Do you have a domain name?

Keo

Keo

Associate
When you setup your email address for your domain do you use first [email protected] or do you use something different for the first part?

Primarily its mail@ (catch all) but there are a few exceptions (duplication & forwarding) where the Mrs will get a CC (kids school), the odd website might be website@. I don't use it for junk sites/torrents still use a nondescript gmail account for things like that.

It does cost a few £'s per year but overall its well worth it, something I've never regretted. Looks professional on a CV also but I suppose that depends on who's reading it.

I hate to see business cards, company cars/vans with a domain name and then a ISP/gmail/outlook email address. If you can purchase forenamesurname.extension to me its a no brainier.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I have a domain now cost £3.50 for the year so not to bad. Just deciding where to host my email and whether to try and make my own website from scratch or just build one with 1 and 1 or someone similar

Associate
I always wanted one, but never got round to it. Read this thread, then spent the last hour trying to make a domain containing my name which isn't taken! Got there in the end though.
Atleast you got there in the end. I've looked before and tried the other night too, and cannot get anything with just my surname or both firstname and surname, even including hyphens most if not all seemed to have been taken. Might have to just include a number in it.

Soldato
OP
So, now I've got a domain name, can anyone suggest a good/cheap email host?

The free account with Zoho is good, certainly worth a look.

Just signed up myself for a free Zoho account, you get 5 free email addresses as well and its very easy to setup. Just configured my godaddy domain with them and can now send and receive via my iphone as well.

Soldato
eng.im

I have had it for about five years, I was intending to build an engineering website, but have not yet got around to it. Nice and short though.

For interest .im is an Isle of man reg.

Soldato
Atleast you got there in the end. I've looked before and tried the other night too, and cannot get anything with just my surname or both firstname and surname, even including hyphens most if not all seemed to have been taken. Might have to just include a number in it.

I went with first initial-surname.com

Soldato

You can try double hyphens as a last resort fred--smith.com has not been registered

Back
Top Bottom