Sky Fibre Optic

Soldato
OK, interesting discovery made last night. I looked up Rotten Tomatoes on Wikipedia and clicked on the link to the site at the bottom of its Wikipedia page, it took a few seconds but the site loaded. I can look up films on the site. Comparatively if I try to visit Rotten Tomatoes via the bookmark/keyword in my browser the site never loads.

I reckon this is then a DNS issue. I checked out the router settings last night and couldn't find any evidence of an external DNS being used so I wondered if my router is using Sky's default DNS? I just checked my DNS settings using the ipconfig /all command and got 192.168.1.1 which is my router's IP address. I'm doing a Namebench check now to see what servers it recommends for DNS.

Soldato
But if it was a DNS issue the site would load via IP? Set Google DNS, 8.8.8.8 and see what happens?
I had set that in my router but that didn't seem to work. I couldn't understand why the direct link from Wikipedia was working but nothing else was. I think I have just solved it. Both my bookmark and Google try www.rottentomatoes.com, however Wikipedia's Rotten Tomatoes page links to https://www.rottentomatoes.com. For some reason Rotten Tomatoes isn't redirecting me from either www.rottentomatoes.com or http://www.rottentomatoes.com to https://www.rottentomatoes.com.

So a) why does Rotten Tomatoes NEED HTTPS and b) why isn't the site redirecting me? :confused::rolleyes:

Soldato
Today is my activation date.

Just got home.

4188737076.png

Praise be to Jesus of the Sky! :D:D

Caporegime
Been on Sky Unlimited for a year, today I've ordered Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro! So I should get up to 80meg, although he says my line will probably stabilise around 75ish :D

Only £10 extra on top

Associate
I currently have Sky Fibre (80/20) using the Open Reach modem and the Sagem 2504n (i.e. complete rubbish).

My new router arrives today, which is the ASUS RT-AC66U.

Can anyone confirm if the stock-firmware has now been updated by ASUS to allow Sky Fibre? (as to not require tinkering with Merlin firmware?)

It would be nice to just plug in the ASUS, plug the OpenReach into it, input the wireshark/Sky BB details in, and be done with it.

Associate
Seriously thinking about getting Sky Fibre Unlimited 38Mb.

Have some possible noob questions, ask in here instead of starting a whole new thread.

I live over 3.5km from my nearest exchange so as you can imagine ADSL is poor I currently download at about 150KB/s so about a 1.2Mb connection.

From what I understand this "fibre broadband" is basically fibre to the cabinet so there is "not much" deterioration because of the length of the wire affected is the copper from my house to the green cabinet so there is not much line attenuation etc. Would I be right in assuming I should be able to get near close enough the full 38Mb?

My other question is what equipment is needed for this new line to work? Obviously I'm guessing a new router but what about cables?

Currently I plug the router in the master bedroom phone line extension and run a Cat5 from the master bedroom into the office on the floor. It is against the walls so it isn't too obvious. I can't see an easy solution to get the Cat5 cables from the master socket in the living room to the upstairs office/master bedroom. Has anyone done this and know how much it would cost to do this?

Thanks for any help.

Back
Top Bottom