Replacing Windows - should we have new window boards?

Soldato
We are replacing all of the wooden framed windows in our house with some nice uPVC units.
The question I have is should we be also replace the wooden window boards/sills?

If so, what is the best option - plastic or wood again?

Tea Drinker
Don
Depends what you have at present and the construction. Any photo's?

Plastic windows normally come with a plastic cill. The rest depends on you. How much damage will there be by taking the old boards out. What condition are the original boards in. Are they painted and now you want treated timber etc etc.

I'd go for new oak boards with Danish oil.

Soldato
Wood inside as plastic is horrible and plastic outside as it matches the windows and is durable. Personally I wouldn't put plastic windows where you once had wood as they always look naff but that's just me.

Tea Drinker
Don
There's a massive difference between plastic window ranges. We've put sash plastic with bars in the glass and little mouldings that look like the original timber. They function like sash and tilt and looked fantastic.

However you are venturing into the cost bracket of composite then.

Cheap plastic windows look terrible shocker.

Soldato
OP
So this is our window and door quote details. The spec and price look good to me - any thoughts?

• Windows - featuring 9mm (rounded) square lead design and complete with white/chrome/gold/satin silver finished handles and trickle ventilators
  • Glass - A-rated, 28mm, twin-sealed, double glazed units which are manufactured as standard to include Planitherm© heat reflective glass, thermal spacer bar and argon gas filled to maximise insulation.
  • Profile - 70mm thick, multiple chamber profile with composite reinforcement for greater insulation.
  • Easy clean hinges - all side opening windows are fitted with stainless steel hinges that open fully to ninety degrees, and also feature a mechanism that allows the opening window to slide across into the centre for ease of cleaning.
  • Internal security beading - all windows and doors are internally glazed to prevent a would-be intruder removing the glass from the outside and entering your property.
  • Multipoint locks - all our multipoint window locks are insurance company approved, with all windows fitted with automatically locking handles and doors fitted with PAS24, police and insurance company approved multipoint mortice deadlocks.
Total cost for your 9 new windows : £5,775 inclusive of fitting and VAT
Total cost for your new Solidor composite door and sidelight: £1,650 inclusive of fitting and VAT.

Total : £7425

Window layout below

16214379184_980dc2a730_o.jpg

Soldato
Most of that is pretty basic, bar the composite reinforcing as this is usually steel or aluminium. But thats usually placed in the central chamber, so shouldn't affect thermal insulation too much anyway.

Price isn't too bad though. What is the spec of the door? You could get the top spec rock door for that price.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Looks nice which website and company was that ?

Does not look like it includes doing the board/sills?

Soldato
There's a massive difference between plastic window ranges. We've put sash plastic with bars in the glass and little mouldings that look like the original timber. They function like sash and tilt and looked fantastic.

However you are venturing into the cost bracket of composite then.

Cheap plastic windows look terrible shocker.

Plastic sashes always make me think of vegetarian sausages for some reason ...

Soldato
I still have wooden window sills on the inside. Original 100 year old feature. Why would I want that replaced with plastic. The wooden windows weren't original so that didn't matter.

Tea Drinker
Don
UPVC windows should be around £150 - 200 sqm
The door looks a tad dear if installed as drawn, a composite door fitted is £800 - 900 fitted so the rest is the side pane? make sure the hinged side is reinforced otherwise it won't last long just screwed into the plastic profile, ideally you want the hinge on the brickwork side.

Don't believe bays are any more expensive unless they are structural.

Back
Top Bottom