• Every couple of weeks

Votes: 154 21.6%
  • Roughly once a month

Votes: 97 13.6%
  • Every couple of months

Votes: 53 7.4%
  • Every few months

Votes: 50 7.0%
  • Longer than every few months (specify)

Votes: 25 3.5%
  • Never

Votes: 28 3.9%

• Total voters
Soldato
My reason for asking the question was because when I bought a new pair of jeans on Thursday, the man in the shop started telling me how to wash them. I replied "people wash their jeans?" He smiled and said something along the lines of "oh good, you don't wash them, that's how it's supposed to be". We then had a discussion about washing/not washing jeans and he said that it's less hassle to give people basic washing instructions than try and explain why jeans shouldn't be washed unless absolutely necessary.

The 501s I'm wearing now haven't been washed since I got them which is just over seven months and the new pair I bought last week won't be washed either unless they absolutely need it.

They don't smell, they're not disgusting and the only way you'd know they haven't been washed is if I told you. Which I just have!

I voted "every couple of months", but to be honest, I actually only wash them with that regularity if they are lying around and I'm putting a wash together. More often than not, I just wait until they need a wash because something has been spilt on them or they've got excessively dirty.

Associate
Anyone who wears jeans for more than week must smell horrible, it doesnt matter how clean you are 3-4 days of wearing the same jeans is probably the limit, any longer and they start smell. Kids can get away with it, adults can't, the amount of people I've interviewed over years that stink is just shocking.

Even if you can't smell it, it's likely people around you will so be considerate and wash your damn clothes. :mad:

Last edited:
Associate
Washed immediately if they become filthy from doing something such as crawling under the car in the garage.

When worn normally about the house & outside, maybe once a month. They definitely don't start stinking after only 1 week!

Associate
Only when they start feeling like cardboard. Jeans should NOT be washed often.

It varies a lot, most £40-60 jeans I've had last over a year with frequent washing with moderate colour loss. Yet some branded jeans at £80+ are heavily discoloured and in some cases falling apart in 3 months.

How long do you need them to last? I think a year is pretty good, are you trying to make them last a decade or something? Are you really that cheap?

Soldato
Anyone who wears jeans for more than week must smell horrible, it doesnt matter how clean you are 3-4 days of wearing the same jeans is probably the limit, any longer and they start smell. Kids can get away with it, adults can't, the amount of people I've interviewed over years that stink is just shocking.

Even if you can't smell it, it's likely people around you will so be considerate and wash your damn clothes. :mad:

Not everyone is a stinky person like you :D one of my jeans I haven't washed in 3-4 months, it doesn't smell at all, its not dirty, so why should I clean it?

What you are describing is OCD, it's a disorder and I call it a disorder because i've been there and done that, used to clean my clothes nearly everyday, even sitting on a bus seat or train used to make me clean all my clothes, wash hair everyday, have showers couple of times a day, etc, its a disorder and its irrational behavhiour.

If your clothes is stinking out after every few days, then improve your personal hygiene, clean your backside after a poo properly, take a wee properly on a seated toilet instead of a nasty urinal and having bits of urine on your clothes, stop sweating so much and have a shower more often, etc. :D

Associate
one of my jeans I haven't washed in 3-4 months

That's disgusting. :rolleyes:

If your clothes is stinking out after every few days, then improve your personal hygiene, clean your backside after a poo properly, take a wee properly on a seated toilet instead of a nasty urinal and having bits of urine on your clothes, stop sweating so much and have a shower more often, etc

For any adults that are active all clothes start to smell after a few days, it's normal and there is nothing you can do about it. If you don't have this problem you are either a child or your musky smell is now so bad your sense of smell has all but gone.

I work in HR, I've had to tell a lot of deluded people they stink, I gave up being polite about it years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a very string sense of smell, so much so I can't eat some type of food cos it make smy taste buds too sensitive, so I would know if my clothes stank, i've just smelt three of my main jeans, the 3 months unwashed one, the washed but worn couple of times one and a brand new one worn a handful of time so far, and neither of them smell, or have any smell, i'm not over lying or over exaggerating when I say that.

Compare that to my t shirts, I just smelt one I havent washed in a month and it does have that feint sweat smell, although you have to sniff pretty hard to smell it, but being the winter I haven't sweated as much as in the summer, and when I do sweat its always on upper torso body area, I don't seem to sweat at all on my legs. I don't know if this makes any difference to clothes but I work in a permanent air conned room.

PS: I change my undies once every 3 weeks, it usually smells of cauliflower. :D

Soldato
For any adults that are active all clothes start to smell after a few days, it's normal and there is nothing you can do about it. If you don't have this problem you are either a child or your musky smell is now so bad your sense of smell has all but gone.

Yeah that's rubbish. Try reading some articles posted in this thread which debunk this.

Soldato
It varies a lot, most £40-60 jeans I've had last over a year with frequent washing with moderate colour loss. Yet some branded jeans at £80+ are heavily discoloured and in some cases falling apart in 3 months.

How long do you need them to last? I think a year is pretty good, are you trying to make them last a decade or something? Are you really that cheap?

Clothing lasting a decade? As long as it still fits and hasn't fallen apart. Absolutely. Am I cheap? Umm no.

Soldato
The CEO of Levi's was on the news here a few months back saying that he rarely washes his jeans, this might be from 'green' POV, however.

I only wash mine when my wife doesn't beat me to it. She thinks it's disgusting if they're not washed every week. I'd happily go a month or so without washing them, depends how much **** they get all over them.

Associate
Never. Have hand washed and dry cleaned once and the texture/drape of the cotton is irreversibly changed.

I've got tops as well that will never seen a washing machine and until absolutely necessary a dry cleaner either.

Associate
This is nothing but complete and absolute rubbish. I'll give you an example, last weekend I walked nearly nine miles on Saturday and around fifteen miles on Sunday, both days wearing

I could beleive that if they we put on clean that day or the previous day, unless your very sweaty or you were working out you should be fine for 3-4 days. Those that are quite fit can go longer and equally those who are not may need wash them sooner.

Nobody is the same, I run half marathons every year, walk to work and cycle so I'm a fairly active person.

4-5 days and my jeans get that moist feel to them and a slight smell which isnt great, not so bad that people would notice but I'd rather not take a chance as I don't think it's fair to others.

It's not pleasent when your interviewing a colleague with a odor issue which they're completely oblivious to, or to encourter people on public transport like this, in fact it's pretty horrible. (insert puke smiley)

Back
Top Bottom