Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game

Associate
OP
Loved the few games I've played so far.

Has anyone toyed around with creating any campaign settings for the game? If so, what have you found works/doesn't work?

I've put a few ideas together that I'm going to try out with my group but they will need lots & lots of play testing, balancing etc ... which is a great excuse to play more :p.

Draft Ideas

Soldato
Managed to get a whole game yesterday, superb despite not quite knowing what we were doing. 2 players so no betrayal/exile but some crazy situations led to a surprising result in the secret objective!

Associate
Seems utterly impossible to get a copy in the UK currently. I emailed them and apparently 30k are being produced for the next run, 20k of which are going straight to pre-orders.

Soldato
I've played this twice now, quite a good game although I would say the crossroads cards don't really work as well I thought/hoped when I first read of them. Still a decent solid game though with enough replayability and theme.

The two scenarios we've used have been pretty easy (group of 5, first one was the suggested starting scenario) so as a group we've managed to complete both, although it was kinda close in the second game. First game me and 1 other got our secret objectives to win \o/ Second game I stupidly let it slip that I'd got my objective on the second to last persons go, he then voted to exile me and it succeeded :( I hadn't really thought of using the exile bit like that until then...

Amusingly his objective was for 3 people to have died, he'd set it up so that should've happened but the last player managed to save 1 so he didn't win, which made me a feel a bit better :p

PoD

PoD

Associate
I love this game.

Without the hidden missions it is a hard game of survival and tough decisions that even at the best of times can lead to your inevitable demise. The game is so involving for everyone and often sparks debates over rations and actions...Now throw in the hidden objectives and OMG the traitors and there is a constant questioning over every move you make. Do we really have enough fuel to survive or are we looking at being overrun...

My advice is always go to the police station first because having a weapon makes the game so much easier, the truck driver with a shotgun is freaking awesome. The police station, gas station and grocery store are always a must in all the games I have played.

Soldato
Played this yesterday for the first time. Think it went down well with my friends (who are mostly non-gamers but are happy for me to introduce them to new games on a regular basis). Was fairly slow going whilst we worked out the rules etc. and I explained everything to them. Was a fairly enjoyable game, we didn't have a betrayer.

We didn't have too much tension in the game, we always managed to get the crisis completed and the main objective was completed without too many issues. I am not sure everyone understood the fact that getting the main objective didn't mean we all won. So we only had one person who won the game. Looking forward to giving it another go when everyone has a better grasp of the rules and also throwing a betrayer in to the mix.

Soldato
Man we must be useless at the game, played twice lost twice, was close this time though. Was 4 food short of the main objective (even without a betrayer). Keep reading other reviewers say it was quite easy to win.

Soldato
We played our first game tonight - it was good fun. The starting mission seemed a bit easy, although we may have just been lucky. One question - some survivors had a special skill for killing zombies at the colony with a no. in brackets in the description. I couldn't see anything in the rule book that mentioned the significance of the no. We took it to be the amount of survivors you need in the colony to use it. Anyone know for sure?

Soldato
I think that is in reference to a dice roll so you can use an action dice for that ability assuming the action dice has the correct value on it.

i.e If the card has (4+) on it you need to use an action dice with the value 4,5 or 6

Back
Top Bottom