Kojima to leave Konami after MGS V

Caporegime
A fallout between Kojima Productions and its owning publisher, Konami, has led to senior staff at the studio being restricted access to corporate internet, emails, and phone, GameSpot understands.

Along with the restricted communications, key developers at the studio, such as Hideo Kojima, will now have limited opportunities to lend their appearance to promotions of the studio’s upcoming game, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain.

Power struggles between Kojima Productions and Konami have convinced the publisher to make drastic changes, including amending the employee status of its Metal Gear team. Some senior staff at the studio, including Kojima, now essentially work as contractors, not permanent employees.

The extraordinary measures were revealed by a source within Konami, speaking to GameSpot on the condition of anonymity. The person explained that, once the Phantom Pain project is finished, in all likelihood the management at the studio will disband.

"After we finish MGSV, Mr. Kojima and upper management will leave Konami. They said their contract ends in December," the source claimed.

The person added: "At a team meeting, Mr Kojima explained that team have to be one and make a good game for fans."

In other developments, Konami has begun removing the Kojima Productions logo from all official Metal Gear art, and it has removed Kojima from its executive team. Meanwhile, Kojima Productions’ branding has also been removed from Twitter, the official Metal Gear website, and even the LA office listing.

Representatives for Konami would not discuss specifics of the matter when contacted by GameSpot. The corporation has offered a statement, however.

It reads: "Konami Digital Entertainment, including Mr. Kojima, will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements."

The corporation's public relations team, based in Tokyo, is unavailable at the time of going to press, due to it being past midnight local time.

Metal Gear Solid 5, Kojima’s latest iteration in the famed series, ships in September on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, and PC.

An expanded statement from Konami follows: "As we have already announced, we are shifting our production structure to a headquarters-controlled system, in order to establish a steadfast operating base capable of responding to the rapid market changes that surround our digital entertainment business. Konami Digital Entertainment (including Mr. Kojima), will continue to develop and support Metal Gear products. Please look forward to future announcements."

Source: Gamespot

His name has also been stripped from marketing material for MGS V, no longer says "A Hideo Kojima game".

Konami are already saying they wil be working on a new MGS game following this fallout.

Did not see this one coming. Hopefully this doesn't affect Del Toro and Silent Hills.

Soldato
I read this. I am not sure what to think. Will he start his own studio. Move to another studio? He has bee the face of konami for some time.. Sad in a way but I guess everyone moves on.

See what happens I guess.

Caporegime
RIP MGS, I dont expect Konami to care for their IP anyway near as much as Kojima did. Silent Hills I guess still has P.T. as its blueprint...

I dont expect Konami to stay in the videogame space (dont think it matters that much to their bottom line IIRC), I dont think they created a new IP for donkeys...

Could be the best thing to happen to Kojima, but what publisher is gonna give him the time and resources, MGS like GT are like what they are because of their gestation period.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Konami has put out a press release today assuring fans of the Metal Gear series that they will continue development on the series beyond MGSV:TPP. They also announce that they will be developing a new Metal Gear series, and they are looking to recruit brand new main staff members for the team. They are seeking people with experience working in high end game development, have creative ideas, passion for games, and good communication skills.

This will be me done with the series and not purchasing anything from Konami again, not that they produce much outside of MGS/PES these days anyway.

Can't believe they are removing 'A Hideo Kojima Game' from all the promotion,inevitably the final game AND previous games. **** them, **** company, feel bad handing over money for Phantom Pain, will follow Hideo wherever he goes, in a league of his own

Could be the best thing to happen to Kojima, but what publisher is gonna give him the time and resources, MGS like GT are like what they are because of their gestation period.

Valve could be a great fit although will never happen I guess, happy to take as long as it needs to get something right and not under pressure to pump out sequels. It will be awesome to see what he comes up with if he stays in the industry.

Soldato
This will be me done with the series and not purchasing anything from Konami again, not that they produce much outside of MGS/PES these days anyway.

Can't believe they are removing 'A Hideo Kojima Game' from all the promotion,inevitably the final game AND previous games. **** them, **** company, feel bad handing over money for Phantom Pain, will follow Hideo wherever he goes, in a league of his own

Valve could be a great fit although will never happen I guess, happy to take as long as it needs to get something right and not under pressure to pump out sequels. It will be awesome to see what he comes up with if he stays in the industry.

Overclockers Overreaction 2015 Award goes to...

Soldato
First they got rid of david hayter and now Hideo kojima. Its a very sad loss, I loved the series, its right up there with final fantasy for me. I will be buying phantom pain, but im a bit worried for the series after that.

Soldato
No it isnt:D

I would have added lots more big grins but the david hayter and kojima news has been a heavy blow.

I have a feeling Kojima wanted the Phantom Pain to be the last MGS, but Konami didn't like the idea of killing of one of its most prestigious ips.

Sort of like what happened with Team Silent after the third Silent Hill game.

Associate
Kojima wont be short of offers thats for sure :)

Not been into MGS for a while...will be interesting to see how Konami handle the series without Kojima at the helm.

Back
Top Bottom