen
Contrast: 58%
Gamma 2.2

Color: user

DisplayPort 1.2

calibrated it via phillips software

Soldato
Isnt gamma 2.6 too dark for everyday use? Or is that a special setting only for Elite?

It seems to me that gamma 2.6 is necessary for rich blacks - I can understand the comments about my 100% brightness/contrast being excessive, but it seems the gamma setting makes the biggest difference with contrast.

Adjusting the brightness & contrast on this screen doesn't seem to have the usual/expected effect.

Associate
Isnt gamma 2.6 too dark for everyday use? Or is that a special setting only for Elite?
I use it for everything :)

It seems to me that gamma 2.6 is necessary for rich blacks - I can understand the comments about my 100% brightness/contrast being excessive, but it seems the gamma setting makes the biggest difference with contrast.

Adjusting the brightness & contrast on this screen doesn't seem to have the usual/expected effect.
^^this

Soldato
just watched Transformers - Age of Extinction bluray on it. with the settings i posted above. i must say wow!!! it was colourful, so clear, deep black, while is perfect while

Back
Top Bottom