• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

IC Diamond -Performance v Quality and Reliability

Associate
Note, the 5.5mm example relates to a 30mm X 30mm square size. For larger or smaller square sizes you would ratio the amount i.e. 15mm X15mm = 2.75mm 1/2 pea size

For a quarter the area you use half as much? Why not 1/4 pea?

Edit: Is the 2.75mm meant to be the diameter of the blob? So halving the size of you 'pea' in two axis to end up with 1/4 of a pea in volume? Though I'd imagine it'd end up being smaller in the 3rd dimension too, so would end up even less... hmm.

Associate
Due to the viscosity of ICD diamond and even some of the SHIN-ETSU compound, there is quite a bit of surface tension created when you have two surfaces pushed together for a long period.

What you need to do is to break this surface tension of gently twisting the CPU BLOCK/Heatsink 45 degrees back and forth a few times. That should solve any problems you have.

You mean interfacial tension? Also, if it increased then the two surfaces would simply not like to be together and so it would be easier to separate them. As far as lowering the interfacial tension goes, again I don't see how it is chemically possible. Are you perhaps referring to capillary pressure?

Soldato
Would it be safe to put the tube in a zip lock bag and put the bag in some warm water to soften up the TIM ?

I'm planning on putting this on my 295X2 but as it is now it comes out rock solid and I don't want to risk cracking the GPU dies.

Associate
OP
Would it be safe to put the tube in a zip lock bag and put the bag in some warm water to soften up the TIM ?

I'm planning on putting this on my 295X2 but as it is now it comes out rock solid and I don't want to risk cracking the GPU dies.

Yes this is perfectly safe and indeed many people employ this method of 'warming' the tube up.

As for myself I just leave it under my armpit for 10 mins.:D:D

As for cracking a GPU core, thermal paste would not do that other circumstances would cause that issue but not ANY manufacturer's paste will not crack a GPU core.

Anyway ARMPIT method is the easiest solution, however use which method you feel most comfortable with.

As far as it coming out solid? YOU mean dried up? To be honest I have never had that (even long before working for ICD)

Long ago back in 2009 I received (when i first heard about ICD and did a review on the product)Ii received some ICD with the CLEAR tube tips of which I used for my own personal use ( started work with ICD in early 2014) these clear tubes are still usable and not dried out.

Regards

Frost Dragon

Last edited:
Associate
Well I have had this on my 5820 for a few days .. and I have Stress Tested it a few times .. before I would have a spike showing a max at 77 but the CPU was generally lower but now I get a max at 74 so I am happy to report that its working a better then the AS5 was..

More expensive but looks like its working better so worth it.

Still my core 3 is always the one to get the high reading ... but glad to see that bit lower ...

wonder if my 4.5 clock will keep below 80 now

Soldato
ICD is has knocked AS5 off the top spot as my no1 TIM.

It beats AS5 in every area except price and ease of application.

I still use AS5 when building machines for other people for the above reasons but for ky own pc, it's worth the extra cost and hassle of applying it (which granted is just warming it up a bit).

Soldato
IC diamond is outstanding, in 4 years never once had to remove a CPU cooler to replace. I have used on graphics cards also, it always reduced the temp of any previous paste I used.

Soldato
IC diamond is outstanding, in 4 years never once had to remove a CPU cooler to replace. I have used on graphics cards also, it always reduced the temp of any previous paste I used.

My sons 1st PC Q955 4+ years MX2 temps have not changed one little bit.

Its on 24/7 now crunching for World Community Grid.:D

Back
Top Bottom